Comic Book fans UNITE!

lowercasegods

Reaction score
Animal Jam said:
Since when did they have Popeye comics?
They've had Popeye comics pretty much since the dawn of comic books. Popeye premiered in the "Thimble Theatre" newspaper comic strip in 1929, and Popeye comic books have been around since the late 30s. I actually have one from 1959, published by Dell Comics (which have been defunct since the 70s). I also have a Popeye Big Little book from around 1940. It's in rough shape, but it's pretty cool to have in my collection.

As for what comics I'm reading these days, nothing too recent, but a lot of graphic novels and trade paperbacks from years past. My absolute favorite is Alan Moore's The Watchmen, which I discovered back in 1989. It's the "Catcher in the Rye" of comics (and a movie coming in 2006).

I've also been a huge fan of Mike Mignola's Hellboy since the comic first came out in '93. I have all the trade paperbacks collecting his comics, plus a few original issues (I find it easier and cooler to collect the TB's, since you have it all right there at your fingertips).

And lastly, I've been collecting the Fables trade paperbacks. I still have to get the most recent one, but other than that, I'm all caught up. Great stuff. I love Willingham's modern twist on fairytales.

I'm currently working on my own comic book that I'll be self publishing (hopefully) in the next year. So obviously I'll be reading that as well.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
I have grave doubts as to what X-3 might end up like. No Bryon, no Cyclops (probably) no Storm (most likely) and no Jean (possible)/QUOTE]
Actually the entire cast (with the exception of Halle Berry) said they're all on board to do X3, and I'm not a hundred percent sure, but I think Josh Whedon (Astonishing X-Men writer) will be directing.
As for doing X3 after Superman, it does look highly unbelievably doubtful, but both Singer and Marvel said that it would be a welcomed change, but scheduling just doesn't look likely.
When Brian Singer was asked why he chose Superman over X3, he said the dream was always Superman. He's supposedly a huge Superman fan and a nominal X-Men fan.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
Actually, Whedon's off X-Men (which he was never officially on), and is close to being signed to develop a new Wonder Woman movie. Also, for fans of Whedon, be sure to catch his written and directed theatrical film "Serenity", a big screen spin off of his wonderful yet sadly cancelled TV series "Firefly." It'll be in theatres in September.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Though I haven't been keeping up as of late (read "pockets are empty"), I read:

-Ka-Zar (I have almost a complete set of all runs, still need a few books)
-Anything Templesmith (30 Days of Night, Dark Days, Singularity 7, etc.)
-Star Wars (Dark Horse only; not messing with anything older as of now)

...and generally anything horror/sci-fi related (Aliens, PSYCHO, etc.), and anything with abstract, out-of-the-ordinary artwork (Ash Wood, Mack, Templesmith, etc.)

I really wish I could afford to get back into it; my shop just closed my file due to its increased size and me not having the funds to clear it. :cry:

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Any fan's of nostalgic comic book "Shanna the She Devil" or Frank Cho's brilliant artwork from the daily syndicated newspaper strip "Liberty Meadow's"; I strongly recommend Mr. Cho's new "Shanna" title. It's a bit gory and of course there are lots of shots of ladies losin' their clothes, but it's an intense storyline too. I highly recomend it.
lowercasegods said:
Actually, Whedon's off X-Men (which he was never officially on), and is close to being signed to develop a new Wonder Woman movie. Also, for fans of Whedon, be sure to catch his written and directed theatrical film "Serenity", a big screen spin off of his wonderful yet sadly cancelled TV series "Firefly." It'll be in theatres in September.
Thanks for the update, I wasn't aware of that (I haven't picked up the last two issues of Wizard).

Beauregard

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
Beauregard said:
I have grave doubts as to what X-3 might end up like. No Bryon, no Cyclops (probably) no Storm (most likely) and no Jean (possible)/QUOTE]
Actually the entire cast (with the exception of Halle Berry) said they're all on board to do X3, and I'm not a hundred percent sure, but I think Josh Whedon (Astonishing X-Men writer) will be directing.
As for doing X3 after Superman, it does look highly unbelievably doubtful, but both Singer and Marvel said that it would be a welcomed change, but scheduling just doesn't look likely.
When Brian Singer was asked why he chose Superman over X3, he said the dream was always Superman. He's supposedly a huge Superman fan and a nominal X-Men fan.
When/where did they say this? Cause I heard recently that Cyclops was goign with Bryon and acting in Superman, and that Bryon was trying to get Jean do join him in it too.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Last I read, all the actors said in an article in Wizard that they loved their characters and wanted to see them play out, but no one (except Rebecca Ro-however you spell her name and I think Ian MacKellen) was actually signed on so you may be correct. Like I said, I haven't picked up the last two issues of Wizard.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Ahhh. Poor Rebecca having to have all that make-up again!

And after film one she swore she'd never let them do it to her again!

lowercasegods

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
Last I read, all the actors said in an article in Wizard that they loved their characters and wanted to see them play out, but no one (except Rebecca Ro-however you spell her name and I think Ian MacKellen) was actually signed on so you may be correct. Like I said, I haven't picked up the last two issues of Wizard.
The only cast member who isn't positive she's returning is Halle Berry. Her decision is based on the filmmakers' willingness (or unwillingness) to beef up her role, give her more screentime and allow her to be the strong character that Storm was in the comics.

James Marsden, who played Cyclops, will likely pull double duty in X3 and Superman Returns, where he'll play Richard White, son of Daily Planet Publisher Perry White.

And just today it was announced that director Matthew Vaughn (I guess he did a film called "Layer Cake?") is taking over the helm of the X-Men franchise.

For anyone interested in comic books and the movies made about them, I'd encourage you to visit superherohype.com. They have new information daily about any comic book to movie project you can imagine, and are waaayyyy more up to speed on recent developments than any magazine could hope to be (though I am a fan of Wizard).

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Very very sweet, thanks lowercasegods; I never heard of that web site so it was definately a treat... and all hail Wizard!