Disney Channel Upfront 2013

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ya know, both Nick and CN have sister channels dedicated mostly to their classic original programming, why can't Disney also have a channel that shows DUCKTALES, BONKERS, TAIL SPIN, QUACK ATTACK!, MICKEY MOUSE WORKS, RECESS, LLOYD IN SPACE, among others?

Drtooth

Reaction score
They blew that chance when they made a 24/hr preschool network. And oddly enough, it did have some of those old cartoons (only ones based off of movies and only of a quarter of the episodes).

As long as nothing happens to my precious Gravity Falls, I'm fine. Lot of great Marvel stuff to look forward to, and at least 3 more cartoon series. But no word on the big thing that's going to replace Clone Wars and be on Disney.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
To answer Snowth's question... Disney did have a sister network for their classic animated series, it was called Toon Disney. They also added original animated series that unfortunately lasted only one season like Kong and Oban Star Racers, legit Disney animated movies, and classic TDA or One Saturday Morning programs. But they screwed that over converting it into Disney XD what with all their crappy live tween shows, forcing Zack and Cody and Zeke and Luther down the viewer's throats.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Like I said before, they're don't seem to be marketing their tween stuff as aggressively as they have during the Hannah Montana years, which is a very good thing. Only one new DC tweencom and a couple original movies, and that's about it. :smile:

Good to see they haven't killed off Gravity Falls, though its wonky airdates have me worried about its future. I mean, other countries are probably more consistent with its airing schedule, which is probably why I was able to find new episodes uploaded online before their U.S. premiere.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Good to see they haven't killed off Gravity Falls, though its wonky airdates have me worried about its future. I mean, other countries are probably more consistent with its airing schedule, which is probably why I was able to find new episodes uploaded online before their U.S. premiere.
All cable cartoons have been that way, even as far back as the 90s, the UK often got to see the new episodes of these cartoons MONTHS before (and in a lot of cases, up to a year) they would ever see the light of day in the US.

Drtooth

Reaction score
To answer Snowth's question... Disney did have a sister network for their classic animated series, it was called Toon Disney. They also added original animated series that unfortunately lasted only one season like Kong and Oban Star Racers, legit Disney animated movies, and classic TDA or One Saturday Morning programs. But they screwed that over converting it into Disney XD what with all their crappy live tween shows, forcing Zack and Cody and Zeke and Luther down the viewer's throats.
Toon Disney was eventually going to become what it became. They started adding live action programming anyway. Strangely enough, they also started showing Warner Bros. cartoons near the end (the 90's Superman cartoon and Pinky and The Brain). Think about it. Cartoons that should have aired on Cartoon Network that CN didn't want to show ended up on a Disney owned network. Now they're on The Hub. Well, Animaniacs is anyway.

As long as Gravity Falls, Phineas and Ferb, and Marvel shows are still part of the line up, I'm thrilled. I agree... the weird 5 month wait for a new episode (even though that's how it used to be) and the staccato airings ever since have me a bit worried. I really hope they get some merchandising presence somewhere. GF never fails to get me laughing. I'm sooooo glad they're back into TV animation. They were the kings of that. And I can't wait for Craig McCracken's new series.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
It helps that the creators of Phineas and Ferb worked on The Simpsons, Family Guy and together on Rocko. I honestly think that's why Phineas and Ferb doesn't have the same humor as other Disney Shows.

The more left unsaid about Fish Hooks the better, so not all of their animation is great. Is Fish Hooks even in production still?

Drtooth

Reaction score
It helps that the creators of Phineas and Ferb worked on The Simpsons, Family Guy and together on Rocko. I honestly think that's why Phineas and Ferb doesn't have the same humor as other Disney Shows.
And one of the creators of Homestar Runner works on Gravity Falls. Even does voices. They're really getting a lot of cartoon talent for these shows.
Of course, Phineas and Ferb was an old concept (from what I read). Even the name Ferb came from Rocko's Modern Life ("Ferb T'wernt his real name. His real name was Frank. His name was Frank, but we called him Ferb. I'nnat Crazy?.... And I said, 'you idiot! You get outta here an' don't come back UNTIL YOU HAVE THE BEEF JERKY! HAHAHAHA!")

Phineas and Ferb has the best humor of both two shows. Even Family Guy writer/Voice actor John Veiner appears as the voice of Dr. Doof's robot, Norm.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Of course, Phineas and Ferb was an old concept (from what I read). Even the name Ferb came from Rocko's Modern Life ("Ferb T'wernt his real name. His real name was Frank. His name was Frank, but we called him Ferb. I'nnat Crazy?.... And I said, 'you idiot! You get outta here an' don't come back UNTIL YOU HAVE THE BEEF JERKY! HAHAHAHA!")
Heffer's imaginary friend's name was Ferb as well.