1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Contact cement

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by MIKEB97, Dec 8, 2002.

1. MIKEB97

MIKEB97 New Member

Today, I just bought a tin of contact cement. How do I use it properly when I build a puppet?
  2. BryanS

BryanS New Member

Hi Mike,
    I am not sure as to what materials you are trying to glue together, when I glue foam together I just paint a thin layer of contact cement on both pieces of foam and wait a few seconds for the cement to get tacky or sticky then lightly press the two pieces together. If they are big pieces. You have to be careful and make sure the pieces are right where you want them before you really press them together that stuff sticks together fast.

Hope that helps.
  3. MIKEB97

MIKEB97 New Member

I'm trying to glue half ping pong balls on fabric. Should I use a stick to dab the cement on the fabric?
  4. BryanS

BryanS New Member

The contact cement I use has a stick with a brush on the end of it made onto the lid. I would try to find a small craft brush like a small stiff brissel flat paint brush so you can brush it on evenly.

as to glueing half ping pong balls onto material I am trying to figure that one out myself LOL. are you using them as the eyes of the puppet

What type of puppet are you building?
  5. MIKEB97

MIKEB97 New Member

I haven't purchased ping pong balls yet however, I'm planning to cut one in half and draw pupils on them. I'm thinking of building a Monster puppet. What do I need to make the monster look fuzzy and What can I use for teeth?
  6. Treelo

Treelo Member

The neat thing about contact cement (or Barge - which is what we use) is that you can correct mistakes. Just heat the glue with a hair dryer and the pieces will come apart.
  7. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Active Member

One important thing to remember about contact cement is you must use it in a well-ventilated area and wear a respirator mask when working with it as the fumes are very toxic and can make you ill. You should also wear thin latex gloves gloves if possible because it is very unhealthy to get the contact cement on to your skin.

Go to a good hardware or art supply store where they really know what they are talking about (not Michaels or Home Depot!) and they should be able to tell you which type of respirator mask you need - always remember - safety first!
  8. Puppetplanet

Puppetplanet Member

I wanted to bring this thread back to life because I had two cents to put in the pot. :excited:

For the application of contact cement when constructing the foam of my puppets I have found that the suggestion offered by Grey Seal in the Foam Book Video is fantastic...... buy a ketchup or mustard sqeeze bottle with those small openings and squeeze out and spread where you need it. I bought a set of three from Walmart for $0.97, which came in red, yellow, and clear. I used the colored ones for the ketchup and mustard in my fridge and the clear for the glue.

I still suggest the brush method if your covering larger areas, but the bottle methods works great when your attaching ends, and seams of pieces and such.

Thats all I had to say for now! :p
  9. Ryan

Ryan New Member

I don't suggest contact cement. It's dangerous, it's messy, and it's not fun at all to work with. Hot glue does the job much faster and easier.
  10. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

I'd suggest doing a bit of research before beginning your project. Your first puppet will be a test as to whether or not you enjoy doing it, and the research you will do on getting it done will be invaluable!

You'll want to get an idea, sketch, or pattern of what you want to make. From there, you'll need to get your materials, likely from a fabric shop or hobby shop.

The first pattern I used was from Puppets With Personality (they're in Texas, and Bible Bookstores carry their patterns), and I made a regular people puppet pattern. That gave me the basic idea I needed to create other styles of puppets, and I think something simple like that would be beneficial to you, too.

http://www.wmresources.com/Shopping/Toys_and_Games/Puppets
  11. Puppetplanet

Puppetplanet Member

I don't like using hot glue for everything because it dries a bit too fast, and personally.... I get burned often. *laughing*

I dont' have a problem using contact cement at all, as long as you know to only apply it with gloves on in a well ventalated area..... your fine. Once it is tacky/ready to apply it's much easier (and less painful!).

Everyone has different methods though, I still use the hot glue, like for the eyes, nose, ears, and such.... but the majority of my foam construction is done with the cement.
  12. kroovi

kroovi New Member

I USE THE CONTACT CEMENT LIKE THIS:
    :halo: WHEN I WANT TO CONTACT TWO pieceS OF FOAM I BRUSH A layer OF THE GLUE ON EACH PIECE, THEN I WAIT UNTIL IT DRY (IT'S NOT WET OR TACKY) AND ONLY THAN I ATTACH THE TWO PIECES.
    :halo: WHEN I WANT TO GLUE THE FABRIC TO THE FOAM I PUT A LAYER OF GLUE ON THE FOAM AND ATTACH THE FABRIC IMMEDIATELY.
    :halo: FOR THE EYES I USE HOT GLUE.
  13. Tztz

Tztz Member

contact cement rullz!!! (at least when you try to glue together two sheets of foam. :p )
  14. Buck-Beaver

Just remember - you have to wear a respirator! The fumes from contact cement have all kinds of horrible, nasty, illness-inducing elements in it. It is not enough to just use it outdoors or in a well ventilated area.
  15. Puppetplanet

Puppetplanet Member

Hmmmm, I coulda swore that outside was acceptable and safe..... :eek: now I gotta go get my can and read it.

Yeah, it says to use in very well ventilated area. I use it outside with a fan on blowing any fumes AWAY from me (and into an open area). It doesn't mention anything about a respirator, not even to suggest it. Must be different brands that contain certain levels of harm.

Glad to know that I didn't put any brain cells in danger of frying..... I only got a couple left! :p
  16. Tztz

Tztz Member

there were time, when i slept few days in a room full of contact cemet :smirk: :( :grouchy: :grouchy: :grouchy:
  17. Buck-Beaver

You silly, silly man! Now we know what that green thing in your avatar is - it's Tztz after waking up in that room!

Seriously Tztz, that is REALLY bad for your health.
  18. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

Can some one tell me what types of books to look up for regular puppets foam and fuzz? for like working hand puppets and rod puppets?
  19. Tztz

Tztz Member

LOL
    you are right, i am dont doing it any more.

but i am silly, i agree.
  20. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

GOOD! You're our friend and we don't want anything happening to our friends around here!!