College no more........

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Since it was implanted in our little minds when we were young, by our parents, grandparents, relatives, and teachers, we were told to go to college, major in something, and graduate. Once that happened, one could obtain a job and work making honest to good money. Oh boy did they lie off their wazoos to us.

How many of you have graduated college? How many are doing something in their chosen field? Are making honest money?

Or does this picture of black and white with no hope in the world pertain to you: No job or doing a job that requires a high school diploma and making 8, 9, or maybe 10 dollars an hour? If you choose the later, then you would be classified as "underemployed".

Are you the only one at your "job" that has a college education? Do you feel like you've been lied to by everyone and now notice that graduating college doesn't guarantee anything anymore? Are you frustrated? Are you bitter? Do you even regret going to college? Do you regret majoring in something that has lead to nothing while you should have majored in something that could easily land you a job?

Nothing in a certainty in this world anymore. There is now a surplus of people with bachelor degrees in the United States. On top of that, a shaky economy (although it will improve) and companies outsourcing jobs over seas for cheaper labor has also made it hard for those with a higher education degree to land a job. The bachelor degree has now become the new high school diploma of yesteryear. Also to add salt to the wound, companies are now adding "experience" to entry level jobs. But that contradicts the term "entry level" when it's suppose to be a position for someone with no experience. Right? I thought so!

Even though we have heard and read dry facts and figures how some with a bachelors degree should earn about 41,000 starting off vs someone who has a high school diploma earning 28,000 a year, while someone with a masters degree can earn 50,000 or more, we all know now a days that those figures mean nothing. what the figures fail to mention is what degree you need to have in order to earn those kinds of salaries.

There are people with bachelors degrees working at places like Walmart and making 9 dollars an hour, waiting tables, working in other retail places, working as secretaries, working in factories, doing anything that is far beyond and below what those people who graduated from college thought they would be doing.

Also, another point to add is that now people are saying go and get a masters degree thereby making you standout more compared to all of the sea of people with bachelor degrees. But then again those people also fail to say which masters degree program one should apply for.

But would getting a masters degree help you? Maybe, maybe not. It's the same uncertainty scenario with a bachelors degree. Though the old saying "knowledge is power and the more knowledge you have the better you'll be" could be practical in some cases, it doesn't apply for everyone. You can have a masters degree thinking now you should get a job. However, you lack experience thereby having companies pass over you for someone else. You apply, apply, apply, but nothing happens. Now you're back at the same spot where you had that bachelors degree and no job prospects, only now you have a masters degree but no job prospects.

And now people are racking up school debt like racking up flies using flypaper. Some people might have a little debt or some might have 30,000, 40,000, 50,000 or more in debt and can't find a job or get something that has them earning far less than expected. How are they suppose to pay off their school debt if they're only making 9 dollars an hour working at a coffee shop? More importantly, how are people suppose to earn a living if they are working at a low paying job or are unemployed because they can't find a job because they don't have enough experience or they are overqualified? What then? Where's the light at the end of the tunnel? When does the nightmare end?

Kermit the frog once stated "life's like a movie, right your own ending". Although that's a good philosophy phrase to help you get to your dreams, now more than ever those dreams might not come true. Even with hard work you put into going to college and graduating, you might not get to your dreams if you have a lot of road blocks that I have mentioned above in my little essay.

Does my rant tell you not to go to college? Simply put it, no. But for those who are in high school, in their early years in college and don't know what to major in, or someone who is older and is thinking about going to college for the first time or back to college, I suggest you major in something that has a future such as engineering, accounting, becoming a nurse, a doctor, or becoming a banker. Those can easily land you into something without too much time, especially if you do an internship.

What about me if you might have to ask. Yes I graduated college over three years ago with a bachelors in history. I even got certified to teach social studies in grades 4-8, applied to 30 school districts, and even went to 5 job interviews. Did that help me? Nope. Did I get a lot of job interviews? I got one and that was with a school district I did not even apply for at the time, they found me. But alas, I did not secure that teaching position. And on top of that, I've been working low wage jobs making 8, 9, and 10 dollars an hour at places requiring nothing more than a high school diploma.

Has college helped me at the very least? Nope, other than doing research, improving my study habits, and writing 15 page essays. Do I regret going to college? All the time. Do I think college is a waste? Indeed I do. Will it be a waste if you go? I don't know. It could be if you major in the wrong thing.

