1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Help Muppet Central Radio
    We need your help to continue Muppet Central Radio. Show your support and listen regularly and often via Radionomy's website, official apps and the WinAmp Media Player. Learn More

3. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Drusilla

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Alpha Centauri, May 26, 2009.

1. Alpha Centauri

Alpha Centauri Well-Known Member

Ok this is my first Muppet fanfic :o
    I'd like to give special thanks to RedPiggy my lovely beta reader.

Chapter one.
    A storm was raging the night Gideon Ragondin du Maine died in this home on Lighthouse Island. With him that night, was his doctor, his childhood friend Miss Piggy Lee, and his daughter Drusilla.

Just before Gideon passed away he whispered one word to Miss Piggy in a ragged breath, “Listen.”

The Muppet boardinghouse was at its usual chaos during breakfast time. Kermit seemed to be unaware of all the commotion around him, his eyes on his cell phone. Piggy had gone to visit a sick friend a little over two months ago. Up until a few weeks ago she had called him everyday then she started calling him once a week, and then she stopped calling him altogether.

He was worried it wasn’t like Piggy not to call him.
    “You could always call her,” Rowlf suggested to him.
    “What?” Kermit asked.
    “Call Piggy, you are worried about her aren’t you?”
    “No, what would make you think that?” he said, not wanting admit that he was worried.
    “The fact that you’re staring at your cell phone,” Rowlf said.
    “I’m just checking to see how much battery I have left.”
    “Sure you are,” Rowlf said shaking his head.

Meanwhile, Piggy sat on the porch of Gideon’s house. It was still hard to believe that Gideon was gone. She was overwhelmed there was so much to do taking care of Drusilla, the funeral, packing up Gideon’s things and closing up the house. She needed Kermit. Picking up her cell phone she called him. The familiar tune of the Muppet show theme echoed from Kermit’s cell phone. Seeing Piggy’s name on the caller ID Kermit quickly answered the phone.
    “Piggy, I was…”
    “Gideon died last night,” Piggy said before he could finish. Her voice sounded so lost and distant.
    “Your friend?” he asked gently.
    “He looked so old, it was like he suddenly got so old over night and then there’s Drusilla.”
    “Who’s Drusilla?”
    “Gideon’s little daughter. The look on her face when it happened, it broke my heart. Kermit, the funeral is going to be the day after tomorrow, do you think you can come.”
    “Of course Piggy, I’ll come right away.”
    “Could you bring Robin with you?”
    “Robin why?”
    “Well it’s for Drusilla really, she’s only six. Her guardian is her uncle Horatio, but he hasn’t been located yet, so I promised Gideon that I wood look after her until Horatio could be found. And I just thought that maybe if she met Robin it might not be so hard on her moving to a new place if she already had a friend who lived here.”
    “Yeah that is a good idea, by the why Piggy what is she?”
    “She’s a little piglet.”
    “Oh, I’ll go talk to Robin and… Piggy… I’m sorry about your friend.”
    “Thank you, I should go check on Drusilla. Kermit I’ll-I’ll see you soon won’t I?”
    “I’m already there. Goodbye Piggy.”
    “Goodbye.”

2. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

VERY good stuff so far! You've already captured my attention! I love how you just thrust these two completely new characters in and we already feel remorse for them--that's talent! Good stuff! I loved Kermit's line, "What is she?" that's very, very Muppety.

This is a good start! I'm sure the rest will be just as good! :D

3. JEANYLASER

JEANYLASER Well-Known Member

yeah me too!

4. AnimatedC9000

AnimatedC9000 Well-Known Member

Wow, interesting story. I loved how you included Lighthouse Island in this. It seems as if we're both diving into JHH on various levels.

I wish you luck with the rest of your story, Alpha. Keep on writing, you're doing a good job.

5. ReneeLouvier

ReneeLouvier Well-Known Member

This seems like a wonderful story. I cannot wait to read more of it.

6. redBoobergurl

redBoobergurl Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I'm interested! Keep it coming!

7. Alpha Centauri

Thank for all the nice things you all said.

8. Alpha Centauri

Chapter two.
    Kermit sighed thinking about Piggy and the little girl piglet that had to be ruff losing a friend and a parent. Making his way to the backyard where Robin was setting up his new camping tent.
    “Uncle Kermit look I set it up all by myself!” Robin said proudly.
    “That’s great Robin,” Kermit told him sitting on the ground beside his nephew. “But listen Robin I have something important to talk to you about,” Kermit told him.
    “What is it?”
    “You know how Miss Piggy went away to visit that sick friend of hers?”
    “Yes.”
    “Well Robin, her friend died.”
    “Oh,” Robin said, sadly looking at the ground for a moment. “She must be very sad, then.”
    “She is Robin, she is. Robin, Piggy’s friend had a daughter she’s six and she’s going to be saying with us. Her name’s Drusilla and Piggy wants to the both of us to come down to meet her.”
    “When?”
    “Right away. We’ll probably be staying there a couple of days.”
    “But Uncle Kermit, tomorrow’s Kimmy’s birthday party!”

Kimmy a little frog girl in Robin’s class and arguably Robin’s first crush, though Robin clamed that they were only friends.
    “I know Robin, but…”
    “But Uncle Kermit, I promised I’d come!”
    Kermit sighed before replying. “I know Robin, but think how’d you feel if it were you. She just lost her father and they can’t find her uncle. She’s alone and she is going to have to leave her home and move here to a house full of strangers.”
    “What about Miss Piggy?”
    Kermit shook his head. “Robin, she’s needs someone her own age, a friend to help her and show her around.”
    “But Kimmy’s party’s going to have ice-cream and cake, and…”
    “Robin, I know all about Kimmy’s birthday party and I’m going to leave it up to you whether to come with me or go to Kimmy’s party, but Robin, I want you to think about one thing that even though Kimmy’s party will be fun Drusilla’s out there and she’s very sad and hurting. Now I’m going go and tell the others what’s happening,” he said getting up and walking about into the house.

Once in the boardinghouse Kermit called a meeting. The look on Kermit’s face and the tone of his voice told the others that he wasn’t in the mood for any of their usual antics so for once, the others didn't have to be screamed at to quiet down. They just took their places and awaited their boss's announcement.
    “What’s up Chief?” Scooter asked.
    “As you all know Piggy’s been away visiting a sick friend,” Kermit said.
    “Yeah and it’s been a nice vacation from Miss Ham Hocks too,” Floyd said.
    Kermit ignored Floyd’s remark and continued. “Unfortunately her friend passed away last night. Now her friend, had a daughter, Drusilla, and she’s going to be staying with us for awhile.”
    “Really?” Pepe said with interest in his voice.
    “She’s six,” Kermit told him sternly. “Before anyone asks she a piglet.”
    “When is she coming?” asked Fozzie.
    “I’m not sure. I’m going to go down there and help Piggy out. Scooter, I need you too…”
    “Already on it boss,” Scooter said holding his PDA. “To get to Lighthouse Island you need to go on an overnight train and a ferry.”
    “Robin might be coming with me, so don’t book the tickets just yet.”

Piggy walked back into the house to the leaving room where she had left Drusilla. She was sitting on the floor, hugging her knees and rocking back and forth.
    “Acute stress reaction” that’s what the doctor had said, meaning that Drusilla was in shock she had been like that since last night. The doctor had given her a sedation to help her sleep. She had woken up in a daze and Piggy had to dress her. Drusilla didn’t eat her breakfast she didn’t feel like eating. She hadn’t spoken a word since her father died.

“I called my friend Kermit,” Piggy began, “And he and his nephew Robin are going to come down for the… uh…I mean to help out. You’ll like Robin. He’s around your age. I’m sure you two will become fast friends.”
    No response.

Across the room an anthropomorphic transparent muppet orange and white Maine Coon cat wearing a maroon long sleeve turtleneck shirt and blue jeans stood against the wall he seemed to be in the same state as Drusilla. He was no longer alive and he knew it he just couldn’t deal with it.

9. Alpha Centauri

Ok since RedPiggy is taking a break from MC I don't have a beta reading so bear with me. Sorry if there are any mistakes

Chapter three.

Robin sat in his tent thinking about what his uncle had said. Then he thought about Kimmy’s party and how much fun it would be. He had been looking forward to gong too Kimmy’s party what did have to look forward too if he went with his uncle?
    ‘Making a new friend,’ a little voice in the back of his mind said
    “But all my old friends will be at Kimmy’s party,” Robin said to himself.
    ‘But she doesn’t have any friends here,’ the little voice said.
    “Yeah that’s true, but I can be her friend after Kimmy’s party.”
    ‘Just think she’ll probably be afraid Sweetums and the rest of the muppet monster when she first sees them. She'll probably cry like you did when you first saw Sweetums.’
    Robin frowned; he didn’t like to think about someone crying, especially girls. Robin sighed going with his uncle would be the right thing to do, but it wouldn’t be the fun thing to do. Getting up he walked into the house in search of his uncle.
    “Does anyone know where Uncle Kermit is?” Robin asked coming into the living room.
    “He’s up in his room packing,” Scooter told him.
    “Thanks,” Robin said going up stairs. “Uncle Kermit?” he said knocking on the doorframe.
    “Yes Robin?”
    “I’ve decided to came with you.”
    “Good Robin, I’m glad. What made you decide to come with me?”
    “It’s the right thing to do. Uncle Kermit, can I go over to Kimmy’s house and give her, her gift?”
    “Sure Robin, have Sweetums walk you over,” Kermit said.
    “Thanks Uncle Kermit!” Robin said running up to his room to get Kimmy’s present.
    “Sweetums, will you walk me over to Kimmy’s house?” Robin asked the hulking ogre. “I have to tell her that I can’t come to her party.”
    “Sure little buddy. Dose this mean you’re going with Kermit to Lighthouse Island?”
    “Yeah,” Robin said little glumly.
    “Hope on,” Sweetums said holding out his hand.
    Once they reach Kimmy’s house Robin asked, “Sweetums, do mind staying here at the end of the walkway while I talk to Kimmy alone? It’s just that I…”
    “I understand Robin, you want a little alone time with your girlfriend,” Sweetums said smiling at the little frog’s embarrassment.
    “W-what?” he cried jumping out of the ogre’s hand. “She’s not my girlfriend! She’s just a friend who happens to be a girl!” he said walking away from Sweetums.
    Reaching Kimmy’s front door he rang the bell. Kimmy’s grandmother answered the door.
    “Hi Mrs. Kikkert, I’m here to tell Kimmy I can’t come to her birthday party tomorrow,” he said.
    “I’ll call her for you,” Mrs. Kikkert said. “Kimmy! Someone’s here to see you!”
    “Coming!” Kimmy called. A few minutes later Kimmy appeared. “Robin, you’re early! My party is tomorrow!” the little girl frog exclaimed.
    “I know,” Robin said. “I can’t come.”
    “B-b-but Robin, you promised!” Kimmy said stating to cry.
    “Oh please don’t cry Kimmy!” Robin said. “I know I promised, but I have to go with my Uncle Kermit to Lighthouse Island.”
    “Why?” Kimmy asked rubbing her eyes.
    “Well it’s kind of hard to explain,” he said. “I’m going there to make a new friend whose father just died and she going to come and live with us for awhile.”
    “So that’s it!” Kimmy said angrily. “You’re going there to get another girlfriend!”
    “Another girlfriend? I don’t have a girlfriend.”
    “Yes you do, me!”
    “You’re not my girlfriend!” Robin yelled.
    “I am too!”
    “You are not!”
    “You better say I am your girlfriend or I’ll never talk to you ever again!”
    “Fine! You’ll never speak to me again then! And here’s your birthday gift,” Robin said roughly handing it to her before hopping of the porch and running to Sweetums. In the background he hear Kimmy begin to cry.

*Not in story* Kikkert is a Dutch surname meaning "frog".

10. Alpha Centauri

So what does everyone think so far?:o

11. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Is good... But we is wanting more. Always wanting more. :insatiable:

12. Alpha Centauri

Again I'm flying solo so please forgive any mistakes.

Chapter four.
    Piggy watched as Drusilla continued to rock back and fourth. ‘She’s been like this for hours,’ Piggy said to herself. ‘I wish I knew how snap her out of it. Maybe getting her out of the house for awhile would help.’
    “Drusilla, dear why don’t we go for a walk? We can go the beach or get some ice-cream?” Piggy said gently lifted her off the floor and unwrap her arms from around her legs. Piggy took Drusilla by the wrist and lead her outside down the stone path to the village. The ghost followed them.
    ‘A fishing village Gideon would of had to live in a fishing village and weird fishing village at that,’ Piggy though as the two of them walked. ‘At least he didn’t live in a framing village.’
    As they walked Drusilla suddenly stopped in front of a fish stand. Staring at the dead fish something began too clicked in her brain.
    “Come on let’s get some ice cream,” Piggy said leading her away.

She Sells Ice Cream By The Seashore Ice Cream Parlor was a familiar haunt of Drusilla’s she had always loved going there and trying the latest flavor. It was such bright and cheery place with a lovely view of the seashore. Not only did they sell homemade ice cream, but also homemade candy, popcorn, caramel and candy apples. It smelled delicious usually, but somehow today too Drusilla it seemed to smell bitter.
    “Hi Drusilla,” the man behind the counter said gently. The nametag on his uniform said Eric. “I hard about your father and I’m so sorry.”
    Drusilla looked down at her feet she didn’t how to respond.
    “I have a new flavor of Ice Cream,” Eric said. “It’s called French Silk. It’s milk chocolate ice cream with dark chocolate chips. It’s on the house.”
    “Huh?” Drusilla said.
    “It’s free,” Eric told her.
    “Oh.”
    “So, what do you say?”
    “No thank you,” she mumbled.
    “Alright later then,” Eric said.
    “Yes,” said Piggy. “We’ll come back later when your appetite comes back.”
    “Good-da…” Eric paused. “Goodbye Drusilla, Miss,” he said nodding to Piggy.

“She-she-she thought we were boyfriend and girlfriend! If the guys in frog scouts hear about this all never live it down and if the girls hear about it oh I don’t even want to think about what they’d do!”
    “But I thought you liked her.”
    “Well I do sort of, but I don’t want to have girlfriend! I’ve seen how Miss Piggy is with Uncle Kermit I don’t want to be hugged, kissed, and told how cute I am by some girl! That’s what mothers, grandmothers, and aunts are for.”
    Sweetums chuckled softly. “Robin, little buddy someday you will.”
    “No, I wont,” Robin said shaking his head. “Not ever.”
    Once they reach the boardinghouse Robin repeated his fight with Kimmy too Kermit.
    “Don’t worry Robin, I’m sure she’ll get over it,” Kermit told him.
    “I don’t care if she gets over it or not,” Robin said. “It’s not like I really like her or anything.”
    Kermit and Sweetums shared a knowing glance.
    “Why don’t you go up stairs and pack,” Kermit said patting on Robin on the head. “By the way I laid out your suit on your bed for to pack as well.”
    “My suit!” Robin cried disgusted. “I hate wearing it do I have to bring it?”
    “Robin, you need to wear at the funeral,” Kermit told him.
    “Couldn’t I wear my frog scout uniform instead?”
    “No Robin, now hurry up and pack.”
    “Yes Uncle Kermit,” Robin said sighing as he went up the stairs to his room. Once in his room he pulled out his little suitcase from under his bed and began to pack. As he was packing Rizzo and Pepe came in his room.
    “Well it looks like you’re getting a girlfriend,” Pepe said.
    “What?” Robin asked wondering if he knew about the fight with Kimmy.
    “Drusilla,” said Rizzo.
    “I don’t understand,” Robin said.
    “Oh come on Robin, Drusilla’s a little girl pig and you’re a little boy frog,” Pepe said.
    “So?” said Robin.
    “Forget it Pepe, he doesn’t get it,” Rizzo said.
    “Get what?” Robin asked. “What does Drusilla have to do with me getting a girlfriend?” then it dawned on him what Rizzo and Pepe were getting at. “Oh no! You don’t think Drusilla’s going to be like Miss Piggy do you?”
    “Well Miss Piggy has spent two months with the little girl things can rub off okay,” Pepe.

13. Alpha Centauri

Please comment :o:o:o

14. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

Well, despite the grammar and spelling issues, let me focus on the positive ...

You have a good sense of characterization. You write Robin very well. He seems to be just right in terms of age and personality.

15. redBoobergurl

redBoobergurl Well-Known Member

I think it's cute, Robin had a very appropriate reaction for his age to the thought of a girl "liking" him. Very cute. More?

16. Alpha Centauri

Sorry about the grammar and spelling I have Dyslexia so sometimes things slip pass me. Anyway I'm glad you both like how I'm portraying Robin. Out of the all Muppets I find Robin very hard to write. I was afraid I was writing him a little OOC. Don't worry redBoobergurl Chapter five is almost done.

17. TogetherAgain

TogetherAgain Well-Known Member

<scurries in>

<ahem> As a HUGE fan of Robin... let me assure you that you've got him nailed. ...I mean, figuratively nailed. If you'd literally nailed him to something, we'd have issues. (...I say this, while in my story he lies unconscious in a hospital bed... hm... double-standard, much? ;)) I LOVE the "girlfriend" issues, and his protest about wearing a suit.

Overall, you're really doing very well! Looking forward to seeing what happens next. More please! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

18. Alpha Centauri

Thanks TogetherAgain,

Chapter five
    ‘Muppet Babies it’s going to be just like Muppet Babies living with Drusilla, Robin thought. ‘Drusilla's probably going to be just like Baby Piggy. As I already didn’t have girl troubles!'

Pepe and Rizzo quietly left Robin’s room snickering.
    “D’at was kind of mean to tease him like d’at," Rizzo said.
    “Si, si, but the look on his face was priceless okay?" Pepe said laughing. It was at that moment that Kermit had just come up the stairs and heard Pepe’s comment.
    “The look on whose face?" Kermit asked him.
    “Uh Kermin! What are you doing here?" Pepe asked.
    If Kermit had eyebrows and was able to arch one of them he would of, but since he didn’t have eyebrows he crossed his arms instead.
    Rizzo sighed, Kermit was going to find out anyway. “We was just teasing Robin about Drusilla," Rizzo said, then he went on to tell Kermit what had been said. Kermit shook his head in disbelief.
    “Not funny guys!" he said. “Piggy and I want Robin and Drusilla to be friends and that’s not going to happen if Robin’s going to be afraid to go near her!" he said before going into Robin’s room. Robin was sitting on his bed imagining how horrible it was going to be living with Drusilla.
    “Robin?" Kermit said tapping him on the shoulder.
    “Ahh!" Robin cried jumping off the bed. “Get away from me! I don’t want to be kissed!"
    “Robin!u201D Kermit said sternly.
    “Oh Uncle Kermit! I thought you were Drusilla for a minute.”
    “Robin, Pepe and Rizzo were just teasing you.”
    “But what if she’s just like Miss Piggy was in Muppet Babies!"
    “Muppet Babies was just a cartoon show. I didn’t meet Miss Piggy and the other until much, much later in life.”
    “But what about the time we spent Christmas at Mrs. Bear’s house and saw that old home movie of you and the other as babies celebrating your first Christmas together?"
    Kermit looked up and started into space for a few seconds before saying “That’s not important right now. What is important is giving people a chance before you meet them.”
    “I guess so," Robin said sounding unsure.
    “Why don’t we call Piggy and ask her what Drusilla’s like and you two can talk on the phone," Kermit said.
    “OK at least she can’t hug and kiss me though the phone," Robin said.
    Kermit scrunched his face, but didn’t say anything.

“Why don’t we set and rest for awhile," Piggy said leading herself and Drusilla to a large rock. Drusilla opted to set on the sand instead. They both sat in silence. Piggy couldn’t help thinking about last night
    “Listen” Gideon had said. ‘What did he mean? Was he trying to tell me something or did he want me to listen to something?" She looked down at Drusilla. The little piglet had found a small piece of driftwood and was drawing a picture in the sand. Suddenly the tune of the ‘Entertainer’ broke the silence. Piggy took her phone, Kermit was calling.
    “Hello Kermit.”
    “Hi Piggy. Robin and I are almost ready to go, but Robin was wondering what Drusilla was like.”
    Piggy almost dropped her phone as Kermit said the last part.
    “Oh Kermit! I forget to tell you when I called earlier. Drusilla has PDD.”
    “OK, what is that?"
    “It stands for Pervasive Developmental Disorder.”
    “Oh," Kermit said for lack of a better word. He wasn’t expecting that. “And that is?"
    Piggy sighed “PDD is a group of disorders that have delays in the development of socialization and communication skills. Gideon says…I mean said, Gideon said she’s more of a prodigious savant because she a prodigy when it comes too art, memory, and math.”
    “OK so is PDD like autism? Can she talk?"
    “It’s sort like autism, but it’s not. She sometimes has trouble using and understanding language and she also has trouble relating to people and things. She can talk though, some days she’s fine and other days…”Piggy trailed off for moment looking down at the little piglet. Drusilla had stopped drawing in the sand and was now laying flat on her stomach looking out at the ocean.
    “Piggy?" Kermit said as he rubbed the back of his head this put a whole new light on the Drusilla situation.
    “She's in her own little world and now with Gideon gone if she goes back into that world she may never want to leave it.”
    “We’ll help her, Piggy all of us will. It’ll be OK Piggy. Everything will be OK.”
    “When will you be leaving?"
    “Soon, I’ll call you when we board the train.”
    “Alright goodbye Kermit.”
    “Bye Piggy.”

Robin knew something had to be wrong by the way his uncle’s face had changed, the tone of his voice.
    “Uncle Kermit?" Robin said once Kermit was off the phone. “Is something wrong?"
    “No," Kermit said slowly. This wasn’t going to be easy. “Robin, do you know what autism is?"
    “Yes, I learned about it in Frog Scouts. Mrs. Appleby’s grandson Willard has autism.”
    “Drusilla has something like autism called PDD. You see she has trouble talking and understanding what people are saying and she might act differently then your friends do.”
    Robin nodded.
    “And that might seem funny…”
    “I wouldn’t make fun her," Robin said understanding what his uncle was trying to say. “Why would I? I never make fun of anyone. I don’t even laugh when Fozzie tells a joke. Gee Uncle Kermit, I may not want her to hug and kiss me, but I’m not going to make fun of her just because she different," the little frog said sounding insulted.
    Kermit sighed Robin was still convinced that Drusilla was going to fall in love with him, but at least he knew better then to make fun of her or anyone else. “Are you all packed yet?"
    “Almost, I still have to pack some toys.”
    “Did you pack your suit?"
    “Yes.”
    “Pajamas?"
    “Yes.
    “Good, come down stairs when you’re ready.”
    “OK, Uncle Kermit."

19. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Nothing like a nice little curveball to throw your audience for a loop. The exchanges are amusing as the story gets developed. I'm interested in that Coon cat fellow though... Hope for more when you can post it.

20. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

heheheh ... yeah, explain away the Muppet Babies home movie problem ... that'll be fun to watch :D

Oh well, this is still developing nicely.