Classic Cartoons in Syndication

sesameguy

Reaction score
That said, why don't we have anymore syndicated old cartoons? I'm sure that the companies (much like they did with various reruns of classic sitcoms) bought the rights all up to air on their respective cable channels, and they never actually get around to airing them.
I'd definitely enjoy seeing some of the old school Bugs Bunnys & Popeye cartoons again. (Nope, I don't have "Boomerang" either!) Even Disney channel doesn't regularly show its classic cartoons anymore. There have been some classic cartoon DVD releases (including one with several of the original B&W Popeye classics!) and that's good, but somehow it's just fun to watch them on the air without having to crank up the DVD player.

For that matter, I haven't seen classic shorts from "The Little Rascals" or "The Three Stooges" in years! If Eddie Murphy did his famous "Buckwheat" impersonation today, how many kids would be able to figure out who he was imitating?

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Three Stooges, ironically enough, is about the only thing listed that runs in my area. TV 38, Sunday mornings from 9-10:30, a Three Stooges hour...2 hours...and a half... uhhh...

And every New Years eve, we get a Marathon until 1 AM.

other than that, all classic cartoons are good for are Fan service collection DVD's, or cheap 1 dollar knockoffs with as many expired copyrights as possible. And poor skipping Quality too.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
If Eddie Murphy did his famous "Buckwheat" impersonation today, how many kids would be able to figure out who he was imitating?
That would depend on how many children were up late late enough at night to watch "Saturday Night Live". I mean he hasn't been on the show in years and I just don;'t see a reason he would have to pull out that old impression anyway? That being said, I suppose if somebody were to buy "The Best Of Eddie Murphy Series", You could also buy a 'The Little Rascals" collection as well. There are plenty of those. My cousins used to have a whole bunch of those. That being said, there are kids that haven't even seen the 1995 or so vision of the Little rascals.:smirk:

sesameguy

Reaction score
I mean he hasn't been on the show in years and I just don;'t see a reason he would have to pull out that old impression anyway? That being said, I suppose if somebody were to buy "The Best Of Eddie Murphy Series", You could also buy a 'The Little Rascals" collection as well.
Right, I don't think Eddie would really need to do it again unless he wanted to. I was trying to say that people who had never seen the Little Rascals wouldn't get the most from the joke. It's like Eddie's "Mr. Rogers" parody. It's more funny if you know who Mr. Rogers is!

sesameguy

Reaction score
The Three Stooges, ironically enough, is about the only thing listed that runs in my area.
Cool, at least that's something! On KTLA over in the L.A. area, they will sometimes do a "Twilight Zone" marathon on July 4 and New Year's eve.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Right, I don't think Eddie would really need to do it again unless he wanted to. I was trying to say that people who had never seen the Little Rascals wouldn't get the most from the joke. It's like Eddie's "Mr. Rogers" parody. It's more funny if you know who Mr. Rogers is!
I see what you mean. There is a tendency to bury popular culture for the past once it's reaches this expiration date and never to be seen by current of future generations.