Disney greenlights "The Muppet Show" comics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
that guy must have had too much time on his hands to come up with that one :stick_out_tongue:

I see no connection whatsoever between fozzie and drunks. Yes, people laugh at him...actually, no wait, they boo him for being a bad comedian :wink:

EDIT: Oh man, why do I always seem to post first on the next page over? :smirk:

beaker

Reaction score
I personally love the Disney Adventure's Muppet style(including Fozzie), but yeah...Frith's work is just magical. Can't wait to see scans of this new Muppet comic series

(and yeah, aren't short previews usually free, not $5? hmmm)

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I had this Bible teacher once, many years ago in high school that came down pretty hard on the Muppets. He said that the Muppets praised human frailties - Fozzie Bear signified society's laughing at drunk people, Miss Piggy demonstrated rage and gluttony, Gonzo demonstrated support for masochism, the band supported drug abuse and that the show promoted violence in blowing one another up. Needless to say he never said this in front of me or to my class, but I once called him to task on the subject in front of a room full of students. I told him he was projecting his own issues and that he should watch the show again and think tolerance - that it was the lesson I learned from the Muppets and the only thing keeping me friendly to him at that moment. That guy was such a turkey.

Long story short – seeing the lovable bear portrayed as drunk or sleazy has always rubbed me the wrong way. I’m always reminded of Caper when he kept loading sugar in his champagne because he’d rather be drinking ginger ale. :embarrassed:
I've heard people say that the Devil was the first puppeteer (with the snake), and puppetry, therefore, is evil. :rolleyes: Bunch o' balogna there, but some people believe it.

The Muppets have those personality flaws because it's our flaws that make for good comedy. At the same time, as you say, the Muppets teach tolerance, looking past those flaws ultimately. They get agrrevated with each other, but they can still get along.

And, yes, Fozzie looks like a drunk in that picture. I like the style of the Pigs in Space comic, but the one with Fozzie is kinda creepy. It doesn't quite translate well to the Muppets.

Ilikemuppets said:
Super Scooter said:
and Timrek the Gorf... wait, that's a real one.
Now that I would like to see!
Timrek the Gorf is one of the Teppums from The Jim Henson Hour.

Kevin the Frog

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of that Fozzie either, man I thought the Muppets Take Manhattan Super Special comic I have was a little rough (with the blue Rowlf.) But, little things like spelling don't make or break it for me. My big question is, besides us muppet geeks, who the heck is going to buy a Muppet Show comic book? There are so many other great comics out these days, I don't see this lasting much longer than the four issue mini-series, unless they time it right with the new movie, etc. Not trying to be a downer...

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
My big question is, besides us muppet geeks, who the heck is going to buy a Muppet Show comic book? There are so many other great comics out these days, I don't see this lasting much longer than the four issue mini-series, unless they time it right with the new movie, etc. Not trying to be a downer...
Your absolutly right :smirk:

theprawncracker

Reaction score
My big question is, besides us muppet geeks, who the heck is going to buy a Muppet Show comic book? There are so many other great comics out these days, I don't see this lasting much longer than the four issue mini-series, unless they time it right with the new movie, etc. Not trying to be a downer...
I'm afraid I have to respectfully disagree with you there. The Muppet Show has appeal spanning numerous generations and they're steal appealing today. I think a lot of people would be interested in this if it was good, for one thing, and marketed well, for another.

I'm excited about this. Hope it ends up working well.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I swear the guy who runs This site used to draw comics for Muppet Magazine. If any of you posters out there have a copy of the issue with Chore Games, I'm sure he did it.

I have to be in the minority that likes the Disney Adventures guy's work. I mean, i like it a lot better than these Not that they are necisarrily bad, they just suffer from the quality of the printing an paper of comics from those days. However, the artwork in these are amazing. But last time I heard, Marie Severin wasn't doing too well. Is she still working?

I want to see a LOT of different artists here. A lot of different writers too.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I want to see a LOT of different artists here. A lot of different writers too.
I do agree with that. I like a variety of styles. It's just that the Fozzie picture in question is difficult to look at.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Now what would be cool is if they did what they did in the book that comes with the weird tales of the ramones boxset. Have a bunch of comics drawn by differnt people, with a variety of styles used :cool: (one is even in 3D)

Status
Not open for further replies.