CNN.Com--Are "G" Rated Films Going Too Far?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This made me laugh until I snorted!
Aptly titled I think. I mean after all, it's a giant dark blue V, and it just keeps coming and coming and coming and coming while scary music plays in the background and you feel like you're doomed!

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Aptly titled I think. I mean after all, it's a giant dark blue V, and it just keeps coming and coming and coming and coming while scary music plays in the background and you feel like you're doomed!
But It wasn't always know as the V of doom until more recent years.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The other night The Wizard of Oz was on TV and I watched it for the upteenth time. Now this film has a G rating but some parts of it are pretty scary, mainly the scenes with The Wicked Witch of the West.

That never bothered me. But when I was really young, I was confused to death by Tootsie.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
does anyone else think that early disney movies even though rated G, were very violent? Seriously, elarly disney movies were just as bad as ones today. what about when Mufasa being treampled to death and Simba watching him fall into the stampeed, then, showing the dead lifeless body of Mufasa. Or how about the huntsman trying to kill snow white, chasing her in attempts to cut out her heart? Stromboli kidnapping Pinoccio and locking him in a birdcage, practically abused him. (oh, and the fact that they got away with saying the synonym for donkey in that movie?) I see the aliens in chicken little no more worse than that
Add to it: Disney's own founder's alter-ego--in his earlier days--was a crude, gun-toating & chain-smoking drunk & his lady friend (who dressed very provocatively) was no better. Then again though, those cartoons were made clearly with the idea that children were nothing more than smaller adults and thusly, were able to view such behavior.

Or better yet, watch The Undertaker's Ministry days during the 90's. Those were some seriously creepy times, as he hung people and sacrified innocence. Granted, the pro wrestling world had a 14+ rating then, but even for 14 year olds, some of it could be really disturbing.

And in any event, Margaret Hamilton's Wicked Witch (alias Elphaba Thropp in Wicked) is not scary in terms of what's scary nowadays, but when the Oz movie originally came out, she was one of the most scary things to be seen.