1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Confessing Fears

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Flaky Pudding, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Flaky Pudding

Flaky Pudding Well-Known Member

I have a SUPER embarrassing one to admit. I've questioned whether I should post this or not, because out of all the ridiculous fears and cartoon crushes I've confessed on this forum:this one may take the cake in terms of embarrassment *sigh* here goes:I was scared of the Grateful Dead bears when I was little. No, seriously!? That is not a joke, those cute teddy bear-like things scared me for some reason. I think it may have had something to do with their eyes and mouths (they don't even look human so I can't use the Uncanny Valley excuse to defend this one). Honestly, this one is by far the weirdest thing I was ever scared of as a child. I'm just speculating here but maybe it was because the band name is the Grateful Dead and maybe that made me think they were supposed to be undead bears or something. But I highly doubt it, because they look just like regular old teddy bears. Yeah, I don't have anything else to say about this one.

muppetgem and MikaelaMuppet like this.
  2. Flaky Pudding

Actually my cousin had the same Chuck E. Cheese fear. He's currently a man in his early 30s but will still sometimes mention that fear in a joking way, without any embarrassment at all. I'm not surprised though because he's pretty much a big kid;he still watches Ninja Turtles and Disney movies a lot. Let me put it this way, we gave him toys of the Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers a while back and he loved it. He was so excited when he first saw them. Personally, I think it's great to see an adult who doesn't abandon their childhood things completely. Unfortunately, some people will think it's "cool" to have nothing to do with family friendly/children's media once they turn 18. I'm just glad he's not that way, :). Although I do think it's quite funny when he lists his favorite shows;the diverse mixture of Disney-type things and adult cartoons is hilarious.

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  3. muppetgem

muppetgem Well-Known Member

When I was little, I used to be really afraid of the scene in Disney's Hercules when Hercules decapitated the Hydra. When he slices its heads off, there's "gore" gushing everywhere and you can even see the innards of the necks and everything. Pretty disturbing stuff for a Disney movie, in my opinion.

4. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

I was afraid of a song on Barney & Friends when I was younger.

5. Flaky Pudding

Which one?

6. Flaky Pudding

Back when I was younger, I spent the night at my aunt's house. I was sleeping in my cousin's room, briefly turned on the lights and saw an ALF stuffed animal on his shelf. Considering this was at night and I had no idea what it was supposed to be, seeing that thing staring at me kind of freaked me out a bit. But then once my neighbor started showing me ALF clips on YouTube, I found the character hilarious and he quickly became one of the funnier non-Henson puppets that I liked back then (the Jeff Dunham ones were always my favorites though and still are)

7. Flaky Pudding

I also used to be scared by the Mercer Mayer book, There's a Nightmare in My Closet. I don't know why, the monster looked scary probably. Which in all honesty, I'm kind of glad that I was scared by this one. Because one night when I was really little, I couldn't sleep because of that book and my mom said I could watch TV to help me fall asleep. Because this was late at night and I was used to be Cartoon Network be a kid's channel, I put it on whatever was playing and it ended up being none other than Robot Chicken. It was the episode where Big Bird got the Bird Flu and Casper was being referred to as the d***bag ghost, considering I was already familiar with both Sesame Street and Casper (well, the movie version with Christina Ricci, anyway):I found the show absolutely hysterical. I didn't get the really adult stuff and the only thing that really got me going was the bleeps. Hearing children's characters talk like that is by far one of the funniest things to an immature kid who's never heard of [adult swim]. Long story short, my mom caught a part of their very inappropriate Cat in the Hat episode and banned me from the show for a long time, but technically it was that creepy Mercer Mayer book that got me into Robot Chicken (and is probably the reason I started liking other similar things, Happy Tree Friends for example:along the way). Yes, I blame that slightly disturbing children's book for my inappropriate sense of humor :). So if I become an Adam Sandler-type comedy writer in the future, I owe it all to Mercer Mayer and his twisted drawings of a monster lol.

8. MikaelaMuppet

All The Pretty Little Horses (I think)

9. Flaky Pudding

Why? I'm just wondering

10. MikaelaMuppet

I have no idea to be honest. That was the only song of the show that I disliked, but loved all of the others.

11. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Echoing gem's post about Disney, I remember as a kid being pretty terrified of "The Sorceror's Apprentice" from Fantasia the first couple times I saw it.