*This rant brought to you by the higher institute of learning where going to college improves you in more ways than you could possibly imagine*

wwfpooh

Reaction score
And, even for something like Muppeteering, something all of us probably would like to do, it too involves engineering and those job types that involve things that some of us may not be interested in (like math, science, or what have you), considering all the work that goes into creating the characters, getting performances down right, and making sure the intended audience is pleased.

*this post was brought to you by the letter C, which--although it does start the word, "Cookies"--in this instance, it's used to spell the word, "College"*

sesameguy

Reaction score
Has college helped me at the very least? Nope, other than doing research, improving my study habits, and writing 15 page essays. Do I regret going to college? All the time. Do I think college is a waste? Indeed I do. Will it be a waste if you go? I don't know. It could be if you major in the wrong thing.
I definitely understand how you feel. Although I'm lucky enough to be working in a field that at least "sort of" matches my degree, it wasn't always like that. I had to do a few jobs that were "beneath" my level of learning before I finally found one that I (usually) enjoy.

It may sound trite to say "keep trying," but that's basically what worked for me. While I was working at the other jobs, I was also seeking work elsewhere. A few small doors opened up, including one that didn't seem to be exactly what I wanted. But even there, I managed to gain some skills which still help me out in my current job. I hope that in your current job, you can find something that you enjoy about it. And keep in mind that as long as you keep trying, this job is only temporary.

You're right that college does not guarantee a job. But that's not the only reason for going there. Hopefully, you also learned a few things- not just in your studies, but in college life itself. The degree is only a small part of the college experience. In the best cases, college makes you a better person. If nothing else, you have something to put on your resume besides "High School Graduate." That may not seem like much of a step up, but at least it's something that not everyone can claim.

Good luck to you in your search!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I definitely understand how you feel. Although I'm lucky enough to be working in a field that at least "sort of" matches my degree, it wasn't always like that. I had to do a few jobs that were "beneath" my level of learning before I finally found one that I (usually) enjoy.

It may sound trite to say "keep trying," but that's basically what worked for me. While I was working at the other jobs, I was also seeking work elsewhere. A few small doors opened up, including one that didn't seem to be exactly what I wanted. But even there, I managed to gain some skills which still help me out in my current job. I hope that in your current job, you can find something that you enjoy about it. And keep in mind that as long as you keep trying, this job is only temporary.

You're right that college does not guarantee a job. But that's not the only reason for going there. Hopefully, you also learned a few things- not just in your studies, but in college life itself. The degree is only a small part of the college experience. In the best cases, college makes you a better person. If nothing else, you have something to put on your resume besides "High School Graduate." That may not seem like much of a step up, but at least it's something that not everyone can claim.

Good luck to you in your search!
Definitely agree with everything you said. I didn't start out with the best job either, I had to work awhile and gain experience.

But it's true that college does not guarantee a job. It can make it easier, relative to people who did not go to college. But again, it's not a guarantee. In college though, you do have the once in a lifetime opportunity to take the time to learn about and analyze the classics and learn about the world. There are so many people who love learning and could be great assests to various fields, but money held them back from a college education.

Groucho Marx, for example, wanted to be a doctor as a child, but college was out of the question. Of course, he managed to find an alternative in show business, but it took years and hard work before even that career was built. And even in his later years, he enjoyed reading and learning. I'm sure he still wished he'd been given the opportunity to spread his wings more with education. But he made the effort to compensate for that loss for himself. I think that really puts things in perspective.

Good luck! I don't know what you've tried obviously, but the main thing is to keep sending out resumes over and over, look for opportunities in unlikely places, go to job agencies, and network. And remember you're not alone.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I remember going for a job a few years again at one of the burger joints.(sonics) I know it isn't muhc , but I had nine months working in the food industry and they told me that I needed more experience. This is an entry level job, Every time I have gone there they have gotten my oder wrong. One time I went back there and told them that they got my order wrong and they told me that it would cost more. But it was what I ordered and the customer is always right, right? They wouldn't hire me. I mean I can get people orders wrong and get arrogant about it. I mean more experience? To flip a burger? It just reminded me of when Paris Hilton was working there and screwing up everything. But if she can get the hang of things I mean who cant? That's hope for anybody right?:confused: :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hey, I've been steadily unemployed since I graduated 4 years ago. I have absolutely no money to promote myself as a cartoonist, and I have been turned down for EVERY single job. And I have been looking even for part time stuff since second year of college.

