COMIC STRIP COMPLAINT, Etc.

radionate

Reaction score
Both are retired strips. Outland didn't last long at all.

Bloom County is being reissued online though thru ucomics

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Rock 103 has some kind of REALLY stupid advertising department. On a billboard, they have Bill the Cat's head poking out of a square.

I have asked Tim Spencer to get me and Lin hired on to work for them in advertising, but NOOOO! THey get a guy who reders a badly drawn Bill the Cat for their BULLetin board ad.

Blech!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
Definitely Doonesbury!! Actually, it isn't in our local paper next to regular dailies; it's in sports or editorials, I forget which, along with Ziggy (?!) and a comic strip about a duck.

Badly drawn toons? I agree. I can never bring myself to read Sally Forth. It looks like something I'VE drawn!! Ick.

As far as simplicity goes, I like Mutts and Born Loser. Those are fun. I can't see why the simpler drawn comics aren't as well liked as the more detailed drawn strips. Anybody familiar with Mutts? No or Yesh?

Doonsburry is a good strip, but it was MUUUUCH better in the 70's during Vietnam... I have a few books of strips from that era. In the 80's Hippy became Yuppie, and they were'nt as good strip.

Bloom County? Can't say how much I love it enough!

But Sally Forth? Yuck! Bad Writting, semi bad drawing... Can't stand it! But everytime I see Sylvia....YUCK!!! I wanna gouge out my eye balls... I'd love to be in a Lucha Libre Ring with her for 90 seconds...POW!!!!

Mutts I like, but when they do the "Tales from the Pound" adopt a pet today strips, it loses me...

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
THey get a guy who reders a badly drawn Bill the Cat for their BULLetin board ad.
nooo!!! I love Bill! I got my brother a gift bag for his b-day that said, Bill the cat has been working on something for your birthday. it had bill a big hairball and opus saying is that called for?

who dares to draw a bad picture of bill? (wow...I have a thing for bills)

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
radionate said:
Both are retired strips. Outland didn't last long at all.
I was actually introduced to Bloom Country via Outland I think. I loved Outland, but I like most people agree that Bloom Country was the stronger strip.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I liked them both. I have an Opus doll that for some reason or other makes me giggle.

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Oh gosh! I LOVE Bloom County! I have all the books as they were passed down to me from my older bro.

Aww, I like Family Curcius, but MOOSE MILLER does NOT make any sence!!!! try reading them! they are pointless-unfunny! :confused: and I used to like it when I was younger just because of all the animals in the back ground....weird....

there diffrent comics in diffrent areas though.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Hiya,

We're supposed to be getting the Buckets here soon, but they haven't begun running yet.

www.ucomics.com has Comics Sherpa where you can set up your own comic strip website like they have for their own famous cartoonists! Check it out.

somethingofafan

Reaction score
I enjoy most of the comics, especially "The Far Side" and its imitators. There are some comics that our state paper does not carry that I will make a special trip to the Internet for. Among these are "For Better or for Worse," the "Peanuts" reprints, and the weekday "Popeye" reprints (even though it's not the original Segar, Sagendorf's work is a close second in quality, much better than the guy they've got doing the new Sunday strips).

Garfield does seem to have lost its focus lately. When I look at strips from the early days, it's clear that it was about a cat, whereas nowadays Garfield seems to be a more run-of-the-mill cartoon character.

I wholeheartedly agree with Schulz' decision to have "Peanuts" retire with him. Though if an artist or syndicate does choose to have a strip continue afterward, I'd agree with Hank Ketcham's approach, working closely with his successors until he died so that some semblance of quality would continue after his death. (In fact, when Ketcham retired a few years ago, the newspaper canceled "Dennis," but brought it back when they realized the new stuff was stll good.