Do you want a Palisades Muppet Babies Playset?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Either way, it could be fun. Don't think the diner is on Ken's radar because he hasn't mentioned anything about it and I don't think he liked the film as much as the others.

The Hispaniola doesn't have to come with a team of characters. If it comes out in 2004 or 2005 it will already have Sam and would likely come with some sort of MTI figure. If they also made a Poly/Clueless 2-pack it would take care of the set.

Pigs in Space figures are coming out several months before the set so not everything needs to be out all at once. I don't think Palisades is even interested in making the whole cast of each film. Just a few key characters and sets.

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
The Hispaniola doesn't have to come with a team of characters. If it comes out in 2004 or 2005 it will already have Sam and would likely come with some sort of MTI figure. If they also made a Poly/Clueless 2-pack it would take care of the set.
Oh, I didn't mean a team of MTI figs coming with the set, i ment over time, like how Sam as Mr. Arrow is in one set, Piggy as "Ben" in another. over time in creating a few major and or main or neat idea from MTI then finaly making the Ship with one MTI fig and "maybe" with a small pack in fig. the ship would have to be huge to beging with.

I've stated a million time's I wouldn't want all the figures from every film, it would be a waste. just the key and most fun, I don't even think MCC should be part of the line at all down the road...unless the road is endless...but just part of the PCV line (like they are now)

Pigs in Space figures are coming out several months before the set so not everything needs to be out all at once. I don't think Palisades is even interested in making the whole cast of each film. Just a few key characters and sets.
but it's not the other way around meaning pig in space set first then Link and pork coming out later.

I think at least Kermit and Sam's is ready to go, it seems piggy is on the list then maybe Clueless with polly. Gonzo didn't have the most apealing costume to make as an action figure, if he was made Rizzo should come with.

I don't think people would be big on a fozzie from MTI, people really didn't dig him with that wig as he wore a wig three times in the 90's. he could be a neat figure though, maybe coming with the ship seeing that it was his pa'pa's in the movie. I wouldn't think anymore then this, gozno and rizzo might be too much and i wouldn't think bunsen or beaker would be part of this either.

WiGgY

Reaction score
I think a hispanola would be way too big and is one of those playsets that should only be made if Palisades renews the license. I would like to see it though. The Sam Arrow figures looks so awesome! Just one thing, no keys? Maybe long john stole 'em :big_grin: . The problem with a MTI series is that none of the main characters were muppets! Long John was human and Jim Hawkens was human. The mupets still looked cool and I suppose you could still just play pirate with them, though.

If a hispanola were made it would propably just be the front of the ship. That would be kind of cool because we would get Staler and Waldorf on the front. They probably would move but they wouldn't really need to move. They would be like 2 times bigger than the figures because that's how they were in the movie so right there you have a huge playset. Maybe if they gave ship Statler and Waldorf some articulation and threw in lots of accessories Palisades could get away with not putting in a true figure.

I do not think a Pete's diner should even be planned. It's just got no appeal to the avergae Joe. The Kitchen does, because of the chef and it looks colorful and muppetty and stuff, but the diner is just a regular old diner. Nothing special here at all, and it ust wouldn't sell unless you were a really REALLY hardcore fan.

BOP would sell. Even if you don't know the show, a muppet Police station with a police Fozzie and a carded police Link would sell. Especially if it game with all kinds of Muppet monsters and maybe an Octopus that fits on Fozzie's head! :big_grin: Ok, maybe not that, but lots of great monsters would sell it. (get it? Sell cell? Oh, I'm so funny! :wink: )

I doubt the hotel would sell cause again it's to generic. An electric Mayhem bus would sell if there were a way to make it work right. I still like my balloon idea with a reporter gonzo. I don't think many movie sets would sell, but that depends on how it's down. I think we could probably get away with having a muppet theater and have as a scenary insert, the stage from Manhattan Melodies. I know it wasn't in the muppet theater but I doubt we'll get two theaters! :stick_out_tongue:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
We've discussed the hot air balloon idea several times on the board. My idea on it was for it to come with Reporter Gonzo and his camera. It could have a scale basket and the balloon part would be collapsible like a Chinese lantern (maybe made out of mylar, cloth or some kind of plastic instead of paper). It isn't really a playset though. With this concept it could easily be a pack-in.

I think a diner could sell to the public more than the average fan. And you have to remember that the way it is made can have more to do with the interest than the concept. Everyone wanted Muppet Labs, but many passed when they didn't like how it looked. If a diner is spectacular with lots of cool working parts and extras for fans, then it very well could be popular. The same is true for the Happiness Hotel. There are a lot of fun possibilities: a little elevator for the rats, an upstairs and other things from the film (and Ken's mind) that they can include. Beauregard's cab would be a nice set too. I don't know how much the average joe would go for that.

I agree, the Hispaniola would probably be just a segment of the ship. I'm not even sure if the front with Statler & Waldorf would be visible.

I really think a backstage set should be one of the first things cosidered.

WiGgY

Reaction score
I guess a balloon wouldn't really be a playset unless it had lot's of extra GMC stuff in it, but if it were done like a playset it would sell.

I still don't by into the whole diner thing. I wouldn't buy it and I bought the muppet labs set. There are so many other sets that should come before a Pete's Diner. Back stage should be top on that list. This is my list for playsets I'd like to see before Pete's Diner and afetr PIS:

1. Back stage with working doors and stuff. It should come with Kermits tea cup too. not as an accessorie but as part of that desk thing.

2. Front stage (duh! lol) Hopefully with working lcd foot lights and a closing curtain with various back drops. It should be able to connect to the back stage set on the side, but still be able to act as a separate set.

3. BOP full of monsters in jail cells and wanted posters and all that stuff. Should come with either BOP Fozzie or BOP Link.

4. VH. Not sure what it should come with but it should be cool :big_grin:

I don't know about the rest cause I'm so tired lol :big_grin:

Luke

Reaction score
A bit of smart math tells us there are only 2 (or 3 at the most if they could manage it) playset spots left to fill before the license is up though, they need to find the 2 strongest, mainstream, exciting ideas to keep the playsets sales going until then otherwise it could end a lot sooner than that.

We've got (Q1 2003) Swedish Chef's Kitchen and (Q4 2003) Swinetrek. There's no playset listed for the first quarter of 2004 and that'd be too soon after the Swinetrek so either they can give us two playsets in 2004 (maybe Q2 & Q4) which would probably mean there'd be no playset in the first quarter of 2005 just before the license ended, OR they could just do one playset in the middle of 2004 (say Q3) and then one in the first quarter of 2005. I really doubt they'll renew the license for a full 3 years beyond 2005 - for a start it wouldn't be worth it as they would have already done the major figures and playsets. Maybe if they could renew it on a year by year basis if that were possible though.

So anyway, yeah it's still good to come up with ideas for playsets, but realistically Muppet Babies doesn't have a hope of being on the radar - even if a few nostalgic shoppers bought it an element of Muppet fans (who despise the Muppet Babies *raises hand*) won't and i can't see serious action figure collectors being enthusiastic either. They are the two main groups Palisades aim for and with that in mind, i really don't think Muppet Babies fit in with the rest of the line at all - i couldn't even see people paying $20 for a set of Babies PVC's.

I think the question of movie playsets is an important one. Palisades have the license, and so it's a pretty sure thing they're gonna try and make use of it a lot before the license ends. We already have figures from MTI planned - just not so sure with the slowdown of the playsets they'll be able to fit in a movie one but if they did it might be the Hispaniola (With Captain Kermit) to go with the Sam Arrow and Benjamina figures. Personally i'm not so sure it'd really sell well but it would make a lot of sense. I think the other ones mentioned would be really good but are probably more possible if the license is renewed. The EM Bus would have been great but i think there are a lot of issues with that making it less likely.

For the two almost guaranteed spots left to fill before the end of the current license, i think they should go with 'Backstage With Stage Door Area' and then 'Muppet Theatre'. I think they should both interconnect and the 'Theatre' should be a deluxe playset the same as the Swedish Kitchen just costing $30 or so. If there really is a chance of one more playset being fitted in between Swinetrek and 'Backstage' i'd think the strongest one to do would be 'Vets Hospital' but if they do have sculpting done for 'Bear On Patrol' or ideas for 'Hispaniola' because of the MTI figures then maybe we'd see either of them instead. As i've said before i favor 'Vets Hospital' over 'Bear On Patrol' because i think it is much more mainstream and memorable - and would lead to some very funky figures.

I really wouldn't like the line to (possibly) end without doing the Theatre, and i think the way to make it large like everybody wants is to have it connect to a backstage playset released earlier. Especially with the poor playset sales figures it'd probably be a major mistake for them to just put out an $80 Theatre set in one go - much better to spread it out in cheaper parts. I think the backstage playset (as mentioned) should also lead to an outside stage door area tacked onto the back. There were some great pictures i sent Ken (although he already had some of them) of the Theatre stage door from one of the Muppet annuals and it was really cool - trashcan, muppet monster hanging off the streetlamp, billboards advertising the show. If you were to do that as part of a backstage area and then the main Theatre stage and Statler & Waldorfs box connected on you'd have more or less an entire Muppet Theatre. You'd be able to create 'Muppet Shows' on the stage, then walk backstage into that area, then walk out the stage door to a Muppety outside area. I think it'd be really cool.

Anyway, if Palisades only had two or three more spots left to fill for Playsets, which would everybody else choose ?

WiGgY

Reaction score
wow I didn't realize there was such little time left. If there were only two guarenteed playsets left, they should be Back stage and theater with the connecting idea. Also, if Staler and Waldorf come with the balcony and seats, it should snap into the theater wall. A modular playset would reduce cost and add incentive to get the next part. It's the best idea just incase the action figure line ends. Are you reading this Ken? :stick_out_tongue:

ResidentLilly

Reaction score
Yes I am. It's an interesting debate.

Our license lasts through 05 though I believe. SO there are three years left in the license...two years unplanned as 03 is all wrapped up as far as line plan. But unless sales pick up on the two playsets in 03 I am really not sure how likely any would be beyond that. They cost a heck of a lot to tool and sculpt, but the Kitchen should start giving an indicator about Playset futures. Playsets have always been a harder sell than a smaller figure SKU...so it'll have to be wait and see.

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
wow I didn't realize there was such little time left.
yes, i know, there will be pently more figures though then the 2-3 playsets.

My Choice's are VH, you'd get to put out another Jancie figure when there are really only two female's in this line,and then Camilla is a female side kick, Miss Piggy would be featured again, and then Rowlf as Dr. Bob with this playset full of movable items just like the kicthen.

Then i'd go with the backstage and a smaller muppet theather that connects to it.

I just think movie sets would leave an empty feeling if certain characters or playsets more important were not relased.

I love the EM bus idea, but it seems complicated to make, how the heck would reg piggy and fozzie sit down? yet alone the EM memembers and how would Dr.Teeth drive with his hands that far apart?;-)

Zack,

WiGgY

Reaction score
Originally posted by ResidentLilly
Yes I am. It's an interesting debate.

Our license lasts through 05 though I believe. SO there are three years left in the license...two years unplanned as 03 is all wrapped up as far as line plan. But unless sales pick up on the two playsets in 03 I am really not sure how likely any would be beyond that. They cost a heck of a lot to tool and sculpt, but the Kitchen should start giving an indicator about Playset futures. Playsets have always been a harder sell than a smaller figure SKU...so it'll have to be wait and see.
First, congradulations on post number 1000, not sure why. 1000 just seems like a big number is all :big_grin:

Second, How has the Electric Mayhem set been selling, and what do you predict for the Chef Kitchen?

Third, do you have plans on getting the license extended for another year or longer? I know there will be many more figures released between now and the end of the license, but I'd hate to see the line end.