Classic Henson Properties Now Available for Merchandise Licensing Opportunities

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
I don’t know if it’s gone for good or not, but I wouldn’t rule it out. The show is now the top priority among Henson’s classic brands, with the movie still to come, and they’re actively looking for a publisher.

I think awareness and distribution are both key. It would help if the show was on the air again - the new Doozer show certainly should - but embracing new methods of getting people to know about products AND giving them easy, full access to those products is the way to go. And today, that’s distribution online as well as in store (especially for media).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
This sounds like good news to me. It's a wonder that Fraggle Rock and other shows weren't on Sprout when Hit! had the Henson license.

beaker

Reaction score
Anyone remember the epic year of 2003 as far as Fraggle merchandise at stores? Man I remember so much Fraggly goodness back then.

I remember the HUGE obsession people had with Farscape, way bigger hardcore fanbase for Farscape than the Muppets I hate to say. Is that still around?

I dont see much merch oppurtunity for Emmet Otter tho. But definitely still for Dark Crystal and Labyrinth.

Anyways, youre right Dr Tooth...I never would have thought they would have four volumes out, talk of a real movie, a new tv show for kids, toys, etc. Crazyness!

As I just said, methinks Mindstyle got the bad info that the Fraggle Rock movie is coming out this year. I'd be surprised if they're even still in business by the time the FR movie comes out. And even if they wanted to get those things out, wouldn't they need to re-negotiate the license?
Isnt the FR movie not even a possibility til 2010 or beyond?

beaker

Reaction score
I don’t know if it’s gone for good or not, but I wouldn’t rule it out. The show is now the top priority among Henson’s classic brands, with the movie still to come, and they’re actively looking for a publisher.

I think awareness and distribution are both key. It would help if the show was on the air again - the new Doozer show certainly should - but embracing new methods of getting people to know about products AND giving them easy, full access to those products is the way to go. And today, that’s distribution online as well as in store (especially for media).
I WISH kids these days could be exposed to Fraggle Rock in some way. Even growing up in the 80's it was hard for me to see Fraggle Rock due to it being on HBO

Drtooth

Reaction score
I agree. I just know there's a market for Fraggles beyond preschoolers, Hot Topic or high priced gimmicky vinyl.
I'd like to see figures similar to the Sababa Doozers... but with all the characters. I like some of what Mindstyle was doing, but the pseudo-Japanese blind boxing (which, coming from a collector of the actual Japanese ones works better when it's packaged with Candy and a trading card), the random letters, they didn't sit too well. Sadly, the only collector style figures they even make anymore are blind box vynals. There's like, what, 2 or 3 companies still doing action figures? Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if they were expensive. You can't even get a shrimpy Star Wars Hasbro action figure for under 8 bucks now. And that's a massive mass produced, mass market product.

I just want them to say, "Heck with the movie" and release these as soon as they can, and let the license lapse after that.... It's a shame no company really does unpackaged PVC's anymore (except, maybe the German company Schliech or however that's spelled). Is Applause even still around?

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
I WISH kids these days could be exposed to Fraggle Rock in some way. Even growing up in the 80's it was hard for me to see Fraggle Rock due to it being on HBO
Kids are being exposed to it today through the DVDs, of course. And they’ll get to see even more when the Doozer show airs.

A re-broadcast would be welcome, but the original series is really more accessible now than it’s ever been.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Kids are being exposed to it today through the DVDs, of course. And they’ll get to see even more when the Doozer show airs.

A re-broadcast would be welcome, but the original series is really more accessible now than it’s ever been.
That's true, but it would help Fraggle DVD sales if kids were exposed to the Fraggles on television first. Watch for all things Fraggle to pop up after the Doozer's show. I just hope the classic stuff isn't overlooked at that point. :busy:

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
I just know there's a market for Fraggles beyond preschoolers, Hot Topic or high priced gimmicky vinyl.
There is definitely a market, niche at least, for classic series merchandise other than just DVDs. I hope Henson is aware of that and takes advantage of new methods for getting stuff out there. That's the really big key.

