1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Dudley the Dragon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mo Frackle, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

Anybody remember "Dudley the Dragon", this Canadian show that used to come on PBS? A lot of people mistake this for a Barney rip-off, but if anything, it's the exact opposite of Barney. Anyway, being able to see several episodes on youtube again has been great.
  2. Bliffenstimmers

Bliffenstimmers Active Member

I vaugely remember Dudley. The only evidence I have is an old plush toy and a video tape. Don't know what the show is like... no vcr to play it on.
  3. Collgoff

Collgoff Well-Known Member

I remember that show I use to watch it when I was a little girl.
  4. Foodie

Foodie Active Member

I draw Dudley all the time!!!!
  5. Collgoff

6. Foodie

Foodie Active Member

He shows up on the cards I draw for my parents. This link leads to my Dad's recent birthday card. http://phraggle.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d57m7zo I was on an Alien kick too. Oh! My version of Dudley is based on the plush version I have.
    Mo Frackle likes this.
  7. Mo Frackle

I think the show is currently in reruns in Canada (on APTN), though for whatever reason, APTN hasn't aired anything from the first two seasons (though interestingly, they have aired the short-lived French counterparts to these two seasons). The season 3 premiere also supposedly hasn't aired. It was an episode that involved a doll being turned into a human (regular cast member "Julia"). This is very odd, especially since Julia's previous life as a doll was never brought up again. Most of the APTN airings are also now on youtube.
  8. Collgoff

Double cool!
    Foodie likes this.
  9. Mo Frackle

For the last few months, I've been updating the wikipedia article for Dudley. A lot of this information, not to brag, was provided by yours truly.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Dudley_the_Dragon

There probably aren't many Dudley fans on here, but if anybody is able to dig up any additional info, feel free to add it (as long as it's legit; I'm still trying to confirm the accuracy of the VHS releases somebody added a few weeks back).

Also, very recently (about a minute ago, to be exact), I found information on an actor named Anthony Scavone. According to the IMDB, he was Dudley in the American brodcasts. Though it's not specified if he was Dudley's voice, I'm guessing that's what they're implying.

My memories of Dudley airing on PBS are extremely vague, so I really don't remember what American Dudley sounded like. Up until now, I always assumed that Alex Galatis' voice remained in the American airings. I actually can't imagine somone other than Galatis doing Dudley's voice. If anybody has any old PBS airings, I'd love to see them.
  10. Dudley, Dudley the Dragon!! Dudley, Dudley the Dragon!
    I remember that show :)
  11. ZeppoAndFriends

ZeppoAndFriends Well-Known Member

I knew this was real!

I have the vaguest recollections of this show. It was one of many shows that I saw once or twice before the station changed its lineup and I couldn't find it again.

Something sparked my memory a few years ago and two images stuck themselves in my mind: A dragon looking up at a hole in the roof of a cave and a talking crab apple tree. When I asked my brother and sister if they knew what it was, they both stared at me like I'd just ranted in French, then suggested that I was misremembering an episode of Barney.

That's one more old TV show that I can finally put a name to. Hoorah for the internet.
    Mo Frackle likes this.
  12. Mo Frackle

13. mupcollector1

mupcollector1 Well-Known Member

There was this video clip on the internet of this bull frog singing "Rhythm of the Woods" that just cracked me up every time I watched it, but it was taken off.

It seems like there was a bunch of Canadian kids puppet programs.

Anyone know of Swamp Critters? There's this song called "Lost in Blue Lagoon" which was a nice song but not enough camera shots for a puppet program since it was quite a slow song.
  14. Bliffenstimmers

Bliffenstimmers Active Member

I've been digging around for old VHS tapes now that I have a VCR, and I've come across a tape with a few episodes of Dudley the Dragon taped off of PBS! I haven't seen the whole tape, but so far I know it has a portion of "Dudley and the Leprechaun" and "Dragons Ahoy!" I plan on getting a capture card to put these episodes online...
    Mo Frackle likes this.