Comics?

JJandJanice

Reaction score
My favorite characters are Rogue and Gambit :excited:. I have both of their first appearances :smile:
I love Rogue and Gambit as well, Rogue is probably my favorite heorie of all time.

I have the comic in which Rogue frist becomes a member of the X-men which is issue #171. You're not talking about that one are you, cause that's not the first appearance of Rouge, she was at first a member of the "Evil botherhood of Muntants."

Redsonga

Reaction score
I love Rogue and Gambit as well, Rogue is probably my favorite heorie of all time.

I have the comic in which Rogue frist becomes a member of the X-men which is issue #171. You're not talking about that one are you, cause that's not the first appearance of Rouge, she was at first a member of the "Evil botherhood of Muntants."
Nope, although I have that issue to :smile:. It is an issue of the Avengers actually...I hate her old first hair and outfit, she had the most ugly pants in the history of the world...

anytimepally

Reaction score
Comic Strips: my favorites are Peanuts and The Boondocks. I also really enjoy Brevity

Comic Books: I have all the Masters of the Universe comics, the Bishop mini-series from X-Men, and misc other comic books

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
Hmm... I'm a manga girl, though I still indulge in funnies like Zits and Peanuts. I haven't read Garfield in years, though :/

dwmckim

Reaction score
When i was a kid, i loved comics and cartoons that made me laugh - i never cared for either animated cartoons about super heroes or comic books about them. But i eventually got into Alpha Flight when i was around college age as i loved the idea of a gay super hero and there was a big deal about Northstar coming out after 100 issues (with clues about his sexuality in past issues) - i've read every issue of all three incarnations and really fell in love with this Canadian group that figured heavily in Wolverine's origins.

I loved Archie comics when i was a kid - pure comedic slapstick - and a few years back i found a whole bunch of digests in a used bookstore, couldn't resist revisiting this part of my childhood and got hooked all over again.

I also enjoy comics based on characters i like but only if they're both (a) true to the characters and (b) not dumbed down - the Simpsons comics have been amazing as far as that goes and another comic book that actually did quite well in that regard was Ren and Stimpy - evenutally often being better than the show.

I love comic strip anthologies - i was a huge Peanuts fan as a kid (my first bedroom had a big Snoopy on the floor) and i love how deep and profound it was on so many levels. Current faves include Calvin and Hobbes, Foxtrot, the Boondocks (the comic was so much funnier than the show), Doonesbury, Bloom County, and especially (and i'm surprised no one's mentioned this one yet) Pearls Before Swine. I loved Garfield in high school (the eyes always reminded me of looking very Muppety), but looking back at old books years later, i don't find them near as funny as i did back then - lots of cliches actually - i think the cartoons eventually surpassed the strip in terms of comedy.

Some more esoteric comics i've loved have included Hothead Paisan Homicidal Lesbian Feminist, and Chelsea Boys (which was co-written by a former writer with JHC)

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
Just rembered one I should have posted previously: Footrot Flats! I love Footrot Flats, and so do my Aunts and sister. The movie was hilarious, and I get all of the rural humor, and the sheep jokes. Ah, New Zealand will you ever change?

sesameguy

Reaction score
I'm a big comics fan as well. My favorites include Peanuts, Calvin and Hobbes, Dilbert, Pearls Before Swine. I don't read them all every day, but I like to read them from time to time.

I also like comic books, but I think I enjoy the characters more than I do collecting the comics. For example, I may not have too many issues of "Superman," but I enjoy the Superman TV show and the movies.

BTW, for you big-time Charlie Brown fans, you might want to buy some of the "Complete Peanuts" books that are being printed now. This year's copy covers 1967 to 1970. I found mine at Barnes & Noble.

You can peek at a few of my favorite Peanuts strips in this blog posting:

http://heroshaven.blogspot.com/2006/04/classic-peanuts-strips.html

Pork

Reaction score
Just rembered one I should have posted previously: Footrot Flats! I love Footrot Flats, and so do my Aunts and sister. The movie was hilarious, and I get all of the rural humor, and the sheep jokes. Ah, New Zealand will you ever change?
Aaah yes, good ol' Footrot Flats. we used to stay at this place on holidays that had like...mostly all...the footrot Flats Comics. Some of em were really quite hilarious. I remember seeing a bit of the movies...not all. I loved Horse!

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
I've been a fan of Batman for as long as I could remember.

I enjoy Peanuts, Garfield, Calvin & Hobbes...

Aside from Batman, I was always a big Spider-Man, X-Men, Hulk, Fantastic Four and Punisher fan.

One of the most obscure comics I was a fan of was The Heckler, a DC character, who appeared in six issues in the 1990s. The Heckler didn't have any real superpowers. He wore a bright yellow costume, and "defeated" his enemies with his razor-sharp jokes and wit. His enemies would end up baffled and humiliated by his put-downs.

The Heckler (a.k.a. Stu Moseley) had a colorful assortment of villains: Cosmic Clown, C'est Hay (a singing/dancing scarecrow), Bushwack'r (a bounty hunter, whose weapons would backfire on him) and Boss Glitter, the mob boss of the Heckler's city.

I'm a big fan of the Simpsons comics, too. I mostly collect the anthologies.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
Since it doesn't seem like we've had a comics thread in recent history, I figured I would start one.

I assume there are at least some sequential art enthusiasts here. What kind of comics do you like? Newspaper strips? Superhero comics? Manga? Web-comics? The infinite canvas?

I'm a bit stretched for time at the moment myself, so I'll post my opinions later.
First off, AWESOME topic, and thanks for starting it!

My preferences are all across the board. I love the superhero comics put out my DC and Marvel, though I tend to lean more towards Marvel as a fan. Hulk, Wolverine and the Thing are probably my favorite Marvel characters, but I think Amazing Spider-Man (circa 80's thru 90's) is my favorite Marvel book.

With DC, Batman was the best, but the stuff they put out through their Vertigo line, particularly Sandman and more recently Fables, has been just great. But as far as superheroes go, I feel that Wonder Woman could be bigger and better than Superman. She's an incredible character, but in over 60 years of publishing, they've never quite gotten her right. Still, I think she's an awesome character.

My all time favorite comic book is Hellboy, published by Dark Horse. Probably my all time favorite character, too. It's been very influential on my own comic, Dead Duck.

I also tend to favor a lot of long forgotten or canceled books. Marvel's Howard the Duck (at least his run in the 70's written by Steve Gerber and drawn by Gene Colan) was incredible and also influential on my work. DC's short lived book 'Mazing Man, which ran in the 80's, was the absolute best. It was as if Friends the TV series was made into a comic. Just brilliant.

And the most underrated comic book of all time? Flaming Carrot, which has been under many publishers, most recently Image. That book is so incredibly weird and funny. It's my second favorite comic after Hellboy.

While I'm not a fan of Manga, I appreciate that it's still a form of comics, and that it draws in a lot of young readers who wouldn't necessarily have read comics otherwise. I just wish Manga books didn't take up the majority of the bookshelves in big chain bookstores from other graphic novels and trade paperbacks.

So that's MY two cents!