Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Columbia Tri-Star will release 20 Muppet Show DVD's beginning in September

Columbia Tri-Star will release 20 Muppet Show DVD's beginning in September

By Phillip Chapman
Courtesy of Columbia Tri-Star
June 14, 2002

Not only is Columbia Tri-Star planning on releasing the direct-to-video film, Kermit's Swamp Years on September 3, 2002, but they also plan to begin releasing a series of twenty Muppet Show DVD's in September as well.

The first two volumes will be released on September 3 with Kermit's Swamp Years. The other Muppet Show volumes will likely be staggered over several months.

According to dvdangle.com, the DVD's "will be the exact same discs currently available from Time Life Video (episodes presented in their original full frame aspect ratio and original mono audio). Best of The Muppet Show Volume 1 (with the Elton John, Julie Andrews, and Gene Kelly episodes) and Best of The Muppet Show Volume 2 (with the Mark Hamill, Paul Simon, and Raquel Welch episodes) will be the first 2 installments. Future installments will be released shortly after -- there are currently 10 DVD's in the collection and 10 more are in production." Suggested retail prices are $24.95 per disc with a likely street price around $20.

It's likely these discs are being re-branded with the Columbia label in order to be sold in stores and mass-produced to correspond with the other 25th Muppet Show Anniversary Collectibles already on the market. Time-Life only sells their Muppet Show volumes via mail order. It appears that the Muppet Show DVD's are indeed the same as the Time-Life releases with the same cover art.

It's not yet known if the 10 new DVD's that are in production will also be sold through the "Time-Life" label or solely via Columbia Tri-Star. Either way, this is great news for Muppet Show fans that more episodes will be arriving on DVD later this year.

Time-Life released volumes 11-15 on VHS only, so these episodes will likely be arriving on DVD for the first time with volumes 16-20 being all new episodes not previously released by Time-Life.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Phil,

This is great news !

But i think it is silly to bring out the same as TimeLife. Why dont they just bring em out in Season Box Sets ?

Does any one feel a petition coming on ? Let me know if we should start one!

See ya

supertulip

Reaction score
Ooooh, season box sets sound so cool and yet I am glad they are doing it this way so that none of the episodes in the first ten Time-Life DVD's will be doubled up on. That way I can just add to this collection the easy way - which I can't wait to do!

~Tulip

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
This is great! I hope volumes 16-20 include the extras that TimeLife has put on the DVDs-- the UK skits that were edited out of the US episodes and Muppetisms and whatnot.

Perhaps there will be a US release of Of Muppets and Men, too....

Luke

Reaction score
Sounds cool, but only 5 actual new products, the other being duplicates of the DVD's or Videos from Timelife and thats if it actually makes it to 20 before the company gets sold - if we saw a Disney sale i doubt the staggered releases would continue.

It might have been nicer for them to have released in season order if they were gonna release through Columbia. Hopefully should see some international releases though. The thing is Columbia were so good about extras with the DVD release in the UK, but just rebadging Time Life products will mean they probably won't get the chance.

MuppetDanny

Reaction score
To BorkBork

How do u download them?

Hope to hear from u

MuppetDanny

BorkBork

Reaction score
If you use Internet Explorer, you just follow the link. When you see a file you want, right-click and choose save target as... or something like that. Or copy to hard disk...

/anders

MuppetDanny

Reaction score
BorkBork

Thanks, I try it out it now, hang on............................................ What, to download "TMM" takes over 1 day & 14 hrs, shame I would like to see "TMM" in widescreen:frown: , is thay any chance brake it into smaller parts?

MuppetDanny