Classic Muppets filming NBC Christmas special

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
When have they ever? It's always been part of the mix like Fozzie's bad jokes, Gonzo's strangeness and Rizzo's shifty ways. I would write letters if they tried to make any character more politically correct. We don't need any Veggie Monsters in the Muppet Show and I don’t think that will ever happen. However I never found the pig as plump as the accusations. :wink:

Well like I said, the crueler fat jokes. The ones from the Muppet Show were no where near a bad as what we have now. It's not a question of political correctness, it's about the level of the jokes. The Muppet Show jokes for the most part are in good fun. The recent jokes are just plain mean and I'd be terrified of showing them to a young girl.

I don't complain about the Muppet Show jokes. I complain about these. There is a difference.

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
I don't really think jokes the Muppets have done recently are really all that horrible. Well, not in comparison to other so called "family friendly" programs out there. I think Piggy is easy to make jokes for though. Not simply fat jokes, but jokes that focus on her demanding, diva personality. And the fact that she is a pig... Literally.

OH GEESH! I feel a karate chop coming on. XD

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
^ After you do that, don't forget to push your hair away on both sides of your face XD

This discussion makes me think of her exercise record. Her idea of working out is vacumming, eating, and dialing a phone!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Everyone's entitled to their opinion of course. :smile: But I'd really be concerned about showing my kids some of those more recent jokes. You don't get the impression Kermit even likes Piggy. She comes across like the dumb fat girl that hangs around them. That's not the message the Muppets always used to send. Now it's so jaded and mean spirited.

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
Everyone's entitled to their opinion of course. :smile: But I'd really be concerned about showing my kids some of those more recent jokes. You don't get the impression Kermit even likes Piggy. She comes across like the dumb fat girl that hangs around them. That's not the message the Muppets always used to send. Now it's so jaded and mean spirited.
I see where you're coming from. I don't think that Piggy comes off as being dumb. But that's just me. I do think that Piggy and Kermit haven't really had the same connection for years, but I do think there is still something there.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I see where you're coming from. I don't think that Piggy comes off as being dumb. But that's just me. I do think that Piggy and Kermit haven't really had the same connection for years, but I do think there is still something there.
I don't think she's dumb, I think they treat her that way, worse than before. It's not subtle, it's just "let's insult the pig."

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I don't think she's dumb, I think they treat her that way, worse than before. It's not subtle, it's just "let's insult the pig."
Piggy puts herself in those positions because she believes she's better than everybody else. I think because of that, the rest of the muppet gang, like Floyd, can take advantage of her diva attitude and have fun with it because they, especially Floyd, know how to get to Piggy.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Piggy puts herself in those positions because she believes she's better than everybody else. I think because of that, the rest of the muppet gang, like Floyd, can take advantage of her diva attitude and have fun with it because they, especially Floyd, know how to get to Piggy.
Agreed, again it's the degree of the jokes. They used to be less cruel and sexist.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Agreed, again it's the degree of the jokes. They used to be less cruel and sexist.
I really don't think so. Kermit and the gang have said some rather brutal things to the pig in the Muppet Show and Jim Henson era. It is my belief that Frank cheered that on. It is my position that the humor in that respect hasn't changed as much as some viewers' perceptions about it. I mean the fat jokes used to fly around Miss Piggy all the time - subtle and blunt. :mad: :eek:

I have always found that sort of fat-based humor touchy and problematic no matter what the era. To say otherwise is looking through rose-colored glasses IMHO. I have known a lot of people touchy about the fat jokes over the years. I just feel that more people have weight and health concerns these days and feel that entertainment should be more sensitive to that. Maybe that’s true, but I don’t think the Muppets are where to start. That’s as strange to me as Kirsty Alley helming a diet program. :confused:

Entertainment personalities should play to the strengths. Muppets should be the same old dysfunctional family they’ve always been. That’s my position.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really don't think so. Kermit and the gang have said some rather brutal things to the pig in the Muppet Show and Jim Henson era. It is my belief that Frank cheered that on. It is my position that the humor in that respect hasn't changed as much as some viewers' perceptions about it. I mean the fat jokes used to fly around Miss Piggy all the time - subtle and blunt. :mad: :eek:
I'm going to meet halfway here and say thus... I never cared for or against the fat jokes about Piggy. Sometimes they were funny, sometimes they weren't... but I think that herald may be referring to the tired forced "Kermit outwardly doesn't love Piggy, and hides his inner feelings by saying old jokes" conversations every TV appearance of Kermit has had for a while. I don;t think we'd see that in the context of a movie or TV special or anything with a plot line. We'd get the more subtle sections where Piggy comes on too strong, and Kermit denies it.

Thie thing I think about when I think of Piggy is say something nasty to her face, and you lose a limb... IF you're lucky. She doesn't have to take it at all, and she never does. Not even with Kermit... ESPECIALLY with Kermit.