1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Disney greenlights "The Muppet Show" comics

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by uppitymuppity, Jul 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

that guy must have had too much time on his hands to come up with that one :p

I see no connection whatsoever between fozzie and drunks. Yes, people laugh at him...actually, no wait, they boo him for being a bad comedian ;)

EDIT: Oh man, why do I always seem to post first on the next page over? :smirk:

2. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

I personally love the Disney Adventure's Muppet style(including Fozzie), but yeah...Frith's work is just magical. Can't wait to see scans of this new Muppet comic series

(and yeah, aren't short previews usually free, not $5? hmmm)

3. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Now that I would like to see!

4. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

I've heard people say that the Devil was the first puppeteer (with the snake), and puppetry, therefore, is evil. :rolleyes: Bunch o' balogna there, but some people believe it.

The Muppets have those personality flaws because it's our flaws that make for good comedy. At the same time, as you say, the Muppets teach tolerance, looking past those flaws ultimately. They get agrrevated with each other, but they can still get along.

And, yes, Fozzie looks like a drunk in that picture. I like the style of the Pigs in Space comic, but the one with Fozzie is kinda creepy. It doesn't quite translate well to the Muppets.

Timrek the Gorf is one of the Teppums from The Jim Henson Hour.

5. I'm not a big fan of that Fozzie either, man I thought the Muppets Take Manhattan Super Special comic I have was a little rough (with the blue Rowlf.) But, little things like spelling don't make or break it for me. My big question is, besides us muppet geeks, who the heck is going to buy a Muppet Show comic book? There are so many other great comics out these days, I don't see this lasting much longer than the four issue mini-series, unless they time it right with the new movie, etc. Not trying to be a downer...

6. Sgt Floyd

Your absolutly right :smirk:

7. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

I'm afraid I have to respectfully disagree with you there. The Muppet Show has appeal spanning numerous generations and they're steal appealing today. I think a lot of people would be interested in this if it was good, for one thing, and marketed well, for another.

I'm excited about this. Hope it ends up working well.

8. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I swear the guy who runs This site used to draw comics for Muppet Magazine. If any of you posters out there have a copy of the issue with Chore Games, I'm sure he did it.

I have to be in the minority that likes the Disney Adventures guy's work. I mean, i like it a lot better than these Not that they are necisarrily bad, they just suffer from the quality of the printing an paper of comics from those days. However, the artwork in these are amazing. But last time I heard, Marie Severin wasn't doing too well. Is she still working?

I want to see a LOT of different artists here. A lot of different writers too.

9. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

I do agree with that. I like a variety of styles. It's just that the Fozzie picture in question is difficult to look at.

10. Sgt Floyd

Now what would be cool is if they did what they did in the book that comes with the weird tales of the ramones boxset. Have a bunch of comics drawn by differnt people, with a variety of styles used :cool: (one is even in 3D)

11. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

Vic I LOVED that last one with Kermit, Pepe and Chef! cool! :crazy:

12. muppet baby

muppet baby Active Member

i have a question about these new great comics that are going to come out that i will be adding to the ones that i get subcibones to .

Are they always going to be 5 dollars a issue and also how many times a year will they be coming out
    :excited::excited:

i remember a few comics as a kid the grown up muppets and muppet babies comics i read those along with the archie comics I still read archie today keke .

i wish the muppet babies ones had lasted longer i did not get to get many of them as a kid becuse they where so popular in my town at the time that the stores could not keep them in stock :crazy:.

I am geting the older muppet babies issues from e-bey thank goodness .

Did they have any of the adult muppets in comics in the 80s just wondering i can not remmber any .

I can not wait for the ones that are coming out wow

13. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

I have to agree with Kevin here (sorry, Ryan!), but that's why I think an artist like Dave Alvarez should do this, the style alone would interest buyers.

14. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Yeah, I've sen that episode. That's why I would really like to see it.;)

15. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

I think I'm willing to give it a chance to come out and drive it around the block before I bash anything. No need to nay-say until I know for sure.

16. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

Thank you Kevin! I wish everyone here had that attitude. :smirk:

17. Was Once Ernie

Was Once Ernie New Member

Sorry, I was bashing it based on actually SEEING it. I didn't like the artwork in it. Everyone else is entitled to their own opinion when it actually comes out, but I wasn't speculating. I saw it.

I didn't read it, so I'll reserve comment on the writing, however.

:p

18. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

The first issue is a done-deal to me. I'll invest in a copy of this experiment. Maybe in the future they can include different styles from different artists?

19. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

I'm sorry. I guess I just got could in the reviews for it (witch wern't very good, lol) So the should of it kind of freaked me out and turned me going it the opposite direction of it, haha!:p

20. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I don't exactly know what you're looking at. Most of the artwork I've seen for the Muppets really seems to fit. But then again, most of it is done by people like Frith, Marie Severin... people who really know the feel of the characters.

Though it is often we see artists slip into their own style. Like Gilchrist's later muppet strips. They seem to be a lot looser than the earlier ones when he was trying to make them look as much like the puppets as possible.

Personally, I still think they need to get a variety of artists on this project. Not that I don't like the guy's style of art work, but it seems to fit shorts rather than full multipage storylines.

And Was Once Ernie... I wonder if it's possible for you and that other guy to contact them about asking if you can work somewhere in a future issue. I bet you guys would REALLy do a great job there.

It reminds me of a story about the one shot Mighty heroes comic Marvel published... Ralph Bakshi wasn't contacted (he created them for Terrytoons, after all) and didn't know about the project, and would have loved to have been behind it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.