Did Spam sue the Muppets?

Beauregard

Reaction score
Is it true that the makes of the food stuff Spam sued the Muppet's after they had named the ugly high preist of the bores Spa'am?

I found this on IMDB:

Hormel Foods Corporation, makers of Spam, sued the film production company for making the name of the ugly villain "Spa'am". Their suit was defeated on September 22, 1995.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Well, imdb.com isn't always correct, but I guess that's a possibility. They had to have gotten that idea somewhere.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, this is true. It was a major story in the second half of 1995 before MTI debuted in February 1996. By the amount of media coverage, you would've thought the character had a much bigger role in the film.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Weird.

I really don't get what the big deal is. It isn't like the guy's name was "Hormel Spam." His name was "SPA'am. High priest of the boars."

What would've been the big deal? So the guy's named after a disgusting meat substitute. So?

Ah, well.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Scooter,

They had to change it to Spa'am.

It was originally Spam.

see ya

Beauregard

Reaction score
Well I can't believe it!!! Why would they do something like that? I mean why bohter? Yes, there are some things one should sue for, like say if someone published a full frontal photo of you in a newspaper, but having a MUPPET chracter named Spa'am?

I guess I shall have to look it up in the MC archives later.

WiGgY

Reaction score
Warrick, are you sure the name was changed? I'm pretty sure it was always Spa'am and then the spam people sued for that. If the law suit occured in 1995 just before the movie came out, then I doubt there was time to do such a change. Also, I think part of the reason the case was thrown out, which I think it was, was because Spa'am is not trademark or copywritted or whatever you call it.

Clean Gultch

Reaction score
What is with peoples hatred of spam? i love the stuff. its not fake meat. its like an egg and ham mix thingy. i personally think its good, especially with macoroni and cheese

Beakie

Reaction score
I like Spam too, but everyone I know hates it. I like it with macaroni and cheese too :zany: I think it tastes like regular ham, just more salty..