Center for Puppetry Arts taking down Henson exhibits this summer

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
You know, there are working on a Jim Henson wing. They'll be dedicating it mostly to not only well known shows and projects, but to some great lesser known things as well. Honestly I think it's worth the wait (but if they do start to lose business, they'd better get into the construction process)!
Great! Can you give me the source of the news?

CtrPuppetryArts

Reaction score
We apologize for any confusion. While our current special Jim Henson exhibits close this fall, this is so that we may prepare to start a comprehensive expansion that will increase our museum's available space. This was always the intent with these temporary, special exhibits.

It means we'll soon have more room to display even more items, including more puppets by Jim Henson and his collaborators. We'll be announcing more details soon, but until then don't fear that this is it - this is only the beginning!

Also, be aware that a few puppets in the current Henson exhibits are actually rotating out this week! Next Tuesday, March 26, there will be several new Henson puppets on display for you to enjoy. Rest assured the puppets that you mentioned -- the Skesis and the Pigs in Space characters -- will remain on view. Our recent addition of Cookie Monster will also remain on view until November, when he is swapped out for a new Henson puppet… but, we can’t tell you who just yet as we want it to be a surprise!

This is an exciting time for us here at the Center for Puppetry Arts - we encourage you to take part in the excitement as often as you can! And thanks for being fans of the Center and reading our guide so thoroughly!

--Melissa McCarriagher, Exhibitions Director, Center for Puppetry Arts

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
We apologize for any confusion. While our current special Jim Henson exhibits close this fall, this is so that we may prepare to start a comprehensive expansion that will increase our museum's available space. This was always the intent with these temporary, special exhibits.

It means we'll soon have more room to display even more items, including more puppets by Jim Henson and his collaborators. We'll be announcing more details soon, but until then don't fear that this is it - this is only the beginning!

Also, be aware that a few puppets in the current Henson exhibits are actually rotating out this week! Next Tuesday, March 26, there will be several new Henson puppets on display for you to enjoy. Rest assured the puppets that you mentioned -- the Skesis and the Pigs in Space characters -- will remain on view. Our recent addition of Cookie Monster will also remain on view until November, when he is swapped out for a new Henson puppet… but, we can’t tell you who just yet as we want it to be a surprise!

This is an exciting time for us here at the Center for Puppetry Arts - we encourage you to take part in the excitement as often as you can! And thanks for being fans of the Center and reading our guide so thoroughly!

--Melissa McCarriagher, Exhibitions Director, Center for Puppetry Arts
Thanks for the explanation, Melissa. I can't wait for more new puppets coming to the museum soon. :smile:

Msfunstuf

Reaction score
I was in Atlanta in Feb and had just a couple hours to visit the Museum. WOW. So enjoyed it, especially the Henson exhibit. I've been to Atlanta several times and did not know the museum was there. We will be back!

Slackbot

Reaction score
Ah. I must have misunderstood, because the program lists new exhibits going up in the spaces that those exhibits occupied. If the museum is expanding, this is very good news.

Thank you for giving us the official word, Melissa, and welcome to Muppet Central. I may be coming by around the end of April, as I have a bit of vacation time then.

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
I can't wait to go to Atlanta. It is really far away from my area. I can't wait to see the large bunch of Muppets that are going to be there. Maybe, they'll even add Muppets and Creature Shop puppets from productions after Jim's death such as Dinosaurs, Muppets Tonight, Farscape, Bear in the Big Blue House, and Mopatop's Shop.

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
For anyone who went to see the new Muppets on March 26th or later, which specific ones were there?

Slackbot

Reaction score
I went to the CPA today. Some puppets have been taken down and other puppets have been added. Here's what I can remember:

The Southern Colonel has been swapped out for T. R. Rooster.
Sir Didymus has been swapped out for some dolls from Sarah's room. There's a teddy bear, two clocks, a Firey, and Ludo.
Kermit has been moved to the Henson room, and Cookie Monster is in his place.
In the Henson room, Jim, The Swedish Chef, Rowlf, Ernie, and the La Choy Dragon have been taken down. King Goshposh and Sherlock Hemlock have been added. (I have no idea what Hemlock is doing in there, as Nelson performed him, not Jim.)

I spoke with some of the staff. They still have a new wing planned to be a permanent home for Henson-related puppets. They hope to have it open by the end of 2014. However, I'm not getting too excited, as we've been hearing about this for years. It was supposed to be open by now, and ain't nothing happened yet.

Regarding the removal of the Henson displays this summer, the staff didn't talk a whole lot about that, but the puppets are on display by courtesy of the Hensons, and I got the feeling that the CPA simply can't have the exhibits up forever.

I brought Janken with me, and he got to see a bit of his heritage. The staff liked him too.