D'Snowth's M*A*S*H Reviews

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Season Three

Episode 69: "Big Mac"

Writers: Laurence Marks
Director: Don Weis
Original Airdate: February 25, 1975

Plot: Word gets out that General Douglas MacArthur will be paying the 4077th a visit because of it's efficiency record, which makes everyone jump with excitment, so everyone starts decorating camp, making it look very patriotic with the colors red, white, and blue, Frank Burns burns "dirty books", Radar fixes up the V.I.P. tent to be fit for a king, while everyone prepares for a special formation for his arrival, complete with a rehearsal with Radar pretending to be MacArthur; finally MacArthur's jeep arrives, but much to the disappointment of everyone, he doesn't even stop, he just simply passes through camp.

Comments:
- Although this is the twenty-first episode of Season Three, it was the thirteenth produced.

- This is another one of Jamie Farr's favorite episodes; in fact, he's been told time and time again that Klinger's scene where General MacArthur spots him dressed as Lady Liberty is considered to be Klinger's greatest moment.

- Speaking of which, this is Klinger's first episode where he's on guard duty.

- In the Mess Tent, a map of the 4077th is displayed; it appears to be of the large set on the FOX Ranch.

- Corporal Klinger's Latest Scheme to Get Out of the Army: Actually showing General MacArthur what a nutcase he is.

- Margaret's father name is revealed in this episode as "Howitzer" Al Houlihan.

- GOOF: Frank Burns claims to be "Assistant Chief Surgeon".

- GOOF: The Showers Tent has the V.I.P. sign on it.

- GOOF: The camera ends up loosing focus as Hawkeye and Trapper walk into the Swamp after taking away the books Frank starts burning.

What's Cut:
- The scene in Henry Blake's office where Henry babbles about how he'll be famous back home has been nicked for time.

- Any scene with Klinger in a bridal outfit has been edited out.

- Captain Spaulding practicing his song for General MacArthur for Henry and Frank has been cut.

- A brief scene where Radar carries a couple of lamps with patriotic shades has been edited out.

- The scene where Henry chews Klinger out for parading around in dresses while MacArthur is coming has been cut.

- The closing sequence where the camp, disappointed at MacArthur's drive through camp, while Captain Spaulding sings another ballad has been cut.

Overall:
A very, very funny episode. I really like it. It gets 7.5 out of 10 stars.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Season Three

Episode 70: "Payday"

Writers: Regier and Markowitz
Director: Hy Averback
Original Airdate: March 4, 1975

Plot: It's payday at the 4077th, and everyone is jumping for joy at receiving their pay, which is currently in the form of red and blue scripps. Hawkeye is appointed pay officer, and hands out pay to those who are standing in line, while Radar delivers pay to those who are too be in line. Meanwhile, Father Mulcahy holds a little rummage sale to raise money for Sister Teresa's orphanage, and a Korean peddler manages to sucker Frank Burns into buying a necklace made of pearls for Margaret.

Comments:
- Although this is the twenty-second episode of Season Three, it was the fifth produced.

- Corporal Klinger's Latest Scheme to Get Out of the Army: Bribing his way out. Klinger would also later try this scheme again in Season Seven, only to learn that bribery is a one-way ticket to Lebenworth.

- GOOF: In this episode, currency is in the form of both red and blue scripps, however later in "Change Day" from Season Six, apparently blue scripps were used all along, but are being replaced with red ones to throw off counterfeiters.

- GOOF: Hawkeye makes mention again in this episode that he comes from Maine, but it's established his hometown is Crabapple Cove, Maine.

- GOOF: Radar orders a Shirley Temple in the Officers' Club, but he was supposed to not be one to drink by now.

What's Cut:
- The scene where Frank Burns demands Klinger change out of his dress and into uniform in order to receive his pay has been cut.

- Three scenes in a row where Radar delivers pay to Henry Blake in O.R., and then to Trapper and the nurses playing poker in the Supply Room, and Hawkeye going ahead and paying Klinger to the protest of Frank have all been cut.

Overall:
I find this to be a rather slow episode, I rarely watch it in reruns, and I rarely watch it on DVD as well. I'll give it 3 out of 10 stars, though.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Season Three

Episode 70: "White Gold"

Writers: Larry Gelbart, Simon Muntner
Director: Hy Averback
Original Airdate: March 11, 1975

Plot: Three "cat burglars" enter camp in the middle of the night, sneaking over to the Supply Room to steal some medical supplies, but most importantly Penicillin, and while two of them manage to escape, the ring leader, who goes by the alias of Corporal Perkins gets held up by Corporal Klinger, on guard duty, and he refuses to divulge any information on why they were stealing Penicillin, or what they need it for. Enter Colonel Flagg, who determines to find out what Perkins is up to, only to set him free, and mess up the tent, and give himself a whack on the head to make it look like there was a scuffle, but it's all part of his plan. Later, the M.P.s grab ahold of Perkins, who actually turns out to be a medic by the name of Johnson with the 415th Infantry, and he was stealing Penicillin from the 4077th for the wounded they deal with, because they don't receive it: they either have to pay for it with their own money and get it from the States, or buy it from the Black Market. Because of this, Henry Blake decides not to press charges against Johnson, and tells him the next time he needs supplies, just ask, and they'll help him out.

Comments:
- Although this is the twenty-third episode of Season Three, it was the nineteenth produced.

- This episode features some rather cheesy, comical background music: something the producers tried to slowly do away with by this time.

- Hawkeye performs an un-necessary Appendectomy on Colonel Flagg to take him out of action for a while, with Trapper willing assisting him; Hawkeye would later do this in Season Seven on a very battle-happy Colonel, only to have B.J. outraged and chewing him out for doing such a thing.

- GOOF: The Officers' Club magically changed into the Supply Room in this episode. The Supply Room is supposed to be just outside the Post-Op Ward door, next to Henry's tent.

- GOOF: Hawkeye askes Perkins who the other two guys were with him, but he how did he know there were two other guys? They were already gone when he stepped outside, and didn't mention anything (yet) about his buddies.

- GOOF: The laugh track is left on during the scene in the O.R. in this episode.

What's Cut:
- Colonel Flagg meeting with Henry in his office, has been nicked for time.

- Colonel Flagg trying to get Hawkeye and Trapper to release Perkins into his custody has been nicked for time.

- The brief scene where Frank wants Margaret to think he's just as manly (if not more than) Colonel Flagg has been cut.

- The brief scene where Hawkeye and Trapper confront Flagg in this Mess Tent has been cut.

- The closing sequence where everyone checks up on Colonel Flagg in Post-Op has been cut.

Overall:
Not another one of your better episodes. I give it 2 out of 10 stars.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Season Three

Episode Number 72: "Abyssinia, Henry!"

Writers: Everett Greenbaum, Jim Fritzell
Director: Larry Gelbart
Original Airdate: March 18, 1975

Episode Overview: After a year of being in command of the 4077th, Lieutenant Colonel Henry Blake learns that he had received all of his service points, and is ordered to ship out for home in three days - this causes all kinds of mixed emotions for everyone in camp: everyone is happy for him because he's going home and won't have to deal with the war anymore, but Hawkeye and Trapper are upset because with him in charge, that means second-in-command, Frank Burns, will take charge, Margaret and Frank are happy because they now feel that the 4077th will be a bit more military and disciplined, and Radar is sad because Henry was like a father to him. Hawkeye, Trapper, and Radar later throw Henry a little going away party in Rosie's Bar, where they all get hungry, and get drunk, and Henry is presented with a going away present: a brand new suit. The next morning, Frank Burns has already gone crazy assuming command by making all personnel fall out to bid farewell to Henry, who instructs Frank to take it easy, and get rid of his whistle. Hawkeye kisses Henry, Trapper complements his suit, Father Mulcahy blesses him, Klinger gives him a picture of himself in a pink evening gown to carry in his wallet, and Henry says goodbye to Margaret by planting a big, wet one on her. Henry's chopper finally arrives, but before he leaves, he stops to see Radar, crying, but saluting him; so Henry puts him at ease and tells him to behave himself "otherwise I'm going to come back here and kick your butt!" Henry gives Radar one last goodbye hug, and is finally on his way home; later that evening, while everyone is in O.R. during a heavy deluge of casualties, Radar breaks the news to everyone: "Lieutenant Colonel Henry Blake's plane was shot down over the Sea of Japan. It spun in. There were no survivors".

Trivia, Goofs, and Other Observations:
- This is not only McLean Stevenson's final episode as the 4077th's commanding officer, Henry Blake, this also ended up being Wayne Rogers's final episode as Trapper John McIntyre. McLean Stevenson had a few reasons for leaving the show: he didn't like the working conditions (especially out on the FOX Ranch where most of the exteriors were filmed), he had issues with his contact with the network, he didn't like working second (third, really) to Alan Alda, and he was offered his own show, while at the same time, he was also serving as guest host for The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. Wayne Rogers left the series because he felt the show had evolved too much towards Hawkeye's life, and that Trapper de-evolved to just being Hawkeye's sidekick, rather than his equal double.

- Producers Larry Gelbart, Gene Reynolds, and Burt Metcalfe literally received HUNDREDS of letters from viewers about how upset they were that Henry Blake got killed, because he pretty much was a member of everyone's TV family. They did, in fact, respond to every single letter that they received and explained that they wanted to make a point - "not a show business, but a real life point" that not everybody got to go home during or after the war, and that some people whom lots of people come to know and love got killed in the line of duty.

- Nobody on the set, except for Alan Alda, knew that the writers were going to kill off Henry Blake at the end of the show, when they finally learned the character's fate in that last scene, everyone's emotional reactions were for real.

- McLean Stevenson DID manage to fight back, however, the very next night, he was on The Carol Burnett Show where he is seen, as Henry Blake, floating down the river in a smoking raft, waving his arms in the air and yelling "I'M OKAY! I'M OKAY!"

- Radar learns Henry's size by tracing him with he was asleep.

- We learn that Frank was in a Stamp Club when he was in high school, he was technically president, but that's only because they needed someone to lick all the stamps and he had the biggest tongue.

- GOOF: This episode is set in the year 1952, but considering the circumstances, it should only be late 1950/early 1951. Also, Henry's son Andy was born towards the end of Season One, but is already five years old in this episode, and takes trombone lessons.

- GOOF: It's revealed in this episode that Radar's initials are O.R., which doesn't make sense, seeing how his last name is O'Reilly, and that his first name is later revealed as Walter.

- GOOF: It's my understanding that the point system was dropped by the time the Korean War began, so technically, Henry may have gotten a discharge, but he wouldn't have gotten one by earning enough service points.

What Syndication Left Out:
- The opening sequence in the O.R. had been knicked for time.

- The scene where Henry and Radar plan exactly when to call Lorraine, considering the time difference has been cut; this makes Radar seem like a pervert in this episode in syndication when he just blurts out to Hawkeye later on about how fantastic her body is, however, in this cut scene, Henry tells Radar all about how fantastic her body is.

- The party scene with Hawkeye, Trapper, Henry, and Radar at Rosie's Bar has been knicked, cutting out the opening part where everyone is telling Henry what a helluva human being he is, and them buying more booze, even though they're all already bombed.

Overall Rating:
Although this is one of my favorite episodes, and Henry was a favorite character of mine, this episode was really, REALLY sad, and Henry's sudden death was a big blow below the belt in my book, so I have to say that this episode only gets 5 out of 10 stars.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Alright, peeps, before I go on with my last review today, I decided that since Season Four of M*A*S*H marked quite a few new changes for the series, that my reviews could use a bit of tweaking, so I'm pleased to announce the following new additions to my reviews...

1. Each episode review will now contain my favorite quote/line from the episode.
2. I'm dropping my star rating system for something a bit more simplistic, yet that gets the point across a series of new icons that really express my overall opinion of the episodes I'm reviewing...

Now then, with that said and done, ready to move on to a better season?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Episode Information
Episode Title: "Welcome to Korea -- Part 1"
Episode Number: 73
Season Number: Four
Original Airdate: September 12, 1975
Production Code: G504
Writers: Everett Greenbaum, Jim Fritzell, Larry Gelbart
Director: Gene Reynolds

Episode Summary
The 4077th is miserable: ever since the death of former Commanding Officer, Lieutenant Colonel Henry Blake, Second-In-Command, Major Frank Burns has been in charge, but nobody would be more miserable than Hawkeye after he returns from three days of R&R in Tokyo with a really bad hangover; things would really get more terrible for him when Radar tells him the news that Trapper had been discharged and is on his way home, without leaving him a note, or waiting around to say goodbye, but when Hawkeye learns that Trapper's plane hasn't left yet, he plans on secretly accompanying Radar on his way to the Kimpo Airbase to try to catch him before his plane leaves, while Radar picks up Trapper's replacement. Hawkeye and Radar arrive at Kimpo, only to find that Hawkeye missed Trapper by ten minutes... however, he does meet his replacement: Captain B.J. Hunnicutt, fresh from residency in the suburb of Mill Valley in San Fransisco, California where he was drafted and sent to Korea, having to leave behind his wife, Peggy, and their recently newborn baby. The three prepare to head home for the 4077th, only to find their jeep has been stolen... so how are they going to get back to camp? Easy! Steal another jeep... namely a general's jeep!

M*O*R*S*E*L*S
* Although this is the first episode of Season Four, it was the fourth one produced.

* This episode was originally broadcasted as a special hour-long season premiere, a new little tradition the series would do for Seasons Four, Five, Six, and Ten. They all, however, were ultimately split into two-parter half-hour episodes in syndication.

* This episode marks the first appearance of the 4077th's newest surgeon, Captain B.J. Hunnicutt, who was called in to replace Trapper John at the 4077th; the actor to play him, Mike Farrell, was so nervous that if it the show were to completely fail after this, it would be all his fault.

* This was also, incidentally, one of Mike Farrell's favorite episodes (along with part two).

* Colonel Potter does not appear in this episode.

* Jamie Farr and William Christopher become regular fixtures on the series when their characters Corporal Klinger and Father Mulcahy are promoted from recurring characters to main characters.

* B.J. Hunnicutt is twenty-eight-years-old, fresh from residency from Stanford University in San Fransisco, California, where he received his medical training.

* Frank has his father's face, and his mother's glands.

* Margaret and Frank both apparently are Republicans.

* Hawkeye invents a new rank for Radar: Corporal Captain.

* Radar's favorite drink is revealed in this episode as being Grape Nehi.

* GOOF: When Radar meets up with Hawkeye in the Showers, his cap keeps changing in between shots.

* GOOF: When Hawkeye and Radar drive off for Kimpo, they are both still completely wet, however, once they're on the road, they're completely dry.

"Deleted" Scenes
* After the episode opens up with the quotes "I will go to Korea" and "A terrible place", syndication cuts straight to Radar blowing Assembly on the bugle for roll-call; this cuts out Frank waking up Radar, who overslept, and then going to pick up Margaret for assembly. This is rather odd, considering that snippets from these scenes would be used for the "previously on M*A*S*H" opening sequence for part two.

* Frank's announcements to the troops have been nicked for time.

* Hawkeye's scene in the Showers has also been nicked for time.

* After Hawkeye and Radar drive out of camp, syndication cuts straight to Radar spotting an M.P. check point ahead on the road; thus cutting out Radar having a blast with Hawkeye's wreckless driving.

* Radar asking Hawkeye if Neuropracia is a real illness has been edited out.

* Hawkeye and Radar telling B.J. about the 4077th over drinks in the Kimpo Officers' Club has been nicked for time, cutting out mostly what Hawkeye says about Frank, Father Mulcahy, the nurses, and telling B.J. he'll be bunking with him.

Favorite Quote
FRANK: (Admiring the photo of General MacArthur on the wall) Do you think it would be alright if I took a pen and wrote in a bold, military hand, "To Frank, with eternal gratitude, Doug"?
MARGARET: I do not!
FRANK: Aw, gee Margaret, ever since I've been Commanding Officer, you never let me do anything!

Overall
Opinion: My favorite season premiere.
Rating: Click here

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Episode Information
Episode Title: "Welcome to Korea -- Part 1"
Episode Number: 73
Production Code: G504

Episode Summary
The 4077th is miserable: ever since the death of former Commanding Officer, Lieutenant Colonel Henry Blake, Second-In-Command, Major Frank Burns has been in charge, but nobody would be more miserable than Hawkeye after he returns from three days of R&R in Tokyo with a really bad hangover; things would really get more terrible for him when Radar tells him the news that Trapper had been discharged and is on his way home, without leaving him a note, or waiting around to say goodbye, but when Hawkeye learns that Trapper's plane hasn't left yet, he plans on secretly accompanying Radar on his way to the Kimpo Airbase to try to catch him before his plane leaves, while Radar picks up Trapper's replacement. Hawkeye and Radar arrive at Kimpo, only to find that Hawkeye missed Trapper by ten minutes... however, he does meet his replacement: Captain B.J. Hunnicutt, fresh from residency in the suburb of Mill Valley in San Fransisco, California where he was drafted and sent to Korea, having to leave behind his wife, Peggy, and their recently newborn baby. The three prepare to head home for the 4077th, only to find their jeep has been stolen... so how are they going to get back to camp? Easy! Steal another jeep... namely a general's jeep!

M*O*R*S*E*L*S
* Although this is the first episode of Season Four, it was the fourth one produced.

* This episode was originally broadcasted as a special hour-long season premiere, a new little tradition the series would do for Seasons Four, Five, Six, and Ten. They all, however, were ultimately split into two-parter half-hour episodes in syndication.

* This episode marks the first appearance of the 4077th's newest surgeon, Captain B.J. Hunnicutt, who was called in to replace Trapper John at the 4077th; the actor to play him, Mike Farrell, was so nervous that if it the show were to completely fail after this, it would be all his fault.

* This was also, incidentally, one of Mike Farrell's favorite episodes (along with part two).

* Colonel Potter does not appear in this episode.

* Jamie Farr and William Christopher become regular fixtures on the series when their characters Corporal Klinger and Father Mulcahy are promoted from recurring characters to main characters.

* B.J. Hunnicutt is twenty-eight-years-old, fresh from residency from Stanford University in San Fransisco, California, where he received his medical training.

* Frank has his father's face, and his mother's glands.

* Margaret and Frank both apparently are Republicans.

* Hawkeye invents a new rank for Radar: Corporal Captain.

* Radar's favorite drink is revealed in this episode as being Grape Nehi.

* GOOF: When Radar meets up with Hawkeye in the Showers, his cap keeps changing in between shots.

* GOOF: When Hawkeye and Radar drive off for Kimpo, they are both still completely wet, however, once they're on the road, they're completely dry.

"Deleted" Scenes
* After the episode opens up with the quotes "I will go to Korea" and "A terrible place", syndication cuts straight to Radar blowing Assembly on the bugle for roll-call; this cuts out Frank waking up Radar, who overslept, and then going to pick up Margaret for assembly. This is rather odd, considering that snippets from these scenes would be used for the "previously on M*A*S*H" opening sequence for part two.

* Frank's announcements to the troops have been nicked for time.

* Hawkeye's scene in the Showers has also been nicked for time.

* After Hawkeye and Radar drive out of camp, syndication cuts straight to Radar spotting an M.P. check point ahead on the road; thus cutting out Radar having a blast with Hawkeye's wreckless driving.

* Radar asking Hawkeye if Neuropracia is a real illness has been edited out.

* Hawkeye and Radar telling B.J. about the 4077th over drinks in the Kimpo Officers' Club has been nicked for time, cutting out mostly what Hawkeye says about Frank, Father Mulcahy, the nurses, and telling B.J. he'll be bunking with him.

Favorite Quote
FRANK: (Admiring the photo of General MacArthur on the wall) Do you think it would be alright if I took a pen and wrote in a bold, military hand, "To Frank, with eternal gratitude, Doug"?
MARGARET: I do not!
FRANK: Aw, gee Margaret, ever since I've been Commanding Officer, you never let me do anything!

Overall
Opinion: My favorite season premiere.
Two M*O*R*S*E*L*S I meant to add that Gary Burghoff had the mole on his forehead removed, and Alan Alda's hair slowly starts to turn gray this season.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Episode Information
Episode Title: "Welcome to Korea -- Part 2"
Episode Number: 74
Production Code: G506

Episode Summary
Previously on M*A*S*H: Commanding Officer: Major Frank Burns, Hawkeye Pierce arrived home in his usual fashion after spending three days of R&R&R&R&R, learning that Trapper John had been shipped stateside, Hawkeye, without permission accompanies Radar to the Kimpo Airbase, having just missed Trapper, Hawkeye did, however, manage to meet his replacement: Captain B.J. Hunnicutt, and are on their way home, only to discover that their jeep had been stolen, so naturally they steal one for themselves: a general's jeep. And now, back to our story: Hawkeye absense didn't go un-noticed by Margaret or Frank, meanwhile, Hawkeye, B.J. and Radar are enjoying an eventful ride back to the 4077th, complete with all kinds of obstacles like another M.P. check point, pulling over to stop a couple of farm girls whose father sent them out into a field to check for landmines, one of their tires going flat while local guerillas start firing at them, and patching up kids who wounded in the sudden mortar attack. Finally, the three arrive at Rosie's Bar and Grille, where Hawkeye treats him and B.J. to saki with beer, and another grape nehi for Radar. It isn't before too long, Margaret and Frank are thrilled to hear the honking of an incoming jeep, bearing their newest surgeon, only to be gravely disappointed that Hawkeye got to him first, and are both completely drunk. In the end, the M.P.s finally catch up with the general's stolen jeep, and Frank is arrested, while Hawkeye continues to make his new best friend feel at home as possible... that is until word gets out the 4077th is getting a new Commanding Officer!

M*O*R*S*E*L*S
* Although this is the second episode of Season Four, it was the sixth one produced.

* The tail end of this episode unofficially marks the first appearance of the 4077th's new Commanding Officer, Colonel Sherman T. Potter, Regular Army. The clip of him arriving in camp while Radar is busy getting a suntan is used as a teaser for the next episode.

* This was one of Mike Farrell's favorite episodes (along with part one).

* Frank admits to having a Korean houseboy whom he pays three cigarettes a day to to shine his boots on a regular basis.

* Korean Lesson: "Chung-ji" means "stop", "U-san" means "umbrella", "E-so" means "stay"

* B.J. Hunnicutt comes from three generations of doctors.

* Radar's hometown is revealed in this episode as being Ottumwa, Iowa.

* B.J. performs his first "field surgery" in this episode when he and Hawkeye have to stop and aid people who got caught in the sudden mortar attack.

* The first time a full-scale fist fight breaks out in Rosie's Bar.

* GOOF: Colonel Potter's tent is being used as Father Mulcahy's tent in this episode.

* GOOF: During the drive back to camp, B.J.'s hat flies off, however if you look closely, you can make out him actually fumbling with it before he lets go of it.

"Deleted" Scenes
* After this episode opens with a "previously on our show" sequence, syndication cuts straight to Margaret walking in on Frank in Father Mulcahy's tent; thus cutting out Frank discussing this week's sermon with Father Mulcahy.

* The entire scene where Hawkeye, B.J., and Radar are pulled over by the same M.P., who suspects something weird is going on when Radar is able to drive since he was supposed to be deathly ill, as well as observe they're driving in a different jeep has been completely cut.

* The mortar attack has been nicked for time.

* The scene in Rosie's Bar has also been nicked for time.

Favorite Quote
B.J.: You know, I really can't wait to see the place!
HAWKEYE: Oh, you can wait... you ever heard of a military post? This is a compost.

Overall
Opinion: Great conclusion to B.J.'s introduction!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Episode Information
Episode Title: "Change of Command"
Episode Number: 75
Original Airdate: September 19, 1975
Production Code: G501
Writers: Jim Fritzell, Everett Greenbaum

Episode Summary
The only thing that made Hawkeye and B.J. happy about Frank Burns being in charge is that he's no longer bunking with them in the Swamp, but soon he'll have to again when Frank receives a notice from H.Q. that they're sending the 4077th a new Commanding Officer: one Colonel Sherman T. Potter, who's Regular Army, which makes most people feel uncomfortable with fear that he'll be way too uptight and won't tolerate everyone's crazy acts to keep sane. When news gets out to Frank, he throws a very childlike temper-tantrum and runs away, meanwhile Colonel Potter drives into camp, and has Radar help his set up his office, he also inspects his officers and finds them to be a colorful group... something he will not tolerate, and demands that everyone straighten up and fly right. Pretty soon, the 4077th receives incoming wounded, which makes everyone nervous since his file indicates Colonel Potter hasn't been in an operating room in two years, but he manages, "I guess surgery's like a bicycle, once you learn, you never forget". Later that night, Hawkeye and B.J. find that Colonel Potter could very well be one of the guys when he wishes he had a drink, and they show him the still in the Swamp, and doesn't object to it.

M*O*R*S*E*L*S
* Although this is the third episode of Season Four, it was the first produced.

* This episode marks the official first appearance of Colonel Sherman T. Potter.

* Colonel Potter also served in both World Wars.

* Hawkeye and B.J. build a little bar inside the Swamp in honor of Henry Blake, naming it the Henry Blake Memorial Bar.

* Frank Burns throws his first hissy fit in this episode, something he'll end up doing on a regular basis as he slowly becomes more and more pathological and paranoid.

* Corporal Klinger's Latest Scheme to Get Out of the Army: Telling Colonel Potter that he's nuts, and should be out.

* William Christopher doesn't wear Father Mulcahy's trademark black shirt in this episode.

* Colonel Potter is a Methodist. In fact, although Father Mulcahy is Roman Catholic, William Christopher, in real life, is actually Methodist as well.

* Colonel Potter has been assigned to the 4077th for eighteen months.

* Colonel Potter received the Purple Heart in WWII when his still exploded in the middle of the night one night.

"Deleted" Scenes
* The opening sequence where Frank is going over some of his new regulations with Margaret has been nicked for time.

* The entire scene where Frank sneaks back to camp in the middle of the night and finds refuge in Margaret's tent has been completely cut.

* Hawkeye, B.J., and Colonel Potter enjoying drinks in the Swamp in the middle of the night has been nicked for time.

Favorite Quote
HAWKEYE: Speaking of Merna Loy, I'd like to talk to you about Corporal Klinger...
COLONEL POTTER: And his all girl orchestra?

Overall
Opinion: Great way to introduce Colonel Potter!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Episode Information
Episode Title: "It Happened One Night"
Episode Number: 76
Original Airdate: September 26, 1975
Production Code: G502
Writers: Larry Gelbart, Simon Muntner (Teleplay by), Gene Reynolds (Story by)

Episode Summary
It's the dead of winter, and it's a spooky night, as the 4077th has to go under complete black-out conditions to avoid being seen by the enemy. B.J. has complications with his patient in Post-Op, who won't seem to stop bleeding enternally, so Hawkeye and Margaret, who currently serve Post-Op duty have to put up with him, and another patient who is extremely scared and nervous. Margaret gives Frank Burns a love note, which he immediately tears up after reading, hurting her feelings since she keeps everything he sends her, so Frank sneaks into her tent in the middle of the night and tears it apart looking for where she hides his note. The night really begins to get rough where artillary shells go off above camp, and turns out to be their own

M*O*R*S*E*L*S
* Although this is the fourth episode of Season Four, it was the second one produced.

* Father Mulcahy doesn't appear in this episode for the first time since becoming a main character.

* Corporal Klinger's Latest Scheme to Get Out of the Army: Three in this episode: sending a photo of himself in a gartar belt to General MacArthur, pretending to be suffering an anxiety attack after he got nicked with a bullet, and running around the Compound in his underwear to try to freeze himself to deather.

* Klinger's blood type is B+.

* GOOF: Radar, I'm telling you, you don't need those makeshift ear muffs, that's what the flaps around your cap is for.

"Deleted" Scenes
* The entire scene where Hawkeye grabs a cup of coffee in the Mess Tent, where Klinger introduces him to their new guard, Private Jenkins has been completely cut.

* The entire scene where Frank throws the scraps of Margaret's note into the stove in the Swamp, then gets stopped by Klinger and Jenkins on his way to Margaret's tent has been completely cut.

* In most syndicated prints, the entire scene in Pre-Op where Hawkeye patches up Klinger's wound is completely cut out, while in other prints, its simply nicked for time.

Favorite Quote
FRANK: I don't like to say this, but you could get killed you know, Margaret, and if someone were to get to your stuff before I did...
MARGARET: (Interrupts) Frank! YOU could get killed too, you know!
FRANK: Now that's just wrong.

Overall
Opinion: Pretty good, I neither love it, nor hate it.