1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Dark Crystal Collector's Edition DVD Box Set

Discussion in 'Fantasy Worlds' started by Phillip, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Habidabad

Habidabad New Member

I would love it if Trevor Jones were to do a commentary! I still think it's his best soundtrack to date! He's probably still ****** because he lost the rights to release the soundtrack himself! :mad:
  2. Patty

Patty New Member

And how! I think the Dark Crystal score is one of the best fantasy scores ever. I just grabbed Excalibur on DVD, and while its soundtrack is a close second to Dark Crystal, I like it more than Labyrinth.

Frankly, Habidabad, your participation, knowledge, and your collection of stuff would greatly enhance a DVD package. It's too bad that they're just rushing ahead with things and not looking at the obvious.

Granted, DVD extra packages equate to thankless work, apart from reviews. I've done it, and you're lucky if you receive free DVDs.

But you've easily enough material to beef-up a Dark Crystal DVD to resemble the Buckaroo Bonzai DVD ... and that award-winning DVD extras package was originally based on a website. You've the script ... alternate scenes ... stuff from every country. You have stuff that I would absolutely kill to see.
  3. AnthonyF3

AnthonyF3 New Member

New print?

I don't think it'll be a new print. If CTS's previous Box Sets are any indication (and I'm talking specifically about Holy Grail here, as it's the only one I've seen), it'll just be the special edition DVD. The only new stuff will be the non-disc materials.

Anthony F. Strand
  4. Pino

Pino Member

That is just the problem where I made a DVD regio petition ... Philip, could you perhaps give it special attention?
    I hope that more people will sign this petition... And all who read this, please help us let them Muppet/Henson movies come to Europe :flirt:

http://www.petitiononline.com/Pino/petition.html

Thank you for the attention :)
  5. trekkie1701E

trekkie1701E New Member

Awesome news! Another DVD release to add to my "want" list
  6. Patty

Patty New Member

Pino, I think it was announced elsewhere on the board that a Region 2 Dark Crystal was on its way.
  7. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

8. Zack the Dog

Zack the Dog Active Member

I haven't bought any shape or fourm of the Dark Crystal yet, i guess it's best I wait for this one? I hope it contans all the extras the first DC DVD's had.
    I haven't bought any Laberthin DVD yet either.

MFC has been put out on video and DVD a few times now too (all cut) I know they are doing another one along with TCT soon but I think that's only in the UK :sympathy: (for now at least)
  9. Habidabad

Habidabad New Member

MFC? TCT?
  10. Zack the Dog

Zack the Dog Active Member

"MFC? TCT?"

Hello Habidabad, I'm guess your fairly new, welcome to Muppet Central by the way!

Those are abrvations for the Muppet Family Christmas specail and The Christmas Toy. MFC, TCT, get it?

It's just faster to type, like the Muppet Movie would be TMM, The Great Muppet Caper would be TCMC, Muppets from Space would be MFS. See what I mean? It can be kinda confusing at first but it becomes a second language over time. :)

Zack)Rowlf the Dog
  11. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie = IAVMMCM.

It's nearly the same length, and takes the same amount of time to spell out, but it's good to stay canon with the other abbreviations.
  12. Habidabad

Habidabad New Member

Amazon.com and SonyPictures.com finally have listings for the collector's edition box set:

Amazon.com: DVD: Dark Crystal - The Collector's Edition Box Set

Details from Amazon.com:

List Price: $50
    Amazon.com Price: $35
    Encoding: Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only)
    Format: Color, Closed-captioned, Widescreen, Box set
    Rated: PG
    Studio: Columbia Tri-Star
    Release Date: November 25, 2003

Sony Pictures - DVD & Video

Details from SonyPictures.com:

Format: DVD, Color, Closed-captioned
    Rated: PG
    Running Time: 93 Min.
    Senitype®
    Jim Henson's Original Notes

What is a Senitype®, you ask?
    A limited edition image from the motion picture and 35 mm film frame.

We still don't know what else is being released with this box set, but with the price it's probably not much. Most collector's box sets with a Senitype® usually come with a movie poster, lobby cards, and black and white photos.

More expensive box sets sometime come with one or more of the following:
    Extra DVD Features
    Commemorative Booklet
    Soundtrack CD
    Script
    Lithograph
    Certificate of Authenticity

Sometimes autographed editions are released, but these usually range around $150 - 250!

I wouldn't hold my breath!
  13. Habidabad

Habidabad New Member

I knew that they were abbreviations for movies. I just didn't know which ones. Of course, I've heard and seen both those movies, but when it comes to abbreviations those two don't popped out automatically for me! I always call "The Dark Crystal" DC or TDC! :)
  14. Habidabad

Habidabad New Member

Amazon.com has posted the contents of The Dark Crystal - The Collector's Edition Box Set:

New to this edition:
    • Henson storyboards and character drawings
    • Jim Henson's original treatment of the film
    • Commemorative senitype
    • Collector's booklet with original, never-before-seen notes by Jim Henson

All I can say is: YES!!! It's about time!
  15. Habidabad

Habidabad New Member

16. trekkie1701E

trekkie1701E New Member

The cover is a bit drab, IMO. Especially after the awesome cover artwork for Storyteller and the releases for Labyrinth and the Dark Crystal.

Oh well :smirk:
  17. sherlockhemlock

sherlockhemlock New Member

Okay, but at what point does this sort of thing just sorta dickover the fans. I hate when they release better versions of movies after they've released it. Honestly, dvds cost enough as is without having to re-buy the same move over and over. It's crazy to have the dark crystal special edition, then the dark crystal even more special edition. Pretty soon they'll be releasing movies so special that they'll need to be shipped to the store in the small bus! :grouchy:

Perhaps I'll be wrong about this one, I mean, if they do a really special somthing with it, I'll be ok with it I guess.
  18. trekkie1701E

trekkie1701E New Member

Personally, I don't care, as I am trying to complete my Henson DVD collection :)

But as for others, I am purposelly not purchasing Scooby Doo or any of the LOTR films, as I know they'll eventually release a box set of all three movies. Probably an expensive one, too, w/all the extended editions plus some extra goodies. Same w/Star Trek Nemesis. Paramount has slowly been releasing all the films in 2 disc directors editions (They're up to The Final Frontier now); and after getting the original Star Trek 1-9 box set, I will not be burned again. ;)
  19. trekkie1701E

trekkie1701E New Member

Correction: all three LOTR movies and both Scooby Doo films.
  20. Chilly Down

Chilly Down Member

Sci-Fi.com News reported that Warner Bros. has already commissioned a screenwriting team to begin work on a script for a third Scooby movie. I know it seems weird, but I guess they want to get rolling on it pretty quickly if the second one does well.

So even though you accidentally said 3 Scooby movies, you turned out to be right anyway. :D