Could Sherlock Holmes have been a recurring sketch?

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I'm sure all of us who own the season 1 DVD set are very familiar with Sherlock Holmes and the disappearing clues on Joel Grey's episode where Gorgon Heap eats Piggy as the maid and Baskerville as Watson leaving Rowlf as Holmes to say with no evidence that Gorgon is guilty and nobody to pin the rap on there must have been no murder then the "corpse" sneezes.

I know Rowlf already had a major starring role with Vets' Hospital but does anybody think Rowlf and Baskerville could have reprised their roles in a series of farcical Holmes sketches with different other Muppets acting parts with various hilarious interaction each one opening with Rowlf's same line "Sherlock Holmes here. Watson there." indicating Baskerville.

I actually thought of this myself when I was a kid making the comparison to all the different silly exchanges fights etc. with Kermit in the middle during the panel discussions.
Here Rowlf and Baskerville would have been the center of whatever other muppets were part of the riots. And I also thought just as the eating gag was used on one panel so it would have been in one Holmes sketch.

What comments do any of you have on my thought?

Kaiser Gonzo

Reaction score
i must say i really enjoyed that sherlock holmes sketch it was very spoofy and mad. I think it could have easily been a recurring sketch.

After watching my boxset i am amazed at how much actually changed after series 1.
The panel discussion, the guest talk spot, the opening (which is no way as good as the arches version) i like series 1 its nice and its a good start to a good five seasons of entertainment

lowercasegods

Reaction score
That definitely would have made a wonderful reoccurring sketch. But I'd have wanted them to recast Watson. John Lovelady wasn't a very good puppeteer in my opinion.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
If Sherlock Holmes was a recurring sketch, then baskerville might have become a more major character. I guess John Lovelady would have regularly performed him, but I wonder if he would have been recast afer season 1.

P

Philip Kippel

FYI, Baskerville was moslty performed by Jerry Nelson throughout the show's run.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Philip Kippel said:
FYI, Baskerville was moslty performed by Jerry Nelson throughout the show's run.
Oddly enough, it seems like Jerry Nelson gave baskerville a different voice every time he performed Baskerville.

In Dog Eat Dog, he had more of a southern voice. In May You Always, his voice sounded more classy/ dignified. And when Baskerville auditioned in the Steve Martin episode, his voice sounded like an imitation of Fozzie's voice.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
Philip Kippel said:
Except in the Sherlock skit. That was Lovelady. Even the trivia in the DVD says so. But I don't need pop ups to tell me that. All Lovelady's characters sounded the same.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
When you said you would have wanted Watson re-cast I thought you meant the muppet character used for him. Did you just mean the Muppeteer providing the voice?

lowercasegods

Reaction score
Yes, I would have replaced the puppeteer, John Lovelady. The puppet itself was great and would have made an equally great sidekick for Rowlf.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Perhaps if I write a third outline in the style of season one I should try thinking up a Holmes and Watson sketch of my very own:wink:
That would be fabulous and lots of fun:big_grin: