counting sketch

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Anybody remember that counting sketch,I think from the 80's,where there would be numbers coming out of various places like for example,there would be a cliff and the number 20 would rise up like the sunset?Also the animation was kinda rubbery like.Is that familiar to anyone?

ISNorden

Reaction score
bigjeffy said:
Anybody remember that counting sketch,I think from the 80's,where there would be numbers coming out of various places like for example,there would be a cliff and the number 20 would rise up like the sunset?Also the animation was kinda rubbery like.Is that familiar to anyone?
That was a series of animations which I've heard a few fans call "Rubber Stamp Counting", for the stamps used in some of the pictures. They're pretty common even today, when the episode teaches a number higher than ten; they seem to range from 11-20, judging by the ones I've seen. And yes, the big yellow "20" rising like a sun (as a crowd looks on) sticks out in my memory too.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
ISNorden said:
That was a series of animations which I've heard a few fans call "Rubber Stamp Counting", for the stamps used in some of the pictures. They're pretty common even today, when the episode teaches a number higher than ten; they seem to range from 11-20, judging by the ones I've seen. And yes, the big yellow "20" rising like a sun (as a crowd looks on) sticks out in my memory too.
Oh o.k.,thanks for the clearence ISNorden,and I sure haven't seen those animations in YEARS.Also if anyone remembers,what happens with the other numbers besides the 20 rising like a sun?That's the only one I can remember.

squirrelboy

Reaction score
bigjeffy said:
Oh o.k.,thanks for the clearence ISNorden,and I sure haven't seen those animations in YEARS.Also if anyone remembers,what happens with the other numbers besides the 20 rising like a sun?That's the only one I can remember.
Hello squirrelboy here,

I think I could help you with your question (sort of):

1 - A number "1" comes out of a frying pan held by a fish.
2 - A girl looks down at the ground and the "2" pops up.
3 - A number "3" pops out of a potato chip bag held by a hand.
4 - A dinosaur carries the number "4" to the middle of the screen.
5 - A "5" pops out from a boy's drinking glass.
6 - A person fishing catches the number "6".
7 - A hand draws the number "7" with a pen.
8 - A dog looking at a canvas showing the number "8" in the middle.
9 - A basketball player stays still while the number "9" bounces by (like a basketball).
10 - A woman is having a thought "10", then the number pops.
11 - A robot opens it's mouth and the number "11" comes out.
12 - A cat dancing moves to one side of the screen and shows us the number "12" from behind him.
13 - ???
14 - ???
15 - A jack-o-latern creature opens it's mouth and the number "15" comes out.
16 - A rocket ship zooms by and the number "16" appears from the clouds it leaves behind.
17 - This one shows an old movie screen with the number "17" bouncing inside it.
18 - A man working with a machine shows us the number "18".
19 - ???
20 - The sunset. What a wondeful way to end this segment!

Sorry I don't know them all, but I hope this helps you.
squirrelboy

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
squirrelboy said:
Hello squirrelboy here,

9 - A basketball player stays still while the number "9" bounces by (like a basketball).
12 - A cat dancing moves to one side of the screen and shows us the number "12" from behind him.
13 - ???
14 - ???
16 - A rocket ship zooms by and the number "16" appears from the clouds it leaves behind.
17 - This one shows an old movie screen with the number "17" bouncing inside it.
19 - ???

squirrelboy
Thank you squirrelboy.Oh and BTW,I jut figured out the other numbers that you weren't sure of by user Soul H but still,thanks for the help.:smile:

squirrelboy

Reaction score
Hello squirrelboy again,

I am glad I could be of some assistance.

I didn't mention this before, but I myself have enjoyed the way some of these number sketches are made, like this one. It's actually quite original.

The only other sketch that's really quite neat is the one that goes from 1 - 20 showing the numbers appearing and disappearing out of everday objects: Like stairs, park benches or even from cement.

squirrelboy

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
squirrelboy said:
Hello squirrelboy again,

I am glad I could be of some assistance.

I didn't mention this before, but I myself have enjoyed the way some of these number sketches are made, like this one. It's actually quite original.

The only other sketch that's really quite neat is the one that goes from 1 - 20 showing the numbers appearing and disappearing out of everday objects: Like stairs, park benches or even from cement.

squirrelboy
Yeah,I found that one neat to.Speaking of numbers remember those rap songs that involve number from the 90's?

Xerus

Reaction score
squirrelboy said:
Hello squirrelboy here,

13 - ???
14 - ???
19 - ???

squirrelboy
Here are the answers to the rest of the numbers.

13 - A guy pushes a 13 to the left like it was heavy.

14 - A reporter with a mike was interviewing a 14.

19 - A man in front of a monitor was dialing a 19 onto the screen.

squirrelboy

Reaction score
Hello out there, squirrelboy here:

I just wanted to say "thank you" for helping me remember the rubber stamp 1 - 20 sketch from the begginning to the end. It is really neat what Sesame Street has come up with over the years to help children with thier 123's.

On a side note: I thought for some reason it looked more like a doctor with a stethiscope in his hand, attempting to take the #14's heartbeat, but it is hard to remember exactly.

Off Topic: I was just curious, does anyone know anything about a number sketch with a professor type guy in a lab coat? I saw this sketch once just the other day, it showed this guy appearing out a river with a big "1" in his hand. So far I have only seen that particular sketch a few times, so I don't know how far up it goes exactly.

Anyone else hear of a sketch like this before?

Just wondering,
squirrelboy