Classic Henson Properties Now Available for Merchandise Licensing Opportunities

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
Classic Legacy Properties from The Jim Henson Company Now Available for Merchandise Licensing Opportunities

Recently expired licensing agreement with HIT Entertainment, Fraggle Rock and other properties to JHC control in time for Licensing Show 2009

HOLLYWOOD, CA (May 11, 2009)- The Jim Henson Company announced today that the internationally beloved property FRAGGLE ROCK will be available for merchandise licensing opportunities directly through the Company’s own newly formed licensing division now that its five year agency agreement with HIT Entertainment has expired. Joining this property in the marketplace just in time for Licensing Show will be classic Henson properties LABYRINTH, DARK CRYSTAL, FARSCAPE and EMMETT OTTER’S JUG-BAND CHRISTMAS. Melissa Segal, Senior Vice President of Global Consumer Products for The Jim Henson Company will be considering potential licensees for toys, apparel, accessories, stationery, home furnishings and publishing for these fan-favorites. These properties will be part of the Henson presentation at the Licensing Show in Las Vegas on June 2nd through 4th.

These classic properties have tremendous recognition around the world and endless potential in the world of consumer products, providing fantastic opportunities for licensees and marketing partners interested in evergreen properties with incredibly strong fan bases” said Segal. “We are looking to answer demands from fans both new and old with new merchandise partners that can create a fresh, hip take on these classics across a wide product mix.”

FRAGGLE ROCK
With millions of DVDs sold and 5 international Emmy Awards, this wonderfully inventive program which hit the air waves from 1983 – 1987 with 96 original episodes was designed to entertain while encouraging an understanding and embracing of diversity. In 2005, an online petition was signed by over 30,000 fans to get FRAGGLE ROCK back into their homes. HIT Entertainment responded with the release of the first three seasons on DVD and a special collectors’ editions box set of all four seasons.

FARSCAPE
A groundbreaking sci-fi production, FARSCAPE is a global favorite. Named by TV Guide as one of television's “Best Cult Shows Ever” and by Empire Magazine as one of the "50 Greatest TV Shows of All Time," FARSCAPE is known for the overwhelming fan-based campaign that led to its miniseries production, FARSCAPE: The Peacekeeper Wars. The show has continued to find new audiences as it is available on DVD around the world as well as on iTunes, where it debuted as the top selling sci-fi show. Figurines and plush are also available along with the FARSCAPE comic book series which was entirely sold out five days after its first volume premiered in December 2008. Recently The Jim Henson Company launched an online t-shirt campaign to celebrate FARSCAPE’S 10th Anniversary, where sales reached close to 2000 units in its 24-hour run.

LABYRINTH
Produced by The Jim Henson Company with creatures brought to life by Jim Henson's Creature Shop, LABYRINTH was directed by Jim Henson who worked closely with acclaimed artist and conceptual designer, Brian Froud and executive producer, George Lucas. Today, fans both young and old can find LABYRINTH collectible figurines, sculptures, and plush in stores and online. TokyoPop collaborated with The Jim Henson Company to publish manga-style graphic novels titled "Return to Labyrinth", which have continued to be top sellers in Tokyo Pop’s slate. Almost thirty years since its premiere, DVD sales consistently perform well, most recently with Sony Pictures Entertainment release in 2007 as a newly restored, 2 disc anniversary edition, containing never-before-seen interviews, deleted scenes, and behind-the-scenes footage.

DARK CRYSTAL
Jim Henson's Creature Shop worked to build both animatronics and soft puppets for DARK CRYSTAL, marking it as the first ever all-puppet full length feature. This masterful live-action fantasy continues to sell in specialty stores worldwide and on the web in a collection of figurines, sculptures, and plush. The world of the Gelflings, Mystics,and Skeksis can also be found in the exciting new manga prequel, "Legends of the Dark Crystal", published by TokyoPop in collaboration with The Jim Henson Company. Sony Pictures Entertainment released the latest edition of high performing DVDs with its 2-Disc 25th Anniversary Edition featuring never before seen footage from The Jim Henson Company archives including new commentary by Brian Froud, deleted scenes, and never-before-seen footage.

