1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Disney greenlights "The Muppet Show" comics

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by uppitymuppity, Jul 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. TheJimHensonHour

TheJimHensonHour Active Member

I think the Muppets look fine the only one who looks icky is Kermit which is not a good thing, poor Kerm he just can't catch a break these days.

2. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I have to admit that Rowlf, Janice and Floyd look pretty good here, but I don't really like the pig. Kermit just...man...this first comic is reportedly all about Kermit so it'll be pages of this stuff. I'm not thrilled about my personal fave Scooter in this piece either. It looks like Sweetums is there too, can't judge on that tiny image though. I'm most concerned about what he'll do to Gonzo. Recap of what we've seen from worst-best IMHO:
    • Kermit = F
    • Fozzie = D
    • Scooter = C
    • Piggy = C
    • Rowlf = B
    • Floyd = B
    • Janice = B+

3. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

It's not completely ugly ... Vet's Hospital was better, though.

I think the reason a lot of the art of Kermit I've seen so far stems from this attempt to draw the many expressions of Kermit. You know how Kermit is ... he can't have a skull, as much as his head shape changes from one mood to the next. So, while it wasn't real pretty, I'd hardly say Kermit was the ugliest thing I ever saw (that honor goes to that drunk Fozzie-looking thing mentioned awhile back).

4. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Erm. Um. I--uh...

Yeah. It all looks like something from a Nickelodeon cartoon. Why does everything have to have someone's own 'twist' to it--why does it have to be so far stretched from what they should look like?

I did a Fozzie and Kermit drawing on my deviant art page not so long ago, and while it's in my style it isn't a huge stretch from what the characters look like. With all the photo and video reference that there are for the characters the likeness should be better.

But, the backstage and Vet's Hospital sets look right as drawn here!

5. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

After voicing my criticisms I feel like saying a few of the good things. I agree that the sets, colors and composition look great here. It also appears the writing and themes are very vintage Muppet Show.

I still hope the artist revises Kermit and Fozzie. It's not like they are bit players. They don't all have to be gems (and I can even overlook what appear to be un-Muppety gray-colored rats) if the top billed cast looks better.

This comic originally was to be out this spring, but now has been pushed to next spring. I wonder if they're considering revisions?

6. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Like this old thing from an archived Tough Pigs article? I think this Fozzie just saw the other cartoon drunk Fozzie and is frightened. I don't know which one is scarier?

I've said much about style and character design, but what ultimately seems to be missing is that distinct and effortless Muppet charm. It appears that charm has been replaced with smarm. The Muppets have really attractive designs already.

When creating from a master work an artist should reference the actual source rather than merely what they perceive it to be. A lot gets missed that way. I think there's been too much creative license given here. Somebody needs to rein it in. What I find troubling is that this artist is to also take over writing responsibilities in the future.

I hope they're retooling this a bit. I really do. I am also trying to locate a copy so that I might actually see this work up close.

7. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

The style's okay. I think I kinda like it. But, isn't that Sweetums? Not Fozzie? It's really small on my monitor.

I'll get it. Kermit could use some (alot of?) work, but otherwise... it's... pretty good.

8. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

That appears to be Sweetums. This is the Fozzie. :o He gets worse. .

9. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Oh, right, right, right. I got confused when I didn't notice anyone else post about Sweetums.

Can't say I care for that Fozzie. But, I like the rest of the comic enough to buy it. For the most part, the art is forgivable. I do wish they would stick to the actual design of the characters, though. ;) Kermit and Fozzie... wow. That's kinda rough.

10. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

11. peyjenk

peyjenk New Member

Again I say... Voldemort Bear!

He looks.... sneaky.

12. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

He just wants to play. :crazy: :o

13. Fozzie Bear

Hallelujah! I was having this conversation earlier today with a friend of mine and I said the same thing. With as much as there is out there for reference, this should be easy work for someone.

I think we should all do a comic strip for the heck of it and post it in a new thread. Do something in our own style and the same strip true to the Muppets' design. Not for grading, but for fun.

Should we start a new thread in Fun and Games section?

14. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Redsonga and I have been chatting about some ideas. I thought several different, but none official, Gonzo origin stories would make a nice comic book collection. Kind of like the Joker's ambiguous origins in the Killing Joke. Nobody knows for sure what story is real. That's how I still feel about that fella.

Master works should be directly referenced for future renderings otherwise it becomes like a child’s game of telephone when the result doesn’t resemble the origin. That’s how Gonzo gets a blue nose in print for over twenty years. To be fair it was blue to begin with, I guess.

15. Fozzie Bear

Yeah, but Grover was once green and they don't keep coloring him green (do they?) :)

I think Gonzo's nose needs a special coloring on it and I know the best artist for that job! He's a frog, and he's a boy, and he's 4! Ha ha.

You know, Lucasfilm sometimes picks some artists from their fansites and message boards. Kind of wish that would happen if they do the different art styles kind of publication.

16. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Personally, I do like this guy's style to some extent. The problem is, he made the characters too much his own. And sometimes when you draw licensed characters, or someone else's product long enough, they no longer resemble the character in question.

Sometimes when I draw something I've drawn way too long, I have to pull out the old source and re-train myself to draw something.

I will say, I like how everyone BUT Kermit looks. Only because he has WAY too much of an upper lip. I swear he looks like something I've seen before.

17. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Oh, I like this idea! I'd do it. It'd be neat to get a bunch of people drawing their own "Gonzo origin" comics, or something like that, then have them collected together in one thread. I like that idea a lot! :concern:

So, when do we start? :)

18. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Aw (blushes). Shameless plug for the Gonzo concept I was speaking about. :concern:

I still think the reason Gonzo's nose has always been blue has to do with limited color choices from the 70s and early 80s. Now everything is lasers, specific shades and gradient colors. Disney seems to have phased in a more purplish nose for Gonzo, but it's still blue sometimes. I asked the real Gonzo in person last year, but he was shy about it. It really is so many colors that painting it one flat shade never looks right.

I'm still looking forward to these uploaded comics pages. Are they up yet?

19. Was Once Ernie

Was Once Ernie New Member

Actually, there are two official pantone colors for Gonzo's nose. The one that is essentially blue goes on the "snout" part (the section that actually sticks out from his face) and the other one, which a purplish color, goes everywhere else that is exposed foam (except his lower lip, of course, which is pink). So, yes, you are correct, it is not one flat shade, but two, blended together where they meet.

:p

20. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.