1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Do you want a Palisades Muppet Babies Playset?

Discussion in 'Action Figures' started by petrieboy, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Zack the Dog

Zack the Dog Active Member

Still if key sets from the Muppet show aren't selling i don't think they would movie's, if it's not going to sell well and there is going to be a cut back in playsets you might as well make what would sell with the fan's and collectors and what they would like more, then just to shove something out because of the license, there are pentley of figures and PVC's that can and will be used for that, i don't even think MCC shouldbe part of the action figure line and just stick with PVC'S for them.

more people would just think of them as chirstmas decorations and maybe just put them up once a year, or just by pass them, besides for fan's and collectors, i could see this with the PVC'S, but that's okay, i don't think a playset for MCC would be useful at all. Penguin's are great, but they can be put out some other way,plus i'm sure people would rather have the penguins nekkid then there MCC outfits :eek: but it's true:D

2. MuppetQuilter

MuppetQuilter Member

It might be fun, and more cost effective, to make the deluxe Muppet boarding house playset for the PVCs.

The playset has to be at least two stories. Personally, I'd like to see a main floor with the living room and kitchen (I think we could drop the dining room and put a table in the kitchen-- yes, I know we have chef's kitchen but you can't have much of a house without a kitchen) than the second floor has the bathroom and at least one bedroom (Gonzo and Rizzo's room). We could have one small attic room on the top of the house (I'm thinking about a sort of Edwardian look with one square-ish room centered on the top of the house). A little dramatic license would allow Palisades to move the lab from the basement to that attic room. On the side, by the living room, we could have the front porch.

The whole thing could even be designed to hang on the wall as a display for the PVCs. We could put Gonzo with Balloons on the top of the attic room, Mahna Mahna and the Snowths could be dancing on the kitchen table.....

The boarding house would have to be awfully large to work for the figures. The scale of the PVCs allows for multiple stories while keeping the overall size down. The PVCs don't have the play value of the articulated figures (I would love to see a boarding house for the figures-- but that's pretty close to a doll house which is expensive to produce-- now, if the line *really* catches on we might be able to get a figure-scale boarding house in snap together levels with each story sold individually). I've always liked the idea of some sort of hangable display for the PVCs.

3. MuppetQuilter

MuppetQuilter Member

As for MCC, I think the Christmas tie-in could work really well. Sure, some people will only put them out one month of the year-- but it opens up an entirely new market. Lots of people will invest in holiday decorations but not in collectible toys. If the MCC stuff could be marketed to that group I think it would do really well. Look at all the Dickensian scene stuff that sells like crazy in the fall. The Muppets are more wimsical than that and because they are plastic they would appeal to people with kids and pets. I can easily imagine MCC villages around trees and on tables....

4. Luke

Luke Active Member

I really like Muppetquilters idea - if the PVC's do sell well and Palisades can get them widely distributed it'd be fantastic to see a display like that and for them to become a very long running series. Even if the outcome doesn't lead to anything quite so major, maybe it'll be possible anyway for Palisades to at least put out some kind of method for display, even if it's just a modular version of the arches made cheaply and sold through the mail or the website.

I also get where Jamie is coming from - Paliasades paid for the movie license so it's pretty much certain that they'll make sure they get some mileage out of it. That said, although i agree that younger people probably remember the Muppets more for later films like MTI, MCC and MFS i'm not so sure that'd make them more likely to buy a Hispaniola or a set of MCC PVC's - it seems like the main market for the line is hardcore collectors and hardcore Muppet fans who will probably have got a grip on the entire Muppet history, people inbetween don't seem to want to pony up the money for a playset but will cough up for a inexpensive figure or two and there's a good mix of both classic Muppet and Muppet Movie stuff coming up. It'll be interesting to see how popular the movie stuff is once it gets into stores.

5. Stryder Wolfe

Stryder Wolfe New Member

playset wise, after chef's kitchen and swine trek, I'd say for sure the backstage muppet theatre and then main stage area of muppet theatre are the best choices. After that, Vet's hospital...personally, those are the only real playsets I think are worthwhile (although I'd buy them all anyway, as we all know I' an addict)....but anyway, yeah, the backstage is the #1 priority to me...

6. Zack the Dog

Still, people don't look for Chirtmas decorations at EB games and such, sure if they were sold at the mall all set up in windows then that may work every well. I just think getting into the whole MCC with the action figures would be a waste. the PVC'S though are great for that i think. it doesn't mean the Movie license has to be part of everything....no one but muppet fan's whould buy a MCC MEGA Bunsen. i'm we are already getting MTI,MFS stuff planed in the action figure line, i'm sure there will be more including TGMC,TMM,TMTM. Gozno with the balloons is from TMM with the PVC, they are already making movie stuff.

I was afraid the movies would take over the reg part of the muppets including key or classic muppets, but after Beau and the newsman still stayed in simmalr spots,it was more conforting. They know what they are doing, i would just really dislike it if reg rowlf and/or reg Sam didn't get in on time because a MCC piggy or MTI Bunsen was made instead...

Fozzie bear from MTI and MCC were basicly the same with the wig on, i also feel Bunsen and Beaker will still a like from both movie, well not really but...i, i don't know what to say now...

7. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Annika-

Wonderful idea! A mini boarding house for the PVC figures. Perfect.

Zach-

The MCC characters aren't dressed up in red and green or Santa costumes so they don't appear that seasonal. A lot of folks liked that movie (though it's not one of my faves) and the costumes and sets from that film are rich and interesting. I could go either way on that, but I think Palisades could do some amazing work on it.

Luke-

You are right. There's a balancing act that Palisades has to walk - between pleasing long-time fans and attracting a new fan base. And they really have to make use of that license. I feel they mainly purchased it so they could make Pepe and a newer version of Rizzo and possibly the bus, so it was mainly a figure thing.

I've always been skeptical of the sets. I always wanted the figures more, but as my collection grows, I want a place to put these guys. A setting rather than a blank shelf or a cardboard background. I guess the sets really are for the hardcore collectors. I really think a backstage should come out asap.

8. Zack the Dog

about the MCC charcters though, they are already being made as PVC'S, at least most of the main one's. of coures the action figures would do more but it's kinda the same thing, look whatthey are doing with the Kermit PVC, he will be in a bathrobe, this being diffrent from all the other Kermit stuff made already.
    not to say a reg Kermit PVC can't come out later on, i mean it's kermit, the world known frog.

9. Luke

Luke Active Member

Yeah i also feel kinda the same way, and i'd think a lot of people who wouldn't usually buy the playsets would buy the Theatre for the reason you stated above - it'd just be the most recognisable centrepiece for the line. I love the Kitchen though and the P.I.S figures look so funky that people will (hopefully) want to buy the Swinetrek. The playsets are definitely moving up a gear - it's just the age old question of a fairly crappy consumer base that's the problem.

10. WiGgY

WiGgY New Member

I'd prefer MTI action figures over MCC action figures anyday. Kids acan play pirate with MTI figures but who wants to play Dickens? MCC figures should only come out as exclusives or main stream if the line goes on for awhile. MCC is covered by the PVC line, which I haven't seen in my local stores yet, and we don't need action figures with the pvc at the same time. The PVC is best used for more animated poses that couldn't be done with figures, and movie stuff like MCC.

11. Zack the Dog

that's my feeling too, MCC is perfect for the PVC'S, whatever they make is great, but you can't make everything

12. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I would like to see a Dickens Gonzo and Rizzo two-pack, but by the time they came out with MCC, most of the other characters will have been covered.

I'd like to see pirate Lew Zeland and Clueless Morgan from MTI too. There will be a lot of room for an interesting mix a year from now. I think it would be better to have 4 characters from all different projects than a wave-by-wave themed series. Gives us the strongest characters and lots of variety. i.e. wave 9 could have MCC Gonzo, MTI Clueless Morgan, TMS Uncle Deadly and MTM Manhattan Melodies Kermit. Just an example - something -like- that. It would just be more fun that way. Something for everyone and I think Palisades will probably do that judging from wave 4.

13. Luke

Luke Active Member

I'd like to see Clueless Morgan, Bobo, Fozzie's Mother, Dr Phil Van Neuter and some recent version of Gonzo be it a Dickens costume or just his regular suit or jumper. I think if any more Kermit's will be made after Reporter Kermit then i'd prefer it to be something extremely different rather than Manhatten Melodies - i really favor something like Afro Kermit. The MTM costumes would just really be repaints of the tuxedo figures they have now which they could do anyway at a convention or something.

14. MuppetQuilter

MuppetQuilter Member

I so want Afro Kermit (though I've been calling that Hollywood Kermit-- you mean TMTM costume where Kermit decides if you can't beat 'em, join 'em and delivers his script to the agent, right Luke?). It's a completely different look and it's fun! How many times have we seen Kermit in gold chains?

I've said this before, but Uncle Deadly still tops my wish list. He is such an interesting Muppet, he'd really stand out in the figure collection.

15. Luke

Luke Active Member

Yup thats the Kermit i want, maybe 'Hollywood Kermit' is a better name for it - he'd be boffo socko good !!! :D

16. petrieboy

petrieboy Member

It is important for Palisades to be careful about being swayed or not being swayed by those who post on this website (including me and this post.) For every person who posts here, there are many internet clueless people, or non computer users, browsing toy stores.
    Frogboy stated that he personally doesn't like the Muppet Babies (so of course he wont want a muppet baby playset.) He also acknowledged that there are many who do like them.
    Are you sure that some of you are not discouraged about this playset because the only muppet baby figures we have seen are from Mc Donald's Happy Meals- those at least are the ones that stick out in my mind. Palisades has shown they are capable of great things, and this is the best and probably only chance to see The Muppet Babies "perfected." The trick in this playset would be to resist making it babyish. This could be a chance for Palisades to have fun- to use the brightest of colors and pastels. I can easily see why many of you are turned off by them from the cartoon show. Fine. It will be a movie version- and the playset itself could come with all of the figures. 2/3 on each side of the playset. That would be a big draw, something that would only be possible with baby versions.
    I, too, like the adult quality of the Muppet Show figures. But I also have great affection for the 80s and Muppets Take Manhattan, and would love to see this playset. I was watching "Vets Hospital" today and saw little that would make for a good playset- it's a patient's bed and gray walls behind it. The average toy store shopper won't be very excited about something that brings about images of illness and death, which is what a hospital does. We're talking playsets here- a baby's playroom is as playable as you can get. But again, to make it as adult as possible, is the key.
    I also disagree about the recent films being the biggest draw for children who will be buying these figures. The Muppets image is the biggest draw, and the important draw, and the most recent films have been flops. I can understand many of you think that Palisades should create these (Sam Arrow, etc) since they forked over money for the rights. But I would rather they chalk it up to a mistake rather than kill the series with characters that won't sell. Character wise, Sam Arrow is the first mistake in my book.
    I think a great route to take is to get all of the funky creatures in as characters- the monsters- Sweetums, and the other ones whose names I don't know... I saw the Madeline Kahn episode of TMS today, where she appears with "Perfectly Horrible Monster" That guy would make a great figure.
    And in my opinion, an adult oriented Muppet Babies Playset would make a great playset.

17. Zack the Dog

I think it's all the same to some people...yes it's all Henson, but they see muppets, weither it's babies or not and they may just think muppet babies. No it's not everyone. but to some it is, I'm not keen on the muppet babies right now...if this line can continue after 2005 then maybe. but if they aren't buying now, i don't think it would change anything.

A vet's set would be cool, it would look nothing like the TMS set, it's a pet's hospital...on top of it all it's a muppet hospital, it could inculed cute muppet like animals like muppy, foo foo, baskerville the hound, gaffer maybe even chickens or penguins and rats! a great way to get the animals people would like out!

doesn't it bring life?babies being born? remember the muppets, people don't think of death when thinking of the muppets, they think of felt coming to life. that isn't what i think of when watching VH on TMS, Jim Henson's intentions didn't bring death with that.

I just wouldn't want a MCC Bunsen thrown into the line like a monkey wrench for a vets set not to come out, it could have lots of neat items as like the chef's kicthen...some items could be used in both sets!

Zack,

18. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

petrieboy

I have to disagree with much of what you said. I think Palisades should consider, what people say on the boards while not letting it dictate their decisions. It's a valuable tool to see what pleases the fans.

A Vet's Hospital set would be a big seller IMHO. Did you see what they did to the kitchen? They don't take the Muppet Show sets literally, the interpret them and make them better - or that is the goal. The hit the wrong mark with Muppet Labs - the set that should have been the biggest seller IMHO. People have responded to the EM set because it's so cool, though was never really in the program. That just goes to show, people like what's interesting. A hospital set with a lot of Palisades' special touches could sell very well. Anyone who knows the Muppet Show knows that sketch.

The Babies, well, I just think you like them and that's cool. I think it could sell okay, but it's like anything else - you distribute a kiddy set, less boys (12-25 - the target market) will buy them. That's the same reason Miss Piggy products are a niche market. Popular, but not as lucrative as the other characters. I don't see how a whole set would be necessary or how figures of the babies would have to be made, but I wouldn't object too much and would buy them all. I think the figures could be popular, but I don't think a set would do the kind of business it would need to be a hit - and they could easily put pieces that snap together with the figures. This would free up a spot for other things and help to fill the box. Just my opinion. If we only have 4 -6 more slots to fill, I hope the hospital, backstage, theater hotel, Hispaniola and/or patrol set are included.

19. Zack the Dog

Think of all the animals, hey maybe kinda combines Rowlf kennle from TMTM into the vet's set with cage's for dogs, i think including other animals like penguins,rats and chickens would be cool.

probaly only a few because of cost but lets say this

Foo Foo: Miss Piggy's Dog.
    Gaffer: if not an idea for the backstage,it would be more proper to
    a penguin
    two small rats
    and a chicken
    maybe non removable dogs/cats in the cages?

20. Stryder Wolfe

Stryder Wolfe New Member

gotta agree with frogboy...especailly about the boards being a valuable tool...it's free market research! gotta like that...I als think that vet's hopsital woul dbe big because it seems to ring a bell with a lot of the people who don't remember much about the muppets...it WAS one of the funniest sketches on the show, after all...

muppet babies would be something I'd want to see if the line got extended maybe....*shrugs* well, I don't have a lot of interst in them, but they'd be ok....

but personally, I'm just worrie that no other playsets will ocme out after PIS....I'm hoping to at least get the backstage out...that's gotta be the highest priority...

oh, and I think Sam arrow is a great choice, because he doesn't look like he HAS to be a pirate..he looks as well like he's dressed in patriotic US civil war type clothes, which suits the character very well, IMO...

Benjamina Gunn, on the other hand, is a bad choice for a character...as would most other MTI figures be, IMO...