CGI Overusage?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
What is Blue Sky? What movies have they created?
Blue Sky is yet another animation company, and they've done such movies as Ice Age, Ice Age: The Meltdown, Robots, and they were the ones who supplied the singing and tap-dancing cockroaches for Joe's Apartment.

They DID?:concern:
That's what I thought.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Did Mickey ever have much character to begin with? I mean, he always seemed really flat compared to Bugs Bunny or a certain green frog I could mention. :smile:
I always felt the same way before a friend corrected me. Mickey used to have much more of a mischievous side to him in his earlier works. These antics were then taken over by the duck and his actions resulted in more consequences. But I agree with you, no matter how his first few years were spent, Mickey has pretty much been a walking, falsetto-talking logo for many decades and the bulk of his career in animation. And how can anyone compete with Bugs?

I found the Oscars of 3 years or so ago refreshing. When the animated feature was between a Japanese 2-D feature and 2 stop motion films. Totally ignoring the CGI films made that year.

I feel that the oversaturisation will (and is starting) to weed out the unwanteds. A lot of 3rd or 4th party company CGI films have flopped like Hoodwinked and Happily never after. Sony has shaky ground as it is. So the real contest is between Dreamworks, Pixar and Blue Sky.
Sony does have a few tricks up its sleeve and a lot of capital. I wouldn't count them out of the animation game. They're still figuring it out. But I do agree that classically animated films are getting good Oscar exposure. However, in a world where the phenomenally terrible (and I reserve that judgment for very few things) Happy Feet picked up a statue last year. I'm beginning to think they've got chocolate inside 'em! I think the Academy just jumped on the penguin bandwagon. I found it stunning how any company could make penguins seem creepy and off-putting, but Happy Feet somehow manages to do so. Besides frogs, penguins are my fave among animals. :zany:

I digress. It was mentioned that Disney fired much of its 2D staff. That is correct. No 2D at Disney anymore. What made the company in the first place is gone and shopped out through other labor when needed. I'm not sure how the Frog Princess is being done. I think they just form a 2D production company for that single project to be disbanded after its completion? :sympathy:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I digress. It was mentioned that Disney fired much of its 2D staff. That is correct. No 2D at Disney anymore. What made the company in the first place is gone and shopped out through other labor when needed. I'm not sure how the Frog Princess is being done. I think they just form a 2D production company for that single project to be disbanded after its completion? :sympathy:
I thought that Lassiter was supposed to have changed that. I heard he was the new head of the animation wing, and he was going to make sure they would still do a few 2-D's.

It's a real shame we have to get nothing but CGI... I'm hideously disappointed we didn't even get a small release of Asterix and the Vikings. And we're clearly not going to get another French animated film, Lucky Luke Goes West. It's a shame our 2-D animation is defunct now, and other countries are thriving. I mean, the animation on both those bits of movies was amazing.

SSLFan

Reaction score
Disney animation really "jumped the shark" when they made Mickey's Twice Upon A Christmas in 3-D. Mickey and 3-D just doesn't mix right.:eek:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Disney animation really "jumped the shark" when they made Mickey's Twice Upon A Christmas in 3-D. Mickey and 3-D just doesn't mix right.:eek:
Agreed. The same is said with Sonic, and yet, both parent companies--Disney and Sega, respectively--tend to ruin their icon's legacies by thinking that making characters hip is always a good thing when the characters were good enough as they were.