Couple of questions for Muppeteers

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
Secret Squirrel said:
Some of the original performers have started to notice back or shoulder problems over time.

Hey Secret Squirrel -

Thanks for your reply -

And this is why I have such respect for Jerry Nelson, Carroll Spinney - the fact that these two artists can keep their hands over their heads for so long - I can't even do it when i try the same movements at home for the same duration of the take.....

It's just simply amazing.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Secret Squirrel,

We know you are regarded here as a contact within the goings-on at Henson and environs, but should we take it from the above reply that you are a puppeteer by occupation?

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Puppetry is NOT easy. It's hard work. You're not just acting anymore, you're acting through your hand! LOL!!

As far as endurance is concerned, while teaching puppetry classes I've told kids to just start putting a sneaker on their hand and holding it over their head for the duration of a commercial. This helps as time progresses. I've also taught them about crossing their fingers so they don't get the flipping-of-the-lid going on, and exercising. Practice makes perfect, and when you DO think you're perfect, you still need more practice! (obviously, there's a TON more to it all than just this).

The Muppeteers DO make it look easy, and that's because they are so talented. If it didn't look easy, they wouldn't be doing their awesome jobs that they do.

David, SS did say he's not a Muppeteer in the title of his above thread; but, that still doesn't mean he's not a PUPpeteer, so...good question.

I'm just thankful SS comes around and shares info with us.

I miss Jerry and Karen, too. They used to show up a long time ago and help with info.

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Of course they make it look easy, 'cause they're all brilliant. But yeah, I once remarked that a massage therapist could make a small fortune just off of working out the kinks in the Muppet performers' shoulders and upper backs.

I recall reading that Louise Gold had all the new puppeteers for Spitting Images lift weights. And I think most of us know about that interview in which Richard Hunt said that he dealt with a sore right arm by going to a basketball court and shooting left-handed baskets. "That gets both arms sore."

But as Jim Henson said when Linda Ronstadt asked him about sore arms, "You get used to it."

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I had a panel discussion this weekend and someone asked about puppetry. I thought about this thread and the last couple of posts. The question was, "How hard is it to do puppetry?" And, without hesitation, I said, "If the members of the audience sees it and thinks it's easy, while still believing in the characters, then you've done your job as a puppeteer. It's a hard performance because you're not just wiggling a doll, you're pushing a performance through your arm and hand to bring life to a pile of fabric. Puppet posture, movements, coordination of their hands with the movement of their heads and mouth synching with the words--it's all hard. Holding your hand above your head all that time is hard and painful, but you do it all because you have a love of the craft. Or, because you're a great performer who doesn't like to be seen!"

The last sentence is almost me. :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah sort of like when Richard Hunt said puppeteers seem to prefer anonymity because "they all had weird childhoods." Lol

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I know Dave Goelz has had shoulder surgery in the past from years of puppeteering. It's very physically demanding and can cause some long term issues...

ShiveringCactus

Reaction score
I remember reading about Steve Whitmire performing Kermit in the Rose Parade and setting the record for the longest continual performance at 2 hours 45 minutes! That must have hurt! :eek:

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
I know Dave Goelz has had shoulder surgery in the past from years of puppeteering. It's very physically demanding and can cause some long term issues...
Ouch...:concern:

It's like I said...a massage therapist could have made a small fortune working on the Muppeteers' shoulders and upper backs alone. In fact, I wonder if the crew ever had a massage therapist on standby on the set?