12. muppetgem

muppetgem Well-Known Member

Were you ever scared of Chernabog (the demon in the Night on Bald Mountain segment) at all? He never really bothered me, but I've heard lots of people say that they were terrified of him as kids.

Flaky Pudding likes this.
  13. Flaky Pudding

I don't mind Chernabog either, he just looks like a character from Disney's Gargoyles to me.

14. LittleJerry92

Surprisingly he never did. Maybe because I was intrigued by how spooky he was.

15. Flaky Pudding

I can't post it because it's just SO offensive and disturbing but.........the Snuggles Softener Bear skit from Robot Chicken. That "sketch" is nightmare fuel in it's purest form. I've never had a problem with the Softener Bear as a kid, I'm not THAT much of a wuss. But how they portrayed him was beyond disturbing (if your wondering what I'm on about, it was a sexual assault joke. Yeah, that's why I'm not posting it). I wish I could get this extremely cringey animation out of my head, but it's permanently implanted in my brain unfortunately. Thankfully however, I haven't had any nightmares about it yet :). It's ironic how even Seth Green admitted that he hates this skit with a passion and his mouth dropped opened when he first saw it being played in the writer's room. The majority of the writers felt same the way according to the audio commentary on the season 2 DVD. I don't mean this offensively, but that probably means that whoever wrote that skit has a VERY sick mind.

16. LittleJerry92

I'll be honest, there was one snuggles the bear commercial I remember kind of frightening me when I was a kid.... All I remember was he was on top of a washing machine and it was violently shaking and I think it exploded.

17. Flaky Pudding

Don't get me wrong, I was never scared of the character himself but the parody version of him is a completely different story. I was actually kind of surprised when I heard about how many people were scared of him as a kid, but the reason he never bothered me was probably because I had a teddy bear that looked kind of like him when I was little and I LOVED that thing. I called it Baby Bear and I literally loved it to pieces. Long story short, I accidentally ripped it in half while I was playing too rough with the toy one day lol.

18. Flaky Pudding

One of my introductions to Internet videos was also one of the most disturbing animations I've seen to this day. It was called Mr. Happy Face (Yeah, I'm sure everyone who knows what I'm talking about is already cringing right now). The short was about a boy sitting next to his TV on a rainy day, causally watching a seemingly innocent cartoon about a talking smiley face when suddenly lightning hits his house which somehow causes the character to come to life. We then quickly discover that the smiley face is actually a serial killer and he ends up killing both the kid and his dog. I was in 5th Grade when I first saw this twisted little Newgrounds video, I thought this was a child friendly cartoon at first and was shocked when I discovered the true nature of it. I honestly forgot about the video for years (my mind probably blocked it out.....for good reason) until earlier this year, I was doing searches for something online (I forget what) which somehow led me to the Mr. Happy Face video. As soon as I saw the thumbnail, I started shivering and got really creeped out but for the life of me I had no idea why. Although the character looked startlingly familiar, I wasn't sure why he bothered me so bad so I decided to watch the video to refresh my memory and as soon as I saw that evil emoji knockoff holding a knife, those horrific memories all came flooding back to me. Yeah, now I'm just waiting for it to leave my mind for a few more years again. I miss those good old days lol :super:

19. Flaky Pudding

For some reason, on the same audio commentary one of the writers of the show said that they found this little skit creepier than the Snuggles softener bear one:

Jeez, you must have to REALLY like monkeys to find this skit more disturbing than their nightmarish interpretation of Snuggles. I actually really like this one and was quite surprised to hear that. In fact, one time I burnt a bunch of my YouTube videos on a disc to give to a friend and used the monkeys in outerspace song as the main menu music. Maybe the fact that it's catchy kind of eases off the creepiness a little. But honestly, the Snuggles skit is the only one that ever truly disturbed me on Robot Chicken. There have been ones that confused me, annoyed me, or grossed me out but none of the others one have actually managed to scare me. Family Guy and American Dad on the other hand, that's a completely different story. Although similar, some of the gags on those shows REALLY make my skin crawl (Peter shaving a cat, Roger ripping off some random kid's skin, etc.). I find that to be quite unusual though because of how Family Guy is a very unrealistic looking 2D animated show but yet Robot Chicken uses dolls. For many people, dolls are synonymous with fear, so yeah that doesn't make much sense to me why the show where a lot of the characters probably auditioned for Chucky doesn't normally have that kind of reaction from me lol

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017 at 12:34 AM