Classic Muppets filming NBC Christmas special

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well from the Pics that I have seen and the storys from ToughPigs.com. I think that we will love this show just as much as MFC or a close second! Just for the fact that I think they are now starting to realize that Muppets like Scooter Floyd Dr. Theeth and Janice Can be used, and have been missed dearly by us older fans.

That and the fact that Mr. Paul Williams is so involved with this. He seems really pasionet about this and the Muppets. So as for me I'm going in this as exicited as a firecarker on the fourth of July!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I agree with prawncracker. As much as I like to see the gangs intersect, there's a delicate branding going on with Disney and the Muppets. They are trying to solidify Kermit, Piggy and the gang as their own troupe of characters instead of a Sesame Street sort of spin-off that many people today seem to believe them to be. I'm tired of bringing up the Muppet Show to people and hearing, "My favorite is Grover!" or "I don't watch kids’ shows." I am going to provide Crazy Harry with their names and addresses! :crazy:

It is important for Sesame Street to primarily be about learning letters, numbers and shapes in good humor. It is important for Fraggle Rock to be social consciousness, peace and harmony through songs.

It is very important for the Muppet Show gang to transcend both and just be irreverent. Social commentary, music and acceptance are all there, but it comes second to the Muppet gang's humor and it always should. They're allowed to get away with more than the rest of Jim's creations. In that sense they really do work without a net and that is what makes for more of a challenge.

The Muppets just need to be the Muppets for a while. Then they can open up to more crossover opportunities and maybe even bring back the Muppet Babies down the line. That's just how I see it. :coy:

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
But I just want them to release Muppet Babies on DVD right now! [/veruca salt]

Sorry, couldn't resist. :big_grin:

BJ

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
The point I am getting at is that--no matter how much the Mouse House tries--it will never be Jim Henson and a large percent of fans will still consider all Muppets as his, despite the buyout.
I don't think there's any denying that. But it's true that the Muppets, Sesame Street, and Fraggle Rock are different brands and they need to be separated, at least until the public understands that the Muppets AREN'T just for kids.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I don't think there's any denying that. But it's true that the Muppets, Sesame Street, and Fraggle Rock are different brands and they need to be separated, at least until the public understands that the Muppets AREN'T just for kids.
Exactly. No one was saying that, Pooh. Everyone here knows and respects the fact that the Muppets are Jim's--all of the Muppet characters, be it Sesame or Fraggle or whatever--but the Classic Muppet characters need to stay separate for now. They need time to reinvent themselves and get back into their own shoes, and tossing Grover into the equation, for instance, would simply knock them right out of those shoes (even those who don't WEAR shoes!).

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I merely meant that re-airing MFC--not making a new special showing all of the Muppet family (at least, not when The Classic Muppets themselves are still working out ways to form a solid comeback)--could be a way to show that the seperate companies still care about Jim's vision, since they are using characters he primarily is credited--along with his crew, of course--for bringing to life.
Oh! I thought you meant having them in the new special! Well yes! I agree! Airing MFC would be an awesome idea.

RL4422

Reaction score
Christmas isn't Christmas in my house without a Muppet Special! I'm so excited about this :smile:

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Christmas isn't Christmas in my house without a Muppet Special! I'm so excited about this :smile:
Agreed! I just have to watch all of the Muppet Christmas specials that I have every Christmas. Muppet Family Christmas, Muppet Christmas Carol, Christmas Eve on Sesame Street, Elmo Saves Christmas, etc. I'm hoping/thinking that Letters to Santa will become just as classic as these and be a Christmas staple from here on.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Can we just sit down and make a promise? The promise to not compare this to MFC when it finally airs? That's pretty hard a comparison... I mean, MFC is one of the great Muppet projects, right up their with the first three movies. I mean, you wouldn't compare MFS with TMM or GMC.... All we can hope is we get some of the classic feel we find in MFC, but in an entirely new project. Something that won't be weighed down too much with odd pop culture digs (like VMX did).