1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Center for Puppetry Arts taking down Henson exhibits this summer

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by Slackbot, Mar 20, 2013.

1. FrackleFan2012

FrackleFan2012 Well-Known Member

Wow! Amazing memory, even T.R Rooster!! That's awesome. The last time T.R appeared was in The Muppets: A Celebration of Thirty Years. I'm glad that you came into this exhibit.

2. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

i hope the new wing has ever muppet ever made..... just saying

WillyThePig and FrackleFan2012 like this.
  3. mupcollector1

mupcollector1 Well-Known Member

Well it would be kind of difficult if it was every Muppet ever made, I think it would be most of The Muppets that survived. Since foam does disintegrate, sadly some of the original puppets didn't survive and some did in storage. Plus also The Museum of The Moving Image is suppose to get another great share of The Muppets, Props, original sketches. But I have a feeling that Atlanta has the biggest collection of them all. Since it is indeed taking a long time, I still got my faith with it. Sometimes the things in the life that take a long time would become bigger and better then what we all were expecting. My prediction or perhaps it's something I've read, I don't remember...would be a walk through room almost like one of those walk through aquariums with a bunch of The Muppets on display. I'd love to go see it when it opens up, it's a great opertunaty to be able to get probably the closest to the actual Muppets used on The Muppet Show, Classic Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock, etc. Though mentioning on how foam disintegrates, I wonder if any of the original Gonzos survived since for many years his nose and mouth were made of un-fabric covered foam (Until Puppet Heap took over the Muppet Building, I think they use some sort of silky material, kind of like the Gonzo photo puppet replica).

4. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Well-Known Member

I have absolutely zero inside knowledge about this, but I would be patient. Millions of dollars have to be raised to finance the new wing and I'm sure it's a huge undertaking in the midst of a still-recovering economy.

It's good to know they are just rotating puppets. Incidentally, that is very common with museums exhibiting puppets. Not only does it help to keep the museum fresh and attract repeat visitors, but too much exposure to light and other environmental factors seriously degrades a lot of older puppets. Other museums with extensive puppet collections like the V&A Museum in London and the Detroit Institute of the Arts rotate the puppets have on display on a regular basis for those reasons.

5. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Bliffenstimmers likes this.