EMMETT OTTER’S JUG-BAND CHRISTMAS
Based on a book by Russell and Lillian Hoban, and marking the first time puppets were radio controlled, this Christmas story is about Ma and Emmet Otter - a family that has little more than each other. HIT Entertainment recently released this holiday classic on DVD to celebrate the 2008 Christmas season and the stage version of Emmett Otter’s Jug-Band Christmas had its world premiere in December 2008 at the Connecticut Goodspeed Theater, the only two-time Tony Award winning theatre in the United States.

http://www.henson.com/press_releases/2009-05-11.pdf

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
Very anxious to see what will come of this (especially for Fraggle Rock and Labyrinth).

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I hope they'll do some Fraggle figures. MindStyle kind of finked out on us. I hope they don't have the authority to hold up production for anyone else wanting to make them - or at least will release theirs soon. Waiting for the film is just too long. :smirk:

Still, exciting news. It's about time.

matleo

Reaction score
Mindstyle finked out on us? Let's not forget the bigger finker when it comes to Fraggles, HIT themselves. Or as I like to think of it "Fraggle Rock on DVD. Buy it again for the first time!" :smirk:

--Matt

Drtooth

Reaction score
Mindstyle finked out on us? Let's not forget the bigger finker when it comes to Fraggles, HIT themselves. Or as I like to think of it "Fraggle Rock on DVD. Buy it again for the first time!" :smirk:

--Matt
Or as I like to think of it... "Hey, at least they actually gave it to us on DVD when they could have easily just given up after 3 volumes of 4 episodes each."

I have a feeling no one expected the Fraggle Rock movie to take so long to produce. Mindstyle wanted to wait until the movie came out to release the figures, and I really think they expected it next year at the latest.

I'm really hoping this new company gives us the next Fraggle season we didn't quite get, and helps to hype them up for the movie... but think about it. had it not been for Hit, Fraggles would have just been a nostalgic buzz that lasted a year on T-shirts. We're talking a movie and a new Doozer show. Had they not done a good job initially, I don't think the movie would have come as far as it did now.

Luke

Reaction score
I don't get the Mindstyle thing .. buy license, create figures, wait for film. Aren't they in danger of license running out or maybe it has already. It's far from clear when the film will be released.

Drtooth

Reaction score
As I just said, methinks Mindstyle got the bad info that the Fraggle Rock movie is coming out this year. I'd be surprised if they're even still in business by the time the FR movie comes out. And even if they wanted to get those things out, wouldn't they need to re-negotiate the license?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I will admit to wanting the Fraggle figure license away from MindStyle. Their initial take on blind boxing, kiddie alphabet bases and expensive SRP for the Fraggle brand just doesn't sit well with me. The same goes for their extremely and needlessly expensive Dark Crystal figures derived from conceptual drawings rather than the actual puppets. Their objective seemed illusive, overpriced and off the mark. People just want to go in a store and buy a good representation of the characters they remember at a reasonable price. MindStyle spends a fortune on the decorative box.

I favor Neca's Skeksis figure for under 20 bucks (coming soon). I want a classic Boober Fraggle figure (articulated or static posed) for under 15. That shouldn't be so much to ask. Let's hope this is the trend of the future. Mindstyle is just an overly stylish, expensive ill-fit in my opinion. I want to see some more merchandise on shelves in the store where I work!

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
With the objectives they listed, I hope Henson can figure out what they want to do with Fraggle besides the film. Not only producing the figures (with or without Mindstyle) but also producing other material relating to the original series. They’d certainly have publicity opportunities once the movie rolls out.

I believe the coffee table book could still be a wonderful collector’s item, if it had everything the initial report said it would – concept art, pullout pieces, production photos, everything you could imagine squeezed between the pages, from both company and personal collections. I maintain hopes for that, especially if publishing is a licensing goal.

I’d also like to see the entire soundtrack to the series available on disc or download. There are so many terrific songs never released, and a complete CD collection would finally do those melodies justice. iTunes could be a supplemental method or perhaps an alternative if such a production proved cost-prohibitive. There are also other alternatives such as niche companies like Screen Archives, who find ways to cater to audiences wanting obscure titles, often made available in limited quantities with higher price points. Some of their offerings are large collections, such as their recent Superman 8-disc set.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I agree. I just know there's a market for Fraggles beyond preschoolers, Hot Topic or high priced gimmicky vinyl. They really should strike a deal to air the episodes again. Maybe that’s going to happen too. The Fraggle reruns should have a home on Nick. If that happened stores might be more receptive to stocking Fraggle items on their shelves.

I'm still sad about the book. Has that gone away for good?