Did anybody miss out because FR was on cable in the 80's?

Reaction score
It was my ritual every Sunday night as a kid to watch Fraggle Rock at 7 and then (for any fellow Canadians) the Beachcombers at 7:30 on cbc ... it was kind of symbolic as an end of a weekend type thing ...

I cant believe that it was on a pay channel in other parts of the world when it first came out, thats terrible man ...

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
Originally posted by Beaker
wow, I guess the show with the message to change the world was only really effective in Canada.
It sure does seem that way (at least statistically). I think, however, that it still reached many kids that grew up in the 80's in the U.S. Many conversations in high school about shows we watched as kids would inevitably end up with Fraggle Rock being mentioned.

Either way, it was and still is one of the best shows ever created (in my opinion), no matter what country it aired in.

- Billy :cool:

beaker

Reaction score
>>>I cant believe that it was on a pay channel in other parts of the world when it first came out, thats terrible man ...<<<

Oh man, I still have resentments...in the mid to late 80's most of my fr fix was from the cartoon or those great books. I twasnt even until the late 90's with tape trades that I was able to see a lot of the episodes.

>>>Either way, it was and still is one of the best shows ever created (in my opinion), no matter what country it aired in<<<

true. its just one can imagine how many people it would have reached had it been on regular tv.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I was somewhat Fraggle-less too. I'd catch eps in hotel room televisions on vacations (my family took quite a few) and when I would visit my grandparents. I probably caught about 20 or so shows - not including the last one. :frown: It seems that I would see the same ones over again too. I carried my Fraggle lunchbox with pride and still display it on my shelf. I told Karen about my missing out on many of the shows for that very reason and it seems to be that way with many people. I also think Fraggle Rock was one of thos shows that inspired people to get cable! It has been said that the show could never be made these days because of cost (sets etc) - and HBO would want a huge cut. They actually owned re-run rights for a short window, but no ownwership of the actual show whatsoever. I never realized that. It would never happen these days. I hope we see the Fraggles again - there really is more to explore.

Jackie

Reaction score
I saw every single episode of Fraggle Rock as a kid, and I remember them all. That show stayed with me forever. I can't wait until one day the DVD's come out, or I at least get them all on video in their original HBO format!

beaker

Reaction score
>>>I saw every single episode of Fraggle Rock as a kid, and I remember them all. That show stayed with me forever. I can't wait until one day the DVD's come out, or I at least get them all on video in their original HBO format!<<<<

lucky! all i had was the fr cartoon. But hey, if you have a region free player ya can always import the upcoming french fr dvds!

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
Hey, Beaker, what episodes of Fraggle Rock do you have on tape?

Jackie

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
>>>I saw every single episode of Fraggle Rock as a kid, and I remember them all. That show stayed with me forever. I can't wait until one day the DVD's come out, or I at least get them all on video in their original HBO format!<<<<

lucky! all i had was the fr cartoon. But hey, if you have a region free player ya can always import the upcoming french fr dvds!
I want the English ones!

beaker

Reaction score
>>>Hey, Beaker, what episodes of Fraggle Rock do you have on tape?<<<

just the 1993 Disney releases and I think change of address and 30 minute work week from a trade. Im just waiting for the French FR dvds!

Jackie

Reaction score
I have a little over half of the episodes on tape. Some of them are edited though. I really need the DVD's and hope that one day they become a reality. Warrick's Petition is doing great! I hope it helps!