Classic Muppets filming NBC Christmas special

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Can we just sit down and make a promise? The promise to not compare this to MFC when it finally airs? That's pretty hard a comparison... I mean, MFC is one of the great Muppet projects, right up their with the first three movies. I mean, you wouldn't compare MFS with TMM or GMC.... All we can hope is we get some of the classic feel we find in MFC, but in an entirely new project. Something that won't be weighed down too much with odd pop culture digs (like VMX did).
Well I can promise to be open minded. But polite comparisons are a healthy part of discussion. :smile:

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I think Drtooth makes a good point. Yes, we will inevitably be judging the special based on how it stands with some older material, but just because it isn't the older material doesn't mean it can't be awesome. Many people regard MFC as the best production to ever come out of Henson--it's going to be hard for this specail to top that, and I don't think it's trying to. I'm just interested to see if it can stand on its own within the Muppet-verse as a funny, charming, special full of heart, and so far I'm getting that impression.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I agree that it doesn't have to reach the level of MFC to be good. It can be good in its own right. I just don't want to say we can't discuss certain things (in a polite way). :wink:

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
I think that it's only fair that we judge based on the product that's given. This new special certainly has some big shoes to fill if we look at it solely compared to past projects. I don't think we'll ever see another MFC, but it's okay to embrace the new as long as it is a good quality project... Which I am really hoping it is. And so far, there has been nothing to make me think it won't be fine.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Can we just sit down and make a promise? The promise to not compare this to MFC when it finally airs? That's pretty hard a comparison... I mean, MFC is one of the great Muppet projects, right up their with the first three movies. I mean, you wouldn't compare MFS with TMM or GMC.... All we can hope is we get some of the classic feel we find in MFC, but in an entirely new project. Something that won't be weighed down too much with odd pop culture digs (like VMX did).
Although MFC is enjoyable, it is not my favorite Christmas special. I suppose it is a fan choice due to the cross-over casts, but I still like the John Denver special the best. I'm not a big Denver fan, but there's just something so sweet and understated about the whole production. Both can easily make me cry.

Projects will always be compared and some fans will never be satisfied. I'm learning to tune out the negativity especially when concerning what hasn't even happened yet. To tell you the truth, I don't expect much more from this 46 minute special than some good songs, a few cameos, solid performances, holiday spirit and Scooter!

It would be nice, but I am not counting on this to be one of the greatest Muppet specials of all time. I'm going to love it for what it is and count it as an unexpected Christmas gift. I know it will get scrutinized to death, but barring a very unlikely complete disaster I will just be grinning from ear to ear. This has got to be cheerier than VMX. :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
This new special certainly has some big shoes to fill if we look at it solely compared to past projects. I don't think we'll ever see another MFC, but it's okay to embrace the new as long as it is a good quality project... Which I am really hoping it is. And so far, there has been nothing to make me think it won't be fine.
To be honest it never occurred to me to directly compare this to MFC until it was brought up, hehe. Like you say, I just want it to be good, period. But again, polite comparisons aren't a bad thing. :smile:

We really won't know either way until it airs. :wink:

matleo

Reaction score
I searched through this thread and didn't see this but IMDB has the cast list up for letters to Santa. It looks like Dave Rudman will be Janice and Scooter for this. It also says Brian will be voicing Sal. And Kevin is listed for Clifford. Of course this is IMDB and everything is till in production so you never know. but this looks a lot closer than some of the other 'early castlists' that have gone up for things like this.

--Matt

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1292569/fullcredits#cast

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I searched through this thread and didn't see this but IMDB has the cast list up for letters to Santa. It looks like Dave Rudman will be Janice and Scooter for this. It also says Brian will be voicing Sal. And Kevin is listed for Clifford. Of course this is IMDB and everything is till in production so you never know. but this looks a lot closer than some of the other 'early castlists' that have gone up for things like this.

--Matt

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1292569/fullcredits#cast
Well would ya look at that. That's GREAT to hear about all of those if it is true. And look, Brian is also listed as executive producer, which would be awesome. The only thing I find odd is that Bobo is not under Bill's characters--and we know Bobo will be in the special thanks to the Tough Pigs article. But other than that it all looks pretty legitimate to me.

EDIT: Come to think of it... Pepe is the ONLY Bill character on there. Odd. Surely Johnny will be there, if Brian is performing Sal, and I would expect Dr. Teeth and Rowlf too, and definitely Chef!

Though Eric only has Fozzie and Piggy... and we know Sam Eagle is there, and Animal is a very good bet. Hmmmm...

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Well, IMDB isn't the most accurate source.
No... but look at it like this: They know specific names of "Postal Dancers" and a ton of people who worked behind the scenes on the project. I think someone must know someone who did something with this production. :stick_out_tongue: