D'Snowth's M*A*S*H Reviews

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Plot from TV.com (formerly, and should still be, TV Tome).

Season Three

Episode 53: "O.R."

Writers: Larry Gelbart, Laurence Marks
Director: Gene Reynolds
Original Airdate: October 8, 1974

Plot: The OR is filled with more wounded than the unit can handle. Hawkeye does heart massage on a soldier, which saves his life, but he dies four hours later. Sidney Freedman drops in during the deluge, and is dragged into the fray by Hawkeye.

Comments:
- Although this is the fifth episode of Season Three, it was the sixth produced.

- The is the first episode to be filmed completely without a laugh track.

- It's possible for Henry Blake to be sent home for arthiritis.

- Hawkeye performs an open-heart massage on a patient who doesn't look like he'll make it; this is the first time a heart massage was done on the show, though sadly later in Post-Op the patient ends up dying anyway.

- GOOF: When O.R. catches on fire, Trapper puts it out with alcohol, but it amazingly doesn't explode, like everybody told him could've happened.

What's Cut:
- Frank Burns bursting into O.R. claiming his special scrub brush sent to him by his mother has been edited out.

- The brief scene in the break room with Trapper and Frank has been nicked for time.

Overall:
I found this episode a little hard to follow, but the again, I felt the same way about all episodes that take place in one particular place for the entire episode (ala "Hawkeye" or "A Night at Rosie's"); not to mention that there's no laugh track at all through out the entire episode. I give it 3 out of 10 stars.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Season Three

Episode 49: "The General Flipped at Dawn"

Writers: Jim Fritzell, Everett Greenbaum
Director: Larry Gelbart
Original Airdate: September 10, 1974

Plot: The 4077th is anticipating the arrival of General Bartford Hamiliton Steele, who will be arriving for an inspection, so at 0600 hours on the big day, the entire camp (except for Hawkeye and Trapper) fall out for inspection when General Steele finally arrives. The general inspects the troops, and slightly chews out various people for the tiniest things (like Frank Burns's nostril hair), and while Hawkeye keeps watch over a patient who is unsucessfully recuperating in Post-Op, and later having a date with a nurse in the Supply Room, Henry Blakes begins to see just what a whacko General Steele is, when he demands tongue depressers be sterilized and used again. Hawkeye also sees what a kook he is when he and Henry catches them making out in the Supply Room, when Hawkeye suddenly orders the nurse off, and claims to the general to be with the United Press International, and Steele starts dictating an article to him about predicting an early end to the war, that is if it doesn't rain, and wants him to call his wife to tell her he's mailing her a jeep for her birthday. Things really begin to heat up when General Steele decided the 4077th is too far from the front, and needs to bug out and move closer to the front.

Comments:
- Although this is the first episode of Season Three, it was actually the eighth produced.

- Harry Morgan, who plays General Steele, will actually become a regular in Season Four when he plays Colonel Sherman T. Potter - the 4077th's new commanding officer taking over for the late Henry Blake.

- Harry Morgan has said in an interview that this is one of his favorite episodes, and he also believes that it was his portrayal of General Steele that led to his "promotion" to Colonel Potter.

- Harry Morgan was also the only replacement cast member who got to meet McLean Stevenson before his death.

- The scene where General Steele inspects the troops is said to have gone through seventeen takes because McLean Stevenson and Gary Burghoff kept breaking up, not expecting Harry Morgan to be so funny.

- By chopper, the 4077th is twenty minutes from the front.

- GOOF: Hawkeye makes another reference to having a sister, but he's supposed to be an only child.

- GOOF: Henry and Radar don't wear masks when they walk into O.R.

- GOOF: The new location General Steele scouts out for the 4077th is actually right behind them, as he walks by the small creek (which hasn't dried up yet) and the minefield that border back end of the camp (behind the hospital, Supply Tent, Latrine, etc).

What's Cut:
- Henry's initial meeting with the senior surgical staff about General Steele's upcoming arrival has been nicked for time.

- Hawkeye checking on his patient in O.R. before picking up another nurse has been edited out.

- The brief scene in the Swamp where Frank chews Hawkeye and Trapper out for some of the things they read, and the way they keep their side of the tent messy has been cut.

- The brief scene in the Swamp where Hawkeye changes into his Hawaiian shirt while Trapper plays the mandolin, and Radar delivers a box a cheese has been cut.

- The entire scene where General Steele scouts out the new location for the 4077th, is later under fire when Henry salutes him has ben completely cut.

- The closing sequence where Hawkeye, Trapper, and Henry immitate General Steele's show-stopping number, "Mississippi Mud" has been cut.

Overall:
Wonderful way to kick off Season Three! Probably one of my favorite season premieres, and I thoroly enjoyed Harry Morgan's portrayal as the crazy General Steele! For the Season Three premiere, I give it 10 stars all the way (though I deduct some stars General Steele, hee-hee-hee)!
I forgot to mention that it appears Loretta Swit got a little face lift inbetween Seasons Two and Three.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Season Three

Episode 54: "Springtime"

Writers: Linda Bloodworth, Mary Kay Place
Director: Don Weis
Original Airdate: October 15, 1974

Plot: After a long, cold, dull winter, the gang of the 4077th is overjoyed to see that springtime has finally arrived in Korea: the weather's warm, the sun is shining, there isn't a cloud in the sky, and everyone decides to take advantage of the nice day in their own way - Radar suddenly finds himself in love with Lieutenant Simmons after catching a glimpse of her getting a suntan, Henry Blake does off into the fields to practice his golf swing, Margaret and Frank Burns enjoy a blanket under a shade tree while the breeze is blowing, and Corporal Klinger gets the surprise of his life when he receives a letter from his girlfriend, Laverne Espisito, back home, telling him she wants to get married. Meanwhile: Hawkeye has to deal with two troublesome patients - one of which is a HUGE Marine named Lyle Wesson, who latches onto him for saving his life, while the other is attached to a stray cat and refuses to let go of it, Radar decides to try to get himself a date with Lieutenant Simmons without asking her to date him, while Henry and Father Mulcahy contact Laverne via radio to marry her and Klinger, to the opposition of Margaret and Frank.

Comments:
- Although this is the sixth episode of Season Three, it was the third produced.

- Corporal Klinger is the first character on the show who got married (and later divorced) during the war, Margaret would later get married as well at the end of Season Five, but divorced later in Season Seven. Klinger and Laverne have known each other since they were little kids, though they didn't start dating until high school.

- Although this isn't Igor's first episode, this is his first time having to serve chow in the Mess Tent, which be one of his only jobs for the rest of the series' run.

- I find this a little strange, but if Laverne is also from Toledo, Ohio, then she wouldn't necessarily have a southern accent then, would she?

What's Cut:
- Henry refusing to let Klinger go home to get married has been nicked for time.

- The scene following afterwards where Lieutenant Simmons, and some of the other nurses checking out the volley ball teams on the bulletin board, while Radar sneaks over so he can stand next to Simmons has been cut.

- The scene in Henry's office where Henry tests the radio, then explains how it works to Klinger for the wedding has been cut.

- The closing sequence where Hawkeye and Trapper have martinis in the Swamp during a thunderstorm when Radar stops by to see if they have any books on poetry has been cut.

Overall:
I love this Season Three episode; I really feel that the show hit its mark by the time it went into its third season. This episode is very enjoyable, and I give it 10 stars!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Season Three

Episode 55: "Check-Up"

Writers: Laurence Marks
Director: Don Weis
Original Airdate: October 22, 1974

Plot: Henry Blake made the announcement over the P.A. system that a new Army regulation had been established: all personnel has to be seen for routine check-ups, so while everyone prepares themselves for their check-ups, Trapper refuses because he doesn't want to be examined in such a primitive, awful, cesspool of a hospital as the 4077th, but apparently there's more than that: he has an ulcer... and if he does, then that means that could very well be his ticket home! Everyone is so excited, but no more excited than Trapper is - he'll finally be back home, working in a REAL hospital with REAL medical care, and getting to see his wife and kids again, so Hawkeye decides that Trapper needs to have a full-blown party in his honor before he leaves, so everyone shows up in the Mess Tent with drinks and farewell presents for Trapper when he receives the most depressing message yet: he has to report to Tokyo for three weeks for therapy and the works for his ulcer, and once he's cured, he'll either be transfered to another unit, or has the choice of staying put at the 4077th; apparently they don't send you home for ulcers.

Comments:
- Although this is the seventh episode of Season Three, it was the twelfth produced.

- Corporal Klinger's Latest Scheme to Get Out of the Army: Pretend to be deathly ill by having a temperature of two degrees, having a blood pressure of 200/310

- What makes this episode interesting is that Trapper John would actually be sent home between Seasons Three and Four anyway due to the departure of Wayne Rogers.

- Alan Alda and Wayne Rogers shed real tears when Hawkeye is thanking Trapper for making the war bearable, and for being a good friend.

- GOOF: Radar has a tattoo in this episode, but in other episodes, it's gone... in fact, later on in Season Six, an episode revolves around Radar wanting to get a tattoo "to be the object of respect, fear, and sex".

What's Cut:
- A brief scene where Margaret checks out her nurses has been cut.

- The scene where Hawkeye stops by Margaret's tent to give her her physical has been cut.

- The brief scene where Henry has Radar take off his shirt for his physical, thus revealing Radar got himself a tattoo of an anchor has been cut.

Overall:
A rather sentimental episode, if I do say so myself. 8 out of 10 stars.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Season Three

Episode 56: "Life with Father"

Writers: Everett Greenbaum, Jim Fritzell
Director: Hy Averback
Original Airdate: October 29, 1974

Plot: A Korean mother enters camp looking for someone who would be willing to perform a briss on her baby, whose father is a Corporal in the U.S. Army, so while Hawkeye agrees to perform the circusision, Father Mulcahy agrees to perform prayer in Hebrew. Meanwhile, Margaret and Frank Burns plot to report the whole thing for insubordination, Hawkeye and Trapper on the side are looking for ten presidents in a picture of a horse to win a pony, and Henry Blake is excited when he receives a letter from Lorraine giving him permission to horse around, but then later feels something isn't right.

Comments:
- Although this is the eighth episode of Season Three, it was the second produced.

- The first episode centered around Father Mulcahy.

- GOOF: Why is Henry so upset about the thought of Lorraine cheating on him? He's cheated on her countless times while he was in Korea.

- GOOF: The pony Hawkeye and Trapper win is obviously a horse... either that or they won a genetically enlarged pony...

What's Cut:
- There's a brief scene in the Mess Tent where Henry is so upset about Lorraine's letter, he interrupts Hawkeye and Trapper's lunch to avoid crying.

- Henry on the phone with Lorraine and learning she did, indeed, cheat on him, has been nicked for time.

- The closing sequence where a party for the baby is being thrown in the Mess Tent, while Hawkeye rides into the Compound with his and Trapper's new pony has been cut.

Overall:
Another one of those episodes that I don't watch a lot, but each time I do watch it, I remember just what a good episode it really is, and while although it isn't one of my favorites, I do like it nonetheless. I give it 8 out of 10 stars.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Season Three

Episode 57: "Alcoholics Unanimous"

Writers: Everett Greenbaum, Jim Fritzell
Original Airdate: November 12, 1974

Plot: While Henry Blake is away, everyone gets upset because that means second-in-command Frank Burns will be charge of the 4077th in his absense, and since Hawkeye and Trapper get carried away in drowning their sorrows in gin, Frank makes a new rule for the camp: any form of any alcohol will be strictly prohibited, which makes Hawkeye, Trapper, and eventually Margaret go crazy when they have nothing to give them comfort. Seeing this, Frank is convinced that they're alcoholics, and are in need of help, so Frank has Father Mulcahy do a sermon to the whole camp about drinking, only to find that Father Mulcahy is drunk from having a sip of the sacremental wine Corporal Klinger has gave him to calm him down because he was nervous because he never had any kind of turn out to his sermons since he had been with the 4077th.

Comments:
- Although this is the nineth episode of Season Three, it was the fourteenth produced.

- Henry Blake does not appear in this episode.

- It's revealed that Corporal Klinger is an atheist, but the only reason he attends Father Mulcahy's Sunday sermons is because it gives him a chance to wear his white gloves.

- Margaret had changed the sign on her tent door.

What's Cut:
- There's a scene in the Mess Tent where Father Mulcahy holds a sermon that Klinger attends, and later Hawkeye and Trapper walk into for the good Father's help for some booze has been completely cut.

- The brief scene where Frank walks out of Margaret's tent, still wearing the bra she had him model for her when he bumps into Radar has been cut.

- Father Mulcahy's sermon on drinking has been nicked for time.

Overall:
This is considered one of the general fan-favorite episodes of Season Three. It's pretty good, but it's not one of my favorites. I give it 5 out of 10 stars.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Season Three

Episode 58: "There's Nothing Like a Nurse"

Writers: Larry Gelbart
Original Airdate: November 19, 1974

Plot: Henry Blake has had it with the issue with the nurses - every five either Margaret is in his office complaining that her nurses are out of control, or they're in his office complaining that Margaret is really Hermann Goering in drag. Though Henry does receive some good news: the 4077th could be expecting an enemy attack! So, Henry orders the nurses and the wounded to be shipped out to the 44th Field Hospital where they'll be safer, meanwhile, Frank Burns orders the enlistedmen to dig fox holes for the troops to dive into when the enemy does start to attack. With the nurses gone, all the men in camp are miserable - having to pull double-duty in O.R., and outside of O.R., no female companionship to pass the time, the men are bored out their skulls! They try to pass the time, though, Hawkeye and Trapper drown their sorrows in martinis, Corporal Klinger continues to parade around in dresses, Captain Spaulding sings for the camp, Hawkeye and Trapper then manage to get Frank to fall into one of his own fox holes, which they park a jeep over, so they can watch his home movies in Henry's office of his wedding day, when suddenly the 4077th is under an air raid attack, only to discover that the attack is only 5 O'Clock Charlie making a come-back, and flooding the camp with propaganda that reads "Give Up Imperialist Dogs". So with that, the nurse return from the 44th, and the men are jumping for joy.

Comments:
- Although this is the tenth episode of Season Three, it was the nineth produced.

- Corporal Klinger's Latest Scheme to Get Out of the Army: Stowing away in the truck leaving for the 44th Field Hospital in a large duffle bag.

- First and only time we see Louise Burns on-screen during Frank's home movies. She was played by Jeanne Schulherr

What's Cut:
- Margaret's complaint about her nurses in Henry's office has been nicked for time.

- In most syndicated prints, the scene where Radar enters Margaret's tent to tell her that Frank is busy with the foxholes, offers to help her pack her things, and tell her that she looks like his sister is cut.

- Hawkeye making out with a nurse in the supply room has been nicked, cutting out Trapper and a nurse asking them to leave so they can have the supply room.

- Frank entering Margaret's tent, giving her an envelope full of some of his hair clippings has been cut.

Overall:
A pretty amusing episode: it has it's funny moments, and it also has it's sentimental moments, though the highlight for me in this episode was seeing Frank's home movies of his wedding, which were hilarious! I give this episode 7.5 out of 10 stars.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Season Three

Episode 59: "Adam's Ribs"

Writers: Laurence Marks
Original Airdate: November 26, 1974

Plot: Hawkeye is outraged: everyone in camp has been served liver or fish for eleven straight days in a row. "It's inhuman to serve the same food day after day... fish, liver, day after day! I've eaten a river or liver and an ocean of fish! I've eaten so much fish I'm ready to grow gills! I've eaten so much liver I can only make love when I'm smothered in bacon and onions!" Hawkeye then starts a riot in the Mess Tent, which gets him in trouble with Henry Blake, until Henry makes a comment about Trapper's remark not being such a rib-tickler sparks Hawkeye's mind: barbecued spare ribs is what Hawkeye is craving! And not just any ribs, there's a place in Chicago called Adam's Ribs, that makes the most delicious spare ribs, the greasiest french fries, and the greatest cole slaw in the world; so later that night, Hawkeye has Radar make a call where he places a take-out order: fourty pounds of their best ribs, and a gallon of barbecue sauce, packaged up and marked "B.F. Pierce" and someone would pick them up. That someone would turn out to be Trapper's old girlfriend, Mildred, who would pick up the ribs, pay for them, and deliver them to the airport. The ribs are then flown from Chicago to a military airline in San Francisco, which sends them to Korea, where Hawkeye and Trapper go to pick them up, only to be met with a greedy supply sergeant, who won't part with them unless Hawkeye gives up twelve pounds of ribs, and a pint of sauce. So finally, back at the 4077th, everyone prepares to enjoy barbecued spareribs but, unfortunately, incoming wounded arrive and ruin their lunch.

Comments:
- Although this is the eleventh episode of Season Three, it was the sixteenth produced.

- Margaret and Frank Burns don't appear in this episode.

- The first place Henry's mother let him go to the men's room all by himself was Deerborn Station back home in Illinois.

- Corporal Klinger's Latest Scheme to Get Out of the Army: He has an uncle in Chicago, whom he'll have pick up Hawkeye's ribs and take them to the airport on one condition - he and Trapper sign his discharge paper.

- Trapper has yet another girlfriend in Chicago, named Mildred.

- GOOF: Henry says he first met Lorraine at Deerborn Station, however in "Dear Dad Three", he said he met Lorraine at a freshman mixer in high school.

- GOOF: Radar mentions something about a supply depot "down in Ouijongbu". The 4077th IS in Ouijongbu.

What's Cut:
- Klinger in chow line, and grabbing a seat next to Radar, who compliments him on his dress has been edited out.

- Hawkeye's riot has been cut in half.

- After Hawkeye finishes raving about the ribs in Henry's office, syndication cuts straight to him waking Radar up to make a phone call; this cuts out Hawkeye lying in his cot in the Swamp craving the ribs, then waking up and walking past Klinger on guard duty towards Radar's office.

- Klinger complaining that Hawkeye got sucotash and liver on his stole has been nicked for time.

- A scene where Hawkeye and Trapper are talking with a guy who keeps giving them run-around at the supply depot has been cut.

Overall:
I really like this episode... in fact, I won't lie to you, whenever I'm eating spare ribs in my room, I pop this episode into the DVD player. I give it 9 out of 10 stars.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Plot from TV.com (which should still be TV Tome)

Season Three

Episode 61: "A Full Rich Day"

Writers: John D. Hess
Original Airdate: December 3, 1974

Plot: Hawkeye records a letter to his dad, detailing the exploits of a mad Turkish soldier who calls Hawkeye a "**** good Joe," the unfortunate loss of the corpse of a Luxembourg soldier named Lt. Henri-Batiste LeClerc (who turns out not to be dead), and a gun-happy soldier who demands that his wounded friend be treated ahead of other patients.

Comments:
- Although this is the twelfth episode of Season Three, it was the eleventh produced.

- Margaret doesn't appear in this episode.

What's Cut:
- Not sure.

Overall:
Not too many people really like this episode, and I'm not too crazy about it either; we feel this episode doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. I give it 1 out of 10 stars.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Season Three

Episode 62: "Mad Dogs and Servicemen"

Writers: Linda Bloodworth, Mary Kay Place
Original Airdate: December 10, 1974

Plot: Radar loves animals, and animals love him, and while he was feeding a stray dog one day, the dog accidentally bit his hand, which makes Hawkeye concerned that Radar may need to be treated for rabies, so while Radar and Henry Blake search the countryside for the dog that bit Radar, Hawkeye has to deal with a patient who appears to be paralized, but hasn't sustained any injuries, and refuses to talk about it.

Comments:
- Although this is the thirteenth episode of Season Three, it was the seventeenth produced.

- The first time we see the menagerie of animals Radar is keeping in Korea as pets. He currently has a raccoon, a skunk, a bunny, a possum, and a turtle who keeps sneaking into the Showers with Henry.

- Radar's love of animals is another contribution to the character from Gary Burghoff, who is a renowned wildlife artist, and has, in the past, maintained a sanctuary for wildlife in his backyard, earning him the nickname "The Birdman of Malibu".

- This episode marks the debut of Rosie's Bar and Grille, a civilian bar for locals located across the road from the 4077th. This episode also marks the first appearance of Rosie, who would remain a semi-regular fixture on the show for the rest of it's run, though she's played by a different actress with each appearance. In this episode, she is played by Shizuko Hoshi.

- Trapper John's hometown is revealed in this episode as Boston, Massachusetts.

What's Cut:
- Hawkeye trying to see what's wrong with his patient with psychiatry has been nicked for time.

- The entire scene in Post-Op where Radar is laid up while Margaret reads him his mail, and replies back for him has been completely cut.

- Trapper and Henry chasing after the stray dog around camp has been nicked for time.

Overall:
A pretty good episode, if I do say so myself. I give it 8 out 10 stars.