College Advice

Hubert

Reaction score
(bummer. that's my dream)
Well, I think Sarge is referring to the computer field in general. If you can find a specific niche in that area that not a lot of people are doing, then I think, you'd be alright.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
--------------
A college diploma of some kind IS a better guarantor of work, still, despite the proliferation of trade schools that only teach you one thing as opposed to an actual university which teaches (ideally, anyway) LIFE skills and self-reliance, not just how to work a machine so you can become a tradesperson. I think the traditional route is indeed still a viable one...but it's true that it doesn't fit all. Even artists do get an edge by taking classes in their field, as it helps to hone that natural talent. People who are the best in their fields have talent AND training, no matter what that field is.

Advice? Okay...when it comes to general-degree requirements (math, language, stuff-you-don't-care-about-appreciation, etc), just plug through 'em. Don't skip class without a darned good reason -- the day you miss could be the day that something really important to your grade gets discussed! (A hangover is NOT a darned good reason.)
Schedule as many classes for the time of day in which you feel MOST awake and alert as you can-- for me, that was afternoon, but everyone's different. Do the readings. If a paper is due in a week, research it NOW. I always studied up for weeks before a major paper, and took down all the notes I needed for it ahead of time, but didn't write it until the eve of its being due...but that may not work for you. I write better under a deadline. Do whatever helps YOU focus your attention and energy best.
If you can't stand a particular prof or feel like you're not learning anything from them (and you WILL run into the jerks, the female dogs and the simply incompetent, guaranteed at some point), DROP the class BEFORE the drop-date and reschedule it ASAP with another prof, either that semester/quarter or the next. If you find that a class you need is ONLY taught by someone you can't stand, barrel through it as best you can and get it over with.
Don't overload your schedule. If your major requires a lot of studio or practicum time, make sure your class load will give you time to do those things!
Don't let your social life overwhelm your study life. You are there, presumably, to get a degree...not to make friends with all the frat rats. Take it seriously. The ones who flunk out their first year or two tend to be the ones who don't know how to study or spend their time with their friends instead of doing homework.
Spread your general requirements out a bit if you can...that way your first two years aren't all boring stuff and your last two major-concentrated classes. Mix it up a bit so you get enough of your major to feel like you're making progress (and hopefully, enjoying it) in the early years.
Don't get caught breaking the rules. :wink: If you must skirt them, be careful doing so. Being thrown out for something stupid (like spending the night in a sleeping bag on the stadium's 50-yard line -- no, I didn't, but know someone who did and barely escaped) will wreck your whole life and doom you to drudgery at work. Take only calculated risks if at all! (My buddy and I were extra-careful that no one saw us rappelling down the new air chute in the dorm who was likely to say anything about it...heh heh heh...)
Organize your time every day so that you have free time to play as well as study time, and do NOT mix them. Focus your brain.
Cafeteria food is universally hideous. Ask your folks for a food-only credit card (I had a limited AmEx) so you can eat at IHOP a couple times a week. IHOP kicks butt at 3am during exam week, by the way...

Hope these help. Have fun! :news:
----------------

meepmuppaphones

Reaction score
Here's some food-related advice. Never skip meals. Especially breakfast. If you wake up late and skip breakfast, you'll have to change your habits. "Love early rising; be enterprising." as Lewis Carroll once said. Eating breakfast is a must. People who eat breakfast are able to boost their brain's power in the waking hours, so you could focus on lectures and stuff. A bonus of eating breakfast is that it boosts your metabolism, so you won't go hankering for sweets later in the day. Sugar is going to send you into full throttle and crash.

Just one cup of coffee would be enough for your system. Black coffee, unsweetened. Too much coffee, or sweet coffee, will hinder your brain's performance. Grilled meats at lunch gives you a good helping of nutrients, including protein, so pair them with a side of veggies.

If you want snacks, grab a bag of Omega-3 rich walnuts. They boost focus. Blueberries are also a worthy snack, boosting long-term memory. You won't want TOO much carbohydrates. You'll need a good amount for your energy, but too much empty carbs will ruin your thinking. Same goes for sugar. A good way to get your sugar fix is to have it with some fat and protein, to insulate the sugar. Ice cream with fruit is a great option.

So yeeeeaaah. I sound like a nutritionist.:shifty:

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, everyone. It'll really help me out. Well, tomorrow's my first day. Wish me luck!

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
I wish you luck. :laugh: But seriously, have a good time! I hope this doesn't mean you be on the forums less. We need you in the Crazy thread!! :smile:

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Good luck! Remember to try and have fun along with everything else.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll most likely still be on the forums (possibly daily). I suppose it'll depend on my workload. As newsmanfan said, I'll still need lesiure time.

Ozymandias

Reaction score
Hello Mo Frackle, as someone who has been in college for two years now and moving out of town for her third year, I have to second everything that meepmuppaphones and Newsmanfan said. I also have a little bit of advice to give you. A balanced lifestyle is key. Don't waste your time with too much social engagement, but don't burn yourself out studying either. My strategy is to work as hard as I can get as much work done as possible on the weekdays so that I can get my weekends free. That way I could relax on the weekends, and let myself unwind. You will do yourself no good if you burn yourself out. Trust me, there's more than one reason why God commanded us in the Ten Commandments to "honor the Sabbath day and keep it holy" partially by doing no work one day a week. Simply pit, we need that rest to avoid burnout.

Anyways, that's my two cents. Good luck man! :smile: