1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Do you want a Palisades Muppet Babies Playset?

Discussion in 'Action Figures' started by petrieboy, Jan 17, 2003.

1. petrieboy

petrieboy Member

Does anyone want a Muppet Babies Playset of their room with the cribs and slide and everything, one that comes with all the babies, from "Muppets Take Manhattan"
    But then, would you include Nanny's lower half, since that is from the cartoon and not the film?

2. WiGgY

WiGgY New Member

I think if the muppet line goes a little longer it would be cool to have a Muppet babies set. I don't know if it could come with all the muppet babies though. I do like the idea of having nanny's lower half lol. Maybe it could come with 2 or 3 muppet babies since they are small. If Muppet Babies were still played on Nickelodean it would be an even better idea. Too bad all the muppet stuff seems to have moved only to odessy.

3. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I'm not sure if the cartoon show is covered by the contract, but the film characters are. That means 6 potential babies and the set, but no Nanny if they decide to do it. I could be wrong about the licensing, but I remember that Henson was pretty strict about it before Palisades acquired the film rights. The puppet versions will make a better sculpt anyway. There have been many baby figures made already so it's not high on my list, but I know it would be on others.

4. Luke

Luke Active Member

Yup, i think Jamies right about the licensing - thats what i remember too. I think a Muppet Babies playset would be a huge mistake - sure it'd be popular with a small group of Muppet fans but it'd probably flop in the stores. Same thing with the Koozebane if that was a playset, and maybe Bear On Patrol. There are plenty better things to do that might have mainstream appeal - backstage, theatre, Vets hospital, maybe even things like EM Bus and Happiness Hotel. They don't really have that many spots left to fill if the line ends when the license runs out in 05 !

A Muppet Babies PVC Set - that might not be bad, although i still would think fans of the show have already seen enough of them already - sure Palisades could do them better and they'd be movie versions but not sure if you could get enough people to part with $20 for a set.

5. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I would think there would be an issue with Muppet Babies articulated toys since the age groupe would be 5 and up. I can see some safety concerns. Maybe I'm totally off, but that's the same issue I would have with Sesame figures with a 5 and up age limit. I think Palisades would do a spectacular job but I agree with Luke that a playset would be too much of a gamble. I think an older crowd (of non fans) would be turned off and the under 5 crowd would be shut out. Maybe a facade could come packed in with each figure - like a part of the nursery that could stand alone, but also could link to another part packed in with another figure. It fills the box and gives incentive for fans to buy them all.

6. MuppetQuilter

MuppetQuilter Member

There are so many other options for playsets and figures-- I'd much rather see The Happiness Hotel or a Pepe and Rizzo jacuzzi set, or backstage, or a dressing room, or Pop's diner, or the swamp.....

Muppet Babies are really, really low on my figure wish list. I think Luke and Jamie are right-- would not be great from a retail perspective and could have safety issues.

7. Zack the Dog

Zack the Dog Active Member

you mean pete's diner right;-) Yes with the cut back of playset i think only the main and best one's should be done.

I think VH should be at the top of the list after PIS.

I wonder about the Happiness Hotel...it would be a full hotel yet just the lobby, who would it come with Pop's? who pop's sell a playset? well yeah he would to make money, but imean ;-) i mean would people buy a playset in with a muppet they most-likey don't remember or have never seen before? maybe Sam the Eagle would work.

the thing is about the great Muppet caper is that it is the least known muppet movie with the public but is one of the most favorite by a lot of the muppet fan's.

I don't know what's wrong with BOP, a police station with open and close jail cell would be neat.

8. Luke

Luke Active Member

I agree it would be a lovely playset - just not so sure people remember 'Bear On Patrol' as much as they do Vets Hospital, Pigs In Space or the Muppet Theatre. As you say with fewer playset spots now available Palisades need to choose the stronger sets that have as much going for them as possible (ie:- broad mainstream appeal, fan favorites, playability, design, memorability) so they can keep up sales and ensure they can continue making more in the future. I'm not totally set against BOP - just not so sure it'd be a great move right now.

Rizzo and Pepe in a Jacuzzi would be cool, as would the Hispaniola, as would the Muppet Boarding House, as would maybe a Muppets Tonight TV studio, as would Pete's Diner (maybe recreating the rats cooking in the kitchen mechanism used by the puppeteers). Afro Kermit would make a great figure, as would MFS Tinfoil Gonzo and the list goes on. There are some really great ideas here - i guess there are just other big and stronger priorities first which might help increase sales and if that happened, anything could be possible.

9. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I actually think a Bear on Patrol set could sell better than a Vet's Hospital set. With a Patrol Fozzie mixed in and some monsters in cages, I see it being much more apepaling on the shelf than a hospital setting. I think both will do well, but I hope Palisades makes something from a film next. Either that or a backstage playset. Pete's diner, though not that interesting, would be a great set for the figures. I think Annika said "Pop's" diner because that's what Jenny called her father in thre movie, "Pop".

10. WiGgY

WiGgY New Member

I think we should only get muppet baby figures if Palisades pays for the license past 2005. if they get it for like another 3 or 4 years, then maybe the muppet baby figures could be the next continuing series. Just like each of the series from 1-3 comes with an electric mayhem figure, maybe the first 6 series after the license is renewed could me muppet baby figures from MTM. I like the idea of having a background come with each figure and then snapping together with the next. The slide and other play room accessories could come with the figure and the background be on the card or something.

I can see it now. Kermit with the rocking horse. Rowld with a white baby piano. Piggy with that slide. Gonzo with the rings. Fozzie with his bear and half a crib. Scooter with the other half of the crib. The crib would be cut so that it would be more to scale yet still fit. I think it would be a preety good line and not waste one of those vital playset spots. What do you all think about that?

11. MuppetQuilter

MuppetQuilter Member

Vet's Hospital is definitely at the top of my playset wish list. I would MUCH prefer VH to BOP.

In terms of mass appeal, I don't see a nursery playset pulling in non-Muppet fan figure collectors. Maybe if Toys R Us put it next to the Barbies, but not next to the Simpson figures and Matchbox cars.

Yes, Jamie is right, I said Pop's diner because Jenny calls him Pops in the movie-- so that's how I think of it.

I could see the diner being a really interesting playset. It would need some alterations from the movie set to work as a playset (and not be twice the size of the Chef's kitchen). I would move the kitchen so that it is behind the counter. Just a stove top (sink and fridge if there's room, but they aren't essential). Then you get the counter (with swivel stools) and one or two booths. Give it a real 50s diner feel. Burgers and fries in baskets, a shake with two straws (Piggy will insist on it so she can try and force Kermit into a romantic dinner). Definitely a jukebox. And the essential rats. I could see non-Muppet fans wanting a 50s-esque diner for use with other figures. It's pretty classically American. Don't know how well it would do overseas, but that is really a secondary market for Palisades.

This is all just spec anyway-- the kitchen and PIS playsets have to do a lot better than the lab and EM stage if we're going to have a chance at any of this.

12. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I really thgink they will. And I love the diner idea. I was wondering how to get the kitchen into the diner and that is a great idea. Just a bit of a stovetop behind the counter so we assume the rest of the kithcen is in the back.

13. WiGgY

WiGgY New Member

I don't know about a Pete's diner set. There are so many other sets to do. Pete's doesn't really have any appeal to me at all. Neither does a Happiness hotel lobby. These sets would run the risk of being too non muppet like and out of place. A hot air balloon set from TGMC would probably sell better because it would have more bright color and play ability. Just Half a balloon for size sake and a reporter Gonzo. I had the idea of a reporter Fozzie hat to come with it but then someone said some hats only go on upside down. Maybe just a tiny press card the snuggly fits in his already existing hat.

14. Zack the Dog

I though Jenny Called her father Pop because he was her pop in the movie;-)

and about the pete's diner kitchen, just use the chef's kitchen:)

zack

15. Bean Bunny

Bean Bunny New Member

Luke

Luke, I am going to have disagree. Right now the 80's are big in the entertainment industry especially comics and toys with He-Man and Trasnformers. The Muppet Babies were such a big part of that decade that even non-Muppet fan would be interested in them. You would be surprised how big of a fan base that Muppet Babies have.

16. MuppetQuilter

MuppetQuilter Member

I disagree. While that is true for a certain age group, there are many Muppet fans who loved the Muppets before Muppet Babies and were too old for the cartoon in the 80s. Most of us who were in high school and college (and beyond) in the 80s don't have any real fondness for Muppet Babies, particularly for the cartoon.

What the Muppet figure line *needs* is to catch on with non-Muppet fans. It needs to appeal to action figure fans who aren't necessarily all that big on the Muppets. I don't think that demographic is going to stand on line for Muppet Babies.

17. WiGgY

WiGgY New Member

I disagree again. I think there are people that grew up watching muppet babies and would like to see some figures. I grew up watching the muppet babies and I'm sure there are others who have as well. I'd buy a figure per series. I wouldn't like to a whole series of just muppet babies though. One per series after the licnese is renewed is all I would need. I think one thing that would help the muppet baby figures sell is that all the muppet babies are main characters. Kermit, Fozzie, Piggy, Gonzo, Rowlf, and Scooter (ok he's not a real main character but I have an idea for that). To sell more of scooter, there could be a two part semi large accessory. Half in one figure and half in the other. And if palisades gets the license for the cartoon then we could get a baby Animal. If these particular figures sell well then maybe a small playset could be sold.

18. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I can see both sides of this, but the projected action figure market isn't really a Muppet Babies one, but they are still popular. I just don't think a quality figure would matter much to the majority of Muppet Babies collectors.

I also have a personal note about it - I never really liked the show. I've already discussed at length why, but I also didn't like how they saturated the Muppet market that resulted in nearly all of the Muppet merchandise being taken over by the Muppet Babies. No, it's not the Babies fault, but I just think there' s been a steady stream of that stuff through the years and this is the real, classic Muppets chance to shine. I'd certainly buy the babies (only ones made by Palisades) but they are very low priority.

I must say that I am surprised to see how many Muppet fans like those darn babies. There is definitely a market for them, I just don't think it's an upscale adult action figure line market. PVC figures would do fine for babies fans. However, I know Palisades would do a stellar job.

19. kansasteen14

kansasteen14 New Member

I think just slipping a baby or two into a pvc set would be good to see how popular they are. I think the next playsets we need after the next two are(in order):

Happiness Hotel
    Vets Hospital
    The Hispanolia

20. Zack the Dog

Movie playsets

I don't know, i'm not big on some of the movie sets, the movie figures are fine but i'm think about the diner...this is what it would be, tables, chairs, a bar, fozzie and miss piggy won't be able to sit...kicthen like setting...already done with the swedish chef.

not to say it would be cool, but how many muppets would be able to fit inside, who would it come with, it would have to be really big, and why spend all that money on a set that isn't the biggest classic thing for the muppets.

The Hispanolia same neat but also it would have to be big and we would only have Sam and who ever came with the ship from MTI If, (if is the magic word) it was the set after PIS. it's would be like if Lew zealand came in place of bunsen and bunsen came in lew zelands place you would have to wait till series three to put Bunsen in the lab with beaker. now to understand that the EM band is not coming to gether in the same set is diffrent, Busnen and beaker are a very close pair like statler and waldorf, you "would" want to have them in the same series.

Over time let MIT chararters come out then maybe after three or four carded figs from MTI are release then make the ship with another MTI character.

I think you have to be careful with Movie sets, the best movie set would be the EM bus. Plus you would want stuff that youcan really do something with or have a really nice display, that's why i think VH and BOP work because yu can make a really nice display and people will know what's going on regardless of if they remember the skit or not.

it's either Muppets sitting in a diner "what's this? the "Muppet Cafe?"

or Fozzie as a police man with the Pig from Pigs in space (link hogthrob)in a police station with beaker locked in the jail cell.
    it seem's like a fun set to me.

Zack)Rowlf the, remember all of are opintions are..opintion's and we really don't know what could happen, some seem a lot more likey then other's but it could just come back and bite you on the butt,Dog.