This used to be the Land of oppertunity, but not thanks to corporate synargy, greed and incompetance, the oppertunity has been wrapped up, and given over seas. And we have pundints getting paid to say "No! The loss of American jobs is good for the economy, because the people who can't get work can pay 2 cents less for a lightbulb at WalMart." Then, they go on rants about how Mexicans are "stealing jobs." Bullcrap. They're given the jobs because the slave labor loving companies can pay them as little as they want , not offer them union benifits, and if they complain, it's deportation time.

There aren't enough jobs, and everything is about who you know. Especially if you just mooch off your parents for success, take over thei company, run it into the ground, and then fire all the workers, and abscond with the money to a private island.]

This is a Neo-Conservative distopia. The rich have too much, and they aren't sharing it with the poor. We're getting kicked to the side constantly while some Indian or Chinese bloke gets our jobs. Then, their countries over power us economically. Look at the FrankenChina monster we created. Lead toys, poisoned dog food...who knows what's going to come out of the "Keep everything bad a secret" government. The pseudo-Communist government loves to keep bad things a secret. Did you know there was an outbreak of AIDS in China at one point? No one in China knew.

The system has been demolished. It's not just broken. They've successfully built a middle ages style class system, and we're slowly becoming the Serfs. We have only our money loving leaders and corporate crapbrains to thank for this.

Seriously, I'm thinking of moving over seas to get an animation job. It's a million times worse if you want to make a cartoon series (or work on one) in a world where toons are chucked aside to make room for tweenage Bimbos and Himbos lipsyncing garbage pop.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I remember going for a job a few years again at one of the burger joints.(sonics) I know it isn't muhc , but I had nine months working in the food industry and they told me that I needed more experience. This is an entry level job, Every time I have gone there they have gotten my oder wrong. One time I went back there and told them that they got my order wrong and they told me that it would cost more. But it was what I ordered and the customer is always right, right? They wouldn't hire me. I mean I can get people orders wrong and get arrogant about it. I mean more experience? To flip a burger? It just reminded me of when Paris Hilton was working there and screwing up everything. But if she can get the hang of things I mean who cant? That's hope for anybody right?:confused: :stick_out_tongue:
How is it that they wanted you to have more experience? I'm assuming they weren't going to hire you because you graduated college and probably thought you were over qualified and that you wouldn't last that long before you moved on. Those kinds of places do have a high turnover rate anyway.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Thought I'd throw my two cents in for what it is worth.

I loved college. Best four years of my life. Yes I was getting an education, but also had many life experiences that I would have otherwise missed. I joined a sorority and before all of you jump on me and say, oh you must have just been a party girl let me explain that it was a social/service sorority. So while we had fun, our main focus was service projects in our community. I had the opportunity to travel with the choir. I was given many opportunities to develop leadership skills through being part of the orientation staff and also with on campus employment. I learned a great deal in my field of concentration, which was communication, but I also learned a great deal about life, about myself.

As for post college? I have had three jobs in four years. Yes, that's right. But they've all somehow encompased my major. Communication Studies may sound like an "easy" degree or things like that but let's face it, you use communication every day of your life and being an expert in it sure hasn't hurt. Currently I'm an office coordinator and I've used many of the skills I studied when I was in college. I'm making a decent amount of money and I am not the only one here who has a college degree.

I'm not writing this post to contradict anything of what has already been said. I know the economy is horrible right now, in fact, my husband, who also has a college degree has been struggling for six months to find a job in his field. So trust me, I know a college degree does not guarantee everything. For me though, I just have to say that I'm so glad I went to college and nothing beats the feeling of accomplishment when I walked across that stage to accept my diploma. Nothing in this life can take that away from me, I earned it.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
For me though, I just have to say that I'm so glad I went to college and nothing beats the feeling of accomplishment when I walked across that stage to accept my diploma. Nothing in this life can take that away from me, I earned it.
I went back to the university I graduated from a few months ago and wanted to throw my degree back at the school and say "here, take it. It hasn't helped me"!

Boy my father is getting really mad at me saying nothing but "negative" comments all the time.

Funny thing, my brother and I were the first two to graduate from college in our family's history. I guess that counts for something.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Boy my father is getting really mad at me saying nothing but "negative" comments all the time.
But the baby boomers are somewhat lucky as they're getting ready to retire, whereas we 20-somethings are given the unsurmountable task of dealing with the problems of the future. :stick_out_tongue: