Controversial Topics

Drtooth

Reaction score
Honestly... they're FORCING kids to grow up too dang fast now. And we only care, to wrap this up to what we're saying, is when it's about sex. Like that stupid dance competition with the 9 year olds. Oh, THAT'S terrible. but there's just so much non-sexual crap they're exposed to that force them to grow up faster and whiff through the whole thing. And technology plays a little part of it, not forgetting that...

but then we have these self serving schmucks taking away their candy that turns their tongues blue, their happy meal prizes, they sit them down to watch Disney's live action tween-coms furthering the idiotic stereotype that cartoons are for kids... and ALL the pressure they put on them.

I HATE the "Your Baby can Read" stuff. I mean, I personally feel it's hokum... but the worst part is, if that stuff actually DID work, once you get them into school, they're light years ahead of what they're teaching anyway. There's some really annoying gap in age... they want the kids to be all kinds of ahead in their studies when they're toddlers, but they sit them down to preschool shows that treat their kids like they have developmental issues and need people to talk loud and slow and they need constant validation.... like when Dora congratulates them for sitting there and letting her answer their own questions.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Religion says we are sacred until for plot convenience we aren't.
What religion says that?
I take it she either didn't get the requisite hormones afterward or it just didn't do well in pill form?
Oh yeah she did... one of the problems is that they actually did her procedure incorrectly... rather than just remove her ovaries, they took out EVERYTHING.
I also want to see more "parenting" classes in school. You know, the crying toy baby that won't shut up for 24 hours. Let kids realize what's REALLY coming their way. It's not just cooing over a kid in a stroller. Once they realize they're gonna have to feed the kid about every hour to two hours for a very long time, that might kill some of their desire to have one right away.
Yeah, that's what we're talkin' 'bout.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Kids in middle school and high school are still going to go out and have sex regardless if they know the consequences or not, even if they get the information from their parents or a sex education class in school.

They might feel pressured to do it because everyone else is doing it or they get pressured from their boyfriend/girlfriend or friends. It's the same old story.

Drtooth

Reaction score
They might feel pressured to do it because everyone else is doing it or they get pressured from their boyfriend/girlfriend or friends. It's the same old story.
Oh yeah. let's NOT forget that. A lot of REALLY abusive relationships have the boyfriend (sometimes the girlfriend, but in most cases, it's the guy) force their partner into it, even if they don't want to. And then there's the dangerous R that I can't mention.

But it's a two way street, too. A lot of people who wish to remain pure till marriage rush into a loveless marriage due to the desire. That's the problem with being human... we're all animals. Only differences is we have a special room to deposit waste matter AND we have ceremonies for things that half of them disavow.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
And this is the part where someone walks in and chimes "If everyone else was jumping off a bridge, would you?"
They're teenagers boss. Teenagers can't think the way adults can, though some adults still act like teenagers in trying to get every person they can. But that's another story.

So far this thread I created has turned out to be interesting with lots of different opinions on subjects. See, we all can be civilized about these kinds of things.

Just don't start talking about politics. I hate those discussions.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I can do without political discussions myself.

Yeah, I'm actually surprised this thread has actually survived... I was sure it'd end being closed by the next day, but it's actually a hot topic now.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I never understood peer pressure. I grew up in an environment where the pressure was to join young religious groups and to do well in school. Needless to say I didn't do much of that. Most of it was as superficial as any other status symbol in other environments. However, better grades would have helped me out.

Instead I was kind of glam-Goth, but smiled too much and didn't buy into the silly bits of that culture. I was more like Ziggy Stardust with lips and hair colored black. I did smoke, but even that wasn't to be a joiner. I bought into the mystique of how it looked in the classic films of Hitchcock and Welles. I smoked 3 packs-a-day for 8 years! I know. Now I’m kind of a health nut, thank frog!

I've always done everything at my own pace and for my own reasons. I've always just figured it out. But kids now do have such pressure in this electronic age of texting. Growing up is awkward enough without having everything recorded and distributed via text, YouTube and Facebook. :sympathy:

Kiki

Reaction score
I never understood peer pressure. I grew up in an environment where the pressure was to join young religious groups and to do well in school. Needless to say I didn't do much of that. Most of it was as superficial as any other status symbol in other environments. However, better grades would have helped me out.

Instead I was kind of glam-Goth, but smiled too much and didn't buy into the silly bits of that culture. I was more like Ziggy Stardust with lips and hair colored black. I did smoke, but even that wasn't to be a joiner. I bought into the mystique of how it looked in the classic films of Hitchcock and Welles. I smoked 3 packs-a-day for 8 years! I know. Now I’m kind of a health nut, thank frog!

I've always done everything at my own pace and for my own reasons. I've always just figured it out. But kids now do have such pressure in this electronic age of texting. Growing up is awkward enough without having everything recorded and distributed via text, YouTube and Facebook. :sympathy:
I agree with everything you've said, and I can also relate on many levels. Firstly, I've never understood peer pressure myself. Okay, I can understand it, to a degree, but nobody's tried to pressure me into anything, and in all honesty, if somebody did, I wouldn't listen to them. And I'm not the only one: *many* of my friends don't get pressured into anything, and in general, being at an all-girls highschool for 7+ hours a day, I'm pretty aware of what people get up to, and peer pressure isn't really a big issue. I've always tried to be truthful to myself, even if that means that I act like a "dork" (but I don't really call myself names like that, as I'm not one to draw attention to myself and I'm just... me. c: D'awwwwww....), but I am a total dag, and I'd like to think that others can be themselves around eachother, as opposed to being ashamed of who they are. I say people should just think for themselves, instead of starting pity parties because they got involved with this and that.

Yorick

Reaction score
Anything that wants to kill childhood or take anything childish down a peg to further some cockamamie or dangerous logic, it doesn't matter which side its on, will get no fandom from me. While I would love to say how much these people remind me of bullies I knew, basically they can say anything about anyone, but when someone says something about them, they try to KILL them... I just don't wanna go further on it.
Well said! Agreed!

What people need to realize is these people make money off them. P.T. Barnum and all that. Look at former vice presidential candidate Yzma from Emperor's New Groove. She makes a LOT more money ranting about politics than she would have if she actually had to fix any of it.

We need to know where money goes and where it comes from.
Indeed! We all know of people like this:crazy::scary:

Jim Henson was a person who believed that Television was a powerful medium, and he managed to use his pulpit for good. Look at Fraggle Rock. But I feel these mammoth corporations that tell us what to think (mainly because they can A/ Make money off of it and B/ help elect politicians that give them tax cuts and favors) are absolutely evil, and Jim himself would have disapproved. Especially when they attack something he had a hand in creating for being satirical... could you imagine how they'd react to Dinosaurs (which slyly managed to talk about the truth of war and politics that bitingly)?
Again, 100% agreed! Keep telling it like it is!:wisdom: