1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

Dark Crystal novel writing contest

Discussion in 'Fantasy Worlds' started by Drtooth, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Is there an echo in here?

2. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

3. Uwizll

Uwizll Member

I think the picture is official. Ambience Entertainment/Omnilab, who were former sponsors for the PotDC, are cited as the people who posted the picture.

If it indeed is official, I hope it will be released to the public soon. I have never seen it anywhere else.

4. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

Yes they really should release more photos. And where are the "hundreds of puppets" they created?

5. Uwizll

Uwizll Member

6. ZeppoAndFriends

ZeppoAndFriends Well-Known Member

So, right around the time the whole Gelfling race began finding out the Skeksis are evil.

I wasn't wrong about something! YAAAAAAY!

But they didn't say if we're supposed to be writing about the Gathering itself or not.

7. Uwizll

Uwizll Member

It says that in the next few weeks darkcrystal.com should be up and running. I hope that when the online forum/encyclopedia opens up we'll get some more info, plus we can discuss things on the forum.

This sounds incredible. Like Rob Valois said: this is just the beginning of something very exciting!

8. Uwizll

Uwizll Member

True...

Maybe we have to sit and wait patiently for darkcrystal.com to launch, Zeppoandfriends. :/

I still have lots of questions. I've halted anymore outlining until I have more information.

I probably won't even begin writing until October 1st. I just want to make sure I go about this the right way...

9. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

Good news!
    I know this may not affect the new novels but I wondered what is the definitive source now: THE WORLD OF THE DC book or the CREATION MYTHS books?
    I prefer the WORLD OF THE DARK CRYSTAL BOOK. It was made in the same period as the movie, and it does not have Raunip and the other ugly alien creature Frii-Trii (the 3 legged pet).

10. Uwizll

Uwizll Member

Ugh. Raunip. The Jar Jar Binks of Dark Crystal.

I kid, he isn't that bad...
    I just don't like him at all. In the novelization of the DC (and in the movie, I think?) Aughra says that she saw the last Great Conjunction alone.
    (I know that in order to make the Creation Myths story interesting , there had to be more characters, I know. Maybe something interesting happens to Aughra later that will make her lose her memories or something?)

Also, in the movie, you'll notice that Aughra's language is choppy--like she speaks a differently language. In the novelization, Jen assumes that this is because she is not accustomed to the Gelfling language.

One thing I would love explored: if you notice in the film, when Jen is caught by Aughra’s vines, Aughra appears and asks “What do you want of me?” Jen says he’s come for a crystal shard. She gives a few for him to find it.

Later in the film, the Garthim take Aughra to the castle. Once again, Aughra asks “What do you want with me?” She complains that the Skeksis didn’t just ask her for the Gelfling, Jen. I find it fascinating how easy it was for her to throw Jen under the bus.

Aughra seems, to me, a force of perfect neutrality. She doesn’t favor Jen or the Skeksis. She just does what is asked of her.

I know that DC’s theme is the relationship of Light and Dark within all of us. I wonder if Aughra is a being who has no favor for the Light or the Dark. She’s balanced and equal.

Even if this is quality of Aughra can be explained as because she’s a goddess/earthmother of Thra, it would be interesting in future graphic novels/novels/movies for this aspect of Aughra to be explored deeper.

11. Uwizll

Uwizll Member

Anyway, sorry I got off topic. To answer your question: it appears Creation Myths and TOKYOPOP's Legends of the Dark Crystal are both considered DC canon. (Dang.)

No word on World of the Dark Crystal being considered canon, though. I always assumed it was...

12. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

Indeed, she seems neutral. But maybe she is just rude. I think she hates the Skeksis.

13. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

Me too. IMO this is the wrong way...
    Jim Henson was deeply involved with the original Novel (from 1982) and the World of the DC book. So those should be canon!

14. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

The POWER OF THE DARK CRYSTAL script fits also pretty well. No wonder it was written by the original script writer David Odell! (and Annette Duffy).

15. MrBloogarFoobly

MrBloogarFoobly Well-Known Member

"The Gelfling Gathering is a rich period of history..."

Oh yeah? They don't tell us too much about it, do they? I realize we must use our imagination, but a few more guidelines would be useful. The document on the website says little to explain exactly what the Gathering is. I'd assume it's the time when the seven tribes decide to unite against the Skeksis, but I could be wrong.

16. Uwizll

Uwizll Member

I'm hoping that the only reason that they haven't come out and said WotDC is canon is because it's pretty obvious that it is. It's a given. It was released in the 80s -- same as the movie, right? If anything's canon, it's that WotDC.

17. Uwizll

Uwizll Member

From the tidbits of information they've released so far, I'm thinking that they're planning on darkcrystal.com to have more author resource articles. More documents about the Gelfing clans, the Skeksis, the Gelfling Gathering era.

I think they've gone about this all wrong. They kind of jumped the gun, by even announcing the contest right now. When the forum/encyclopedia version of darkcrystal.com was ready -- with all the story information on there and available -- then they should have announced the Contest.

I've put all efforts toward this Contest on hiatus until I know what the crud is going on.

Me when I first heard about the Contest: Oh my gosh, this is awesome. Okay, sounds like they want us to write the 1st book in a YA series about a boy named Rian going on a quest to spread the truth about the Skeksis.

I outlined, even started writing.

Then I changed my mind. Wait, it's supposed to be our own original, standalone story! So I changed the entire plot. Changed Rian for my own original female Gelfling protagonist.

And today, I feel like I have less information than 3 weeks ago. *sigh*

18. Uwizll

Uwizll Member

I feel that she hates the Skeksis too now.

When they first divided, WotDC said that Aughra still cooperated with the Skeksis in scientific studies. Aughra even worked with skekTek on a number of things, it says.

Maybe she was burned, or turned from them when they started murdering Gelflings.

It's just that I really feel that she is a force of neutrality, because if she was the spirit of Thra personified, then when she was released from her bag, she should have come out, vines and rocks a-blazing!

"DIE Skeksis scum!"

NOTE: Thank you for your opinion, Lazlo. I hope you don't feel I'm attacking you. I know its never clear over the Internet, but this is supposed to be the friendly sharing of my perspective of the DC mythos. You're welcome to disagree and ignore it.

I may be wrong -- In fact, I know I am. My opinions are wrong now. Creation Myths has taken Aughra's character away from any neutral ground she may have stood on once, and put her in the Spirit of Thra spotlight.

It's just fun for me to wonder "What if Aughra's character was taken a different way, based on the way she was depicted in the film?"

19. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

Hi, no problem at all. I never felt you were attacking me. Why should I?
    Besides, we all just share our opinions. I may be wrong too.

Fascinating that WotDC said Aughra cooperated with the Skeksis... and later she was burned maybe. Who knows? I think she is this rude person because she was alone all these hundreds of years. So when the first visitor comes (Jen) she seems very unpleasant. But later in the movie she turns out to be quite sympathetic.

20. MrBloogarFoobly

MrBloogarFoobly Well-Known Member

I think she's just the living embodiment of mother nature. Equally cold and cruel and sheltering and caring all at once.