What keeps most items from making it to the shelf are costs due to either production, storage, shipping or all three. But if you had an online store whose model was small order, or even made-to-order like Warner Home Video's Archives program, you could produce items in volume more accurate to demand, reduce (or in some cases eliminate) storage costs and completely reconfigure your demographic standards in terms of distribution.

After all, if online orders are shipped to each customer directly, there's no need to target audiences or specialty stores. People would come to you, instead of you going to them.

...I just hope the classic stuff isn't overlooked...
Me too. The thing about a small or made-to-order model is that you could minimalize, or even avoid, having your more popular items wipe out the less popular ones. All while reducing bulk stock, creating better balance and availability, and potentially releasing everything a fan could want.

Luke

Reaction score
I honestly think some kids CGI Fraggle Rock TV remake would make most hardcore fans around here have nightmares if they saw it. I don't think Henson would make a TV show any other way .. both down to cost and down to what actually "sells" within the industry. Thankfully the Doozer things looks quite good and the whole concept does actually fit CGI quite well - so it should go down great and be less of a shocker. I think it was pretty obvious the Doozers would go CGI in the movie anyway, so its a great way of getting the kids to see the Fraggle film, and it won't mess too much with the actual Fraggles or Fraggle concept being kept as traditional as possible.

I love the Henson company, great people and fantastic creativity - but i can't help but think that sometimes they really need to just focus and build up one or two different brands rather than pumping out these endless kids shows, which are usually too overly preachy (science sid, eco doozers) and not strong enough to catch on for whatever reason. They need to look at what else in this style has been around for years (Bob The Builder etc) and kinda learn some lessons on what kids like now. It's frankly a bit disturbing they are pumping shows out that have the "look" but are stuck back in the early 90's in terms of writing and theme. I've always thought kids tv should be about entertaining them more than educating them ... if they learn along the way its a bonus!

As for licensing, that all comes into it, but i think especially with the classics, if they are being promoted to kids as well it needs a two tiered licensing programme. What adults want, and what will actually "sell" to kids toy distributors are two completely different things. I think the properties are probably strong enough for both, rather than making something in-between that just doesn't get picked up by the right distributors eitherway and dissapoints everyone.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I honestly think some kids CGI Fraggle Rock TV remake would make most hardcore fans around here have nightmares if they saw it. I don't think Henson would make a TV show any other way .. both down to cost and down to what actually "sells" within the industry. Thankfully the Doozer things looks quite good and the whole concept does actually fit CGI quite well - so it should go down great and be less of a shocker. I think it was pretty obvious the Doozers would go CGI in the movie anyway, so its a great way of getting the kids to see the Fraggle film, and it won't mess too much with the actual Fraggles or Fraggle concept being kept as traditional as possible.
A Fraggle Rock CGI series I'd only accept in the terms of the Fraggle Rock animated series not having puppets in it... or if they use the Waldo system. Personally, I don't see why reairing the older series somewhere wouldn't work... remember when Scooby Doo came back in the 90's, and kids were watching the original 1960's episodes without complaint of it being old? I feel the same thing could work. A lot of kids are exposed to FR from the DVD's... seems to me, if they put it on television somewhere, they'd get the exposure they need to hype the property up for the movie.

The problem is, where? Sprout seemed like the best place, but now that Hit's out of the picture, there's no chance of that. And other cable channels and PBS would rather air the new model programs, where characters ask the home audience to help them with everything in a pathetic attempt to be "interactive."

That's what I really like about Sid... sure, it does have that 90's writing... but it treats the a home audience as a Home audience. The way he talks to the audience is no different from say David Letterman or a sports caster or something to that extent. Not like some computer game that really isn't a computer game. That is my main concern with the Doozers... will they talk to the home audience as guests (in a similar way to Sesame Street) or will they sit for 30 seconds waiting to answer their own questions, talking like they had a stroke, like Dora, Blue's Clues, Superwhy, and all that garbage. I would tend to think the former...