Disney in talks to buy Muppets

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!

I absolutely with every ounce and being of my heart and soul do NOT want Disney to acquire Henson. I do not see anything good coming out of it, regardless what other people say. I do not see anything except the corporate thumb crashing down on the creative heads of JHC and smashing them like little pimples until they pop and that white puss stuff comes flying out and lands on the mirror. This is bad. It is definitely bad.

UNLESS--

Disney does purchase JHC with the intent of letting the JHC, while owned by Disney, maintain creative control over projects and decision making (except for re-selling the JHC to a stupid german company).

sugarbritchez

Reaction score
I think we need to pool our money and buy it! I got $5 anyone else interested..............hehehehehehehehe

:big_grin:

scarecroe

Reaction score
Hey Kev,

You may be right, but assuming you are, Disney is kind of the greater of the evils at this point. Just think of what a lesser company could do to Henson. Oh wait, we've seen it. EM.TV. And even in their reign, they allowed Henson to do some cool stuff. On the other hand, there's no telling what they kept them back from doing either.

JHC will still be JHC. Kermit and Piggy didn't become EM.TV characters three years ago. They remained Henson characters.

It's easy to say that Disney is the "Big Bad" because they're so big and get the most press. We're an easy target because we grew up loving Disney things and then when we became "big kids", we learned that Disney did some yucky business things. That kinda tainted our innocent view of the name.

They're no different than any other studio. They're just the best at what they do.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Hey, sweetpants---no, sugarbritchez...I already tried to get folks to pool the money together. All we could get offered was $622.37, a button, a bent paper clip, belly button lint, and a shoestring.

Croe,
Yeah. Then again, who knows? Maybe Disney might be different with JHC than how it is with other stuff. I just think Disney should focus more on its own characters and not so much other folks' characters. Seems Disney forgot that Mickey Mouse is so much more than a corporate symbol. They have a great line of characters that they just NEVER use!!

Like I said, I'm not against the Disney purchase IF they let JHC be the same under their ownership that they always have been. In reality, I suppose, I am just ready for the whole thing to come to an end.

Also, EM.TV would have been perfect had plans worked out and they stayed out of Formula One!!

Our rainbow is fading, but hopefully it'll be bright again. Sooner than later, I hope.

Kev

sugarbritchez

Reaction score
Originally posted by Fozzie Bear
Hey, sweetpants---no, sugarbritchez...

:cry: Awwwww Fozzie....no one has ever called me that before.........

I kinda like it.............................................................*snickering*

MrsKalabash

Reaction score
Originally posted by Fozzie Bear
This is bad. It is definitely bad.

UNLESS--

Disney does purchase JHC with the intent of letting the JHC, while owned by Disney, maintain creative control over projects and decision making (except for re-selling the JHC to a stupid german company).
Are you sure about that, Fozzie? All sentiment aside, remember that the Henson Company has unfortunately produced a long string of failures of late - "Muppets From Space", "Kermit's Swamp Years", "Muppets Tonight", etc. Whereas Disney, even when they produce turkeys, manages to make them palatable for consumers and usually winds up with a nice juicy profit - from home video, if nothing else. Perhaps Disney's input would not be a bad thing...of course this is conjecture at best at this point...

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by scarecroe
Hey Kev,

You may be right, but assuming you are, Disney is kind of the greater of the evils at this point. Just think of what a lesser company could do to Henson. Oh wait, we've seen it. EM.TV...
They're no different than any other studio. They're just the best at what they do.
Couldn't say it better myself. I am not elated at the prospect of Disney owning Henson. To be honest, I didn't much like the idea when Jim Henson was behind it. But it is clear that Henson is a creative company and not one with a savvy marketing department. They need someone else to do that and the Mouse is the best in the biz. Sure, their fingerprints would be all over the projects, but Muppet projects haven't been that good for a while so let the Disney people try to work some magic. I'm sure they'd get some good writers in to pen some songs. I just hope it doesn't harm the Fox deal.

JamieDenny

Reaction score
For Warrick

Warrick,
I have conversed with people who listen to Eminem, so talking to a guy who talks to potatos is not that odd:smile:
Jamie

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I just don't think Disney is the best answer for JHC--unless they give them creative freedom. But, it seems to me that Disney has always suppressed creative freedom, even when it came down to the Disney Stores they let us for a while set up the sales walls etc, and then they just stopped that. Nowadays, shopping at the Disney Stores is like going to Walmart, and what was once a special place to shop is no more. They have also done nothing great in the name of animation (just my opinion) by throwing sequels direct to video.

I do have a lot of complaints against KSY, though.

I happened to like MFS and MT.

Kev le FOZ

JamieDenny

Reaction score
For Froggie Jamie

Jamie,
You make a very good point about Time Warner AOL or whatever it is they are calling themselves these days.
My problem with disney is not the fact that they are going to do stuff with the Muppets, it's what will they do with the Muppets.
As i have said in a recentish post If Disney do get their hands on the 'boggly eyed Puppets acting insanely' *Gotta love laywerspeak* and don't turn them into unspeakably moronic kiddie fare then they have my blessing.
But in another recentish post i also stated that had the Muppets been under Dis control, no way would they have got away with half the script, now I know we varying ranges of approval on the movie but it was an important step forward, there were bits I was uncomfortable with but overalll i liked it.
Now picture the same script only with the Mousesx2 Ducksx2 Goofy and Pluto, anyone who had handed that script into Disney would have been summarily sacked IMHO.
In conclusion apart from having my own opinions abut Dis, i will reserve my feelings on what they do to the Muppets till i see it....but i have strong misgivings...If only Jim had gone to a hospital a few days earlier
:cry:
Other Jamie