CNN.Com--Are "G" Rated Films Going Too Far?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, it depends. In reality, it should be like calling someone a donkey. Canada it's okay, I would assume it's okay where you are in Australia, but in the US... eh, not so much.
It's funny that you mention that.

Stuart Little 2 has been rated PG for "brief, mild language", but I've watched both the original version, AND the director's cut version, and never heard a single swear word in there.

THEN I later learned that, and Beau or somebody correct me if I'm wrong, the word "spunk", which is in the movie, is considered a swear word in the U.K.

Why? I don't know, where I come from, saying someone has "spunk", is like saying someone has chops, or saying someone is "spunky" is like saying someone's high spirited, or feisty (GOOD feisty).

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
It's funny that you mention that.

Stuart Little 2 has been rated PG for "brief, mild language", but I've watched both the original version, AND the director's cut version, and never heard a single swear word in there.
Yeah, but mild language is more then simply just swear words.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Correction. Stuart Little 2 was rated PG for "tricking 10 year old Bobby thinking it's an adult comedy and not minding that his 4 year old sister is making his parents drag him to it."

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Correction. Stuart Little 2 was rated PG for "tricking 10 year old Bobby thinking it's an adult comedy and not minding that his 4 year old sister is making his parents drag him to it."
What on Earth on you talking about?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Oh, I get it.

That made me laugh now. That and the fact that IMDb says Twister's PG-13 rating is due to "Intense depiction of very bad weather".

Whoooo!

Getting back to the subject of violence in G-rated movies... there's a reason why it's called "comic violence" or "comedic violence", because it's not so much about the characters beating the crap out of each other, but the absurdity of it all is particularly funny to little kids because it's fast-paced and gets the kiddies all hyped up and excited, not to mention someone slipping on a banana peel and landing flat on their back, or some manly guy getting kicked in the crotch, then screaming and talking like a little girl never fails to get the little kiddies howling with laughter!

MJTaylor

Reaction score
The other night The Wizard of Oz was on TV and I watched it for the upteenth time. Now this film has a G rating but some parts of it are pretty scary, mainly the scenes with The Wicked Witch of the West.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, my mom was scared to death of The Wizard of Oz when she was a little thang, but ironically, it's her all time favorite movie.

The old "Viacom V of Doom" still scared the living crap out of me as a child!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The old "Viacom V of Doom" still scared the living crap out of me as a child!
Well yes, that goes without saying! :wink:

But Wizard of Oz is a good example of a film that people still enjoy watching despite the somewhat scary parts.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
or some manly guy getting kicked in the crotch, then screaming and talking like a little girl never fails to get the little kiddies howling with laughter!
This also makes many adults howl with laughter as well.:stick_out_tongue: