College Advice

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
So I'll be starting college later this coming week, and I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice on the next big step. Whether it be advice on dealing with professors, studying, avoiding certain things, really anything any of you guys previously or currently in college have experienced. Thanks!

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Another question, how many times did you guys change your major?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
As much as I hate to admit it, you need to be a suck up to professors. If you are doing really bad, being a suck up can drastically improve your grade. I was on the verge of failing Zoology, but ended up with a C because I went to the professor many times for help.

If a professor says that he doesn't take attendance, GO TO CLASS ANYWAY. You get brownie points and show that you care, also possibly helping your grade.

Studying...I have zero study skills. I cram. Do not cram for a test. Ever. Learn from my suffering. Also, never put off essays or long term projects. You are being given time for a reason. Use it.

I have not changed my major, and I won't, but I know people have changed their major upwards of 5 or 6 times

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Changing a major is pretty common, but I would make sure you have a real plan for classes if you want to make a change. Some majors may have different requirements, and that could easily lead to you getting behind. Two of my friends have to stay at school for a fifth year because they changed their major and couldn't get into to some of the classes. If you change and want to still graduate in four years, you may have to look out taking classes in winter or summer sessions.

Do readings assigned to you, even if most of the points are gone over in class. It makes studying immensely easier, since you will become more familiar with the material.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
In this day and age, all I ever hear people say about college is how they complain about what a waste of time it was for them... it seems like with the economy and job market and everything, people don't even care whether or not you have a diploma, your chances of getting a decent job are plenty slim, even if you are a college graduate. I think it was Ryan (not Prawnie, but the other Ryan) who did a lengthily rant thread about how nobody will hire him, even though he has a diploma and is clearly qualified for the job and everything, and I remember my favorite person once told me that college turned out to be nothing but a waste of time for her.

Plus, it all depends on what exactly you plan on going into as far as your career choice goes: there are two kinds of people out there, people who have talent, and people who have skill. Now, if you were going into a field that would require skill, such as the medical profession, or law enforcement, or something like that, then yes, I would agree that college might be a good idea, however, if you're going into something that requires talent, I'm a firm believer in that talent should be put to work and not sent back to school.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Yes, the job market stinks, but having a college diploma will give you a leg up on whoever you are competing with to find a job. I'd say it's a bit of a stretch to say people don't care whether or not you have a diploma when they are looking at resumes and prospective job applicants.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Again, I'm just going by what I've heard other people say.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The job market is really tough right now but if you know what kind of field you're interested in I would suggest looking at job hunting websites in that area to see the types of skills that are most in demand and use that as a rough basis of what classes to take, at least to start out with.

As far as day to day college, I would say the hardest thing for me was getting up the motivation to do my homework when I no longer had a grown up reminding me to do it. You have to learn to take the initiative on your own and that took some getting used to.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I am an education major, and there is always a need for teachers.

Anything computer related is by far the worst field to go into. EVERYONE wants to work with computers, and there are barely any jobs available for it.