Contact cement

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
Ryan said:
I don't suggest contact cement. It's dangerous, it's messy, and it's not fun at all to work with. Hot glue does the job much faster and easier.
I don't like using hot glue for everything because it dries a bit too fast, and personally.... I get burned often. *laughing*

I dont' have a problem using contact cement at all, as long as you know to only apply it with gloves on in a well ventalated area..... your fine. Once it is tacky/ready to apply it's much easier (and less painful!).

Everyone has different methods though, I still use the hot glue, like for the eyes, nose, ears, and such.... but the majority of my foam construction is done with the cement.

kroovi

Reaction score
I USE THE CONTACT CEMENT LIKE THIS:
:halo: WHEN I WANT TO CONTACT TWO pieceS OF FOAM I BRUSH A layer OF THE GLUE ON EACH PIECE, THEN I WAIT UNTIL IT DRY (IT'S NOT WET OR TACKY) AND ONLY THAN I ATTACH THE TWO PIECES.
:halo: WHEN I WANT TO GLUE THE FABRIC TO THE FOAM I PUT A LAYER OF GLUE ON THE FOAM AND ATTACH THE FABRIC IMMEDIATELY.
:halo: FOR THE EYES I USE HOT GLUE.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Just remember - you have to wear a respirator! The fumes from contact cement have all kinds of horrible, nasty, illness-inducing elements in it. It is not enough to just use it outdoors or in a well ventilated area.

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
Hmmmm, I coulda swore that outside was acceptable and safe..... :eek: now I gotta go get my can and read it.

Yeah, it says to use in very well ventilated area. I use it outside with a fan on blowing any fumes AWAY from me (and into an open area). It doesn't mention anything about a respirator, not even to suggest it. Must be different brands that contain certain levels of harm.

Glad to know that I didn't put any brain cells in danger of frying..... I only got a couple left! :stick_out_tongue:

Erine81981

Reaction score
Can some one tell me what types of books to look up for regular puppets foam and fuzz? for like working hand puppets and rod puppets?

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
My room is just a puppety mess..... pretty soon the hubby will have to sleep on the couch. :stick_out_tongue:

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
Another perfectly good marriage lost to puppetry... :stick_out_tongue:

Yeah, you should have heard him roar when I mentioned a new room addition for my stuff. !:eek:

:mad: If they go, I go!!!

MIKEB97

Reaction score
Recently, I've just started building a puppet. I'm half done and Need to know something. I want to put old glasses on the face without eyes. How do I glue the glasses on without damaging the fleece?

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
I use clear (see thru) thread and put a small stich around the metal part that holds the nose cushions on and attach them to the nose. I also do the same thing with the arms of the glasses near or behind the ears to help keep them in place.

Hope this helps, I'm sure others will post with their ideas too.

By-The-Way....

<-----the glasses in my Avatar are actually made from pipe cleaners and did not have the metal prong that holds the nose cushion so I did just use a tad of hot glue on the nose and then some more behind the ears. :wink: