Earl Kress - In Memoriam of an MC Family Member

Melonpool

Reaction score
I will truly miss Earl. I've known him for about 15 years, though in the last two, I really go to "know" him a little better. A great man who always encouraged my crazy projects and even participated in a few. He was supposed to be one of the cast of a feature-length film we're planning to make and will be impossible to replace -- both as a friend and as a collaborator. We've already decided that we're going to dedicate the film to him.

Safe travels, my friend.

muppetperson

Reaction score
So sadden to hear of Earl's passing.I was only thinking the other day that it was a while since his last post.Everybody looked up to him here and enjoyed his posts and insights.I always enjoyed his posts on the MR Muppet line and found his stories about the "Widgets" amusing.Now he is gone.Rest in peace, Earl.You will be missed.

zns

Reaction score
We will miss you Earl. Christ be with you my friend.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
this a sad moment i remember reading all his posts back in the day...may he RIP

minor muppetz

Reaction score
This is sad news. After reading the news yesterday, I decided to watch the ending to The Muppet Movie, as well as his Road Runner short Little Go Beep.

I enjoyed all the insight he gave about the making of the ending of The Muppet Movie, as well as his memories of visiting the Sesame Street set often in the early 1970s. When I first learned of his "My Name is Earl Kress" blog on the Golden Age Cartoons forum, I mentioned the news somewhere on this thread. I started a page for Earl Kress at Muppet Wiki, though it was later taken down for not being relavent enough (the talk page can still be viewed).

I think I was the first to ask anything close to who he was, before we learned his name, and he mentioned he wasn't trying to hide his identity but wasn't ready to reveal himself yet. And when a Tom and Jerry DVD came out I looked at the back packaging and saw "Earl Kress" listed as doing commentary, and figured out that was him (before he revealed his name to us). Similarly, he was a member of the Golden Age Cartoons forum under the name Daws Butler Jr, but I thought that was really Butler's son. One time on the forum he mentioned a fact about the Top Cat DVD, which he'd mentioned on his blog, and I asked about it, confused (another member told me via private message that he was Earl Kress).

I've often desired to have my own cartoony live-action series, and I had it in my mind that if I achieved that goal, I'd want at least one person on the writing staff who was more experienced with writing for animation, with Earl Kress being at the top of the list (while I know many of the shows he wrote for, I don't know what episodes he had written).

I wonder if The Muppet Mindset or Tough Pigs will point this out.

Beauregard

Reaction score
That is so sad...I remember his warm story telling that made us all jealous, without ever thinking he had come here to brag. I loved living vicariously through him and his interactions with the underground, behind-the-scenes Muppet world. My thoughts are with his family.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I just read about Earl's passing over at Cartoon Brew. Very, very sad news. He was was a wonderfully knowledgeable guy to have here on the forum.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
It's such a sad occurence to lose someone with so much knowledge and with so much appreciation here on the forum and elsewhere, my condolences are with his family and friends. R.I.P Earl Kress.

outerelf

Reaction score
I never got to meet him on this forum, but the true tragedy is for the people he left behind. I hope that his family accepts my condolences.

LamangoNumber2

Reaction score
This is truely heart breaking, but remember, he gets to meet his ol pal Jim again.