1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Classic Sesame Clips on Youtube

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by Al Hempker, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Al Hempker

Al Hempker New Member

2. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

I wish they'd amke it easier to play these clips. I certainly can't.
  3. Ziffel

Ziffel New Member

Wow, thanks for this site. Really nice to see (and hear) so many of these classic SS clips. Like the sound effects of the R being hauled up the building, the ball on the track, and the small,ball,tall,wall skit.
    And Mike, is the trouble you are having that the clips constantly pause and start again? That's what happened to me on the first playing but then subsequent playings take that away. Like right now I am letting the Stevie Wonder song play through the first time (with its stops and starts) while I'm typing this. Then soon I can replay it and it should play straight through without interruption.
    I hope some of you young folks will play some of these old clips so you can see the different look and sounds and style of the early 70's SS. :)
  4. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

Alright, it's the old Barkley closing. I'm trying to get that one up now. I guess the best thing to do is play it through once because it keeps pausing in the middle. Then after that's done, it should play the right way. That worked with the clip of the Mad TV parody.
  5. anythingmuppet

anythingmuppet New Member

Is there a way to download these? I love them! They're excellant finds :)
  6. Barry Lee

Barry Lee Active Member

At the moment, no. Which is the only downside.
  7. redBoobergurl

redBoobergurl Well-Known Member

It's funny, I actually stumbled on to these today myself when I was watching the parody about Big Bird and the bird flu and I was so excited! I spent like a half hour watching some stuff I haven't seen in years! I was especially happy with the classic Ernie and Bert stuff!

*side note- Ziffel! Good to see you! We've missed you!*
  8. MuppetDude

MuppetDude Active Member

And "What's My Part?"! I haven't seen that one in years!! :excited:
  9. PiLfan

PiLfan Member

Elmo's humble beginnings...

one of the clips on here is of particular interest from a SS historical perspective.

long before Elmo "took over" the program (though to be honest, as monopolizing as the Elmo World segments are, I tried watching a few out of morbid curiosity and find that they employ some excellent techniques for learning, problem solving, etc....along with some of the hyperactive, cutesy crap that we can all still do with out, of course) Elmo originally started as an anonymous anything-monster muppet in the late 70s/early 80s, before Kevin Clash gave him his identity. This clip, "Lost Me cookie at the disco", from circa 1979, is purportedly the first ever appearance of the elmo muppet:

http://www.youtube.com/w/Me-Lost-Me...me-Street)?v=5kTX3jaqH5M&search=Sesame Street

he doesn't look all that different from the current elmo, except his nose is a bit longer, and of course someone else is muppetering him in this clip (Brian Muehl, perhaps?)....Cookie monster even talks to him for a bit, asking for his lost cookie of course, and the muted elmo just looks on silently. who knew then what that muppet would eventually become, but you can kind of tell its appeal even in this dated skit. he's the only bright red muppet in a sea of dark blues and sea greens...he really stands out, and the camera almost seems to follow him at times. maybe his future 'stardom' was inevitable...kind of like the bright red sports car gets all the attention from beach side cops.

so anyway, that's just a few thoughts i figured i'd share....the youtube site is great....here's hoping lots more classic SS clips get on here....maybe some street segments from SS's first season, or oddities like the whimsy sing-a-long "We're all monsters".

:)
  10. BooberFraggless

BooberFraggless New Member

Thank you Al for posting these. Ya know lately Iv'e been going through some personal problems and have been feeling rather down. Well hearing these old songs from my childhood and getting to watch the videos that I haven't seen or heard in years has really cheered me up and I feel a lot better now. These are some great ones, especially The old Barkley closing from my childhood. Im looking forward to seeing more awsome stuff on this website in the future.
  11. Al Hempker

Al Hempker New Member

The Golden AN skit almost made me cry (with laughter that is). Lefty's one of my all time favorite characters
  12. GonzoLeaper

GonzoLeaper Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link!:) I remember seeing many of these sketches and songs when I was a kid! So many good memories!
    Oh Yeah!!! Awesome!
    :D
  13. Daffyfan2003

Yeah, I want to look through that again. I did look at the Barkley closing and the Big Bird appearance on the Today show, but I missed a lot of other good stuff. I'd really like to see that original Elmo. Though it's too bad he doesn't say anything in that one.

Something that I noticed though. The Barkley closing credits David L. Smryl as Mr. Hanford. I didn't think he was on the show until after they changed the credits. That's something I might want to look into.
  14. BooberFraggless

BooberFraggless New Member

Yeah, David L. Smyrl joined the show in 1990, and they did away with The Barkley and the Kids Closing Credits in 1992, and switched to the animated ones. It was kind of surprizing seeing Uncle Wally and Savion's names both on there, I had forgotten that they were even on the show together for a brief time. Daffyfan, do you happen to remember that episode that was shown? I was watching the show religiously in those days, but I never saw that particular episode.
  15. Daffyfan2003

O.K. I guess imdb.com gave some erroneous information about Northern Calloway being on the show until 1992, meaning the second actor to play Mr. Hanford wouldn't have been on the show until later than that, but I get it now.

In answer to your question, no, I don't remember the ep with Oscar and that lady teaching the kids an African lullaby. I would like to see more clips of that one. But overall it was good to see the Barkley closing again. It sort of reminds me of my dog.
  16. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

well I has my dad look at downloading in order to play the clip. No luck. wish they would make these things difficult to do.
  17. Frogster

Frogster Active Member

I remember the "Herry's Muscles" with Kermit. That's one of my faves. I wish there were more famous Ernie and Bert sketches, though.
  18. Andrew T

Andrew T New Member

Thanks for the clips! It's nice being able to see the classic Barkley credits sequence I remember for the first time in 13 years.

Another clip I recognize from watching Sesame Street back in the day is the live-action segment on how cheese is made. I remember the vats and presses, as well as the final scene of tasting the finished product. :)
  19. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

Wow. I looked on YouTube a few weeks ago for SS, but I there certainly weren't THIS many! I've watched a handful now. I particularily enjoyed the Fat, Cat, Sat song. Thanks for posting this!
  20. Astro4004

Astro4004 New Member

Thank you to the folks who uploaded all of these! I am so excited to see these again. "The Golden An," "Fat Cat Sat," etc etc ad nauseum. What a great way to spend my Sunday night.