Early Cookie Monster

Splurge

Reaction score
Here's another earlier scenario in which Cookie Monster spoke. In the second Unpaved episode, Bert tells Ernie about a monster which just ate the bacon he made. The same monster appears in shot and eats the letter "X" Ernie just made. When asked why, the monster says, "I always like to eat bacon and X!" and laughs sinisterly. In the rest of that episode, the monster doesn't speak much, most grunts in his own monster talk.

Both Bert and the monster were in the same shot and I have a feeling that is was Caroll Spinney who was operating the monster, although he lipsynched the "bacon and X" line which was in Frank's voice.

Clean Gultch

Reaction score
I saw that skit. I thought it was rpetty funny. Buit the x ernie was holding was a gift from bert for making xs the right way on a chalk board (he was making nonsense letters and then crossing them out, not realzing the crosses were xs)

mikealan

Reaction score
There was also another early Cookie Monster skit from 1969 where Kermit calls Cookie the "Monster". It was the lecture of happy/sad faces where "The Monster" eats both of them to make Kermit feel angry as he yells to him, "YOU BAD MONSTER! YOU ATE THE LECTURE I'M TALKING ABOUT!! I'M GONNA TELL YOUR MOTHER THAT YOU ATE MY LECTURE AND I'M GONNA TELL YOUR FRIENDS THAT YOU'RE THE WORST MONSTER EVER!!!" Then, I believe "The Monster" talks like "Oh, froggy, froggy, froggy, etc!" When he was sorry for not eating the face. He was really the Cookie Monster. This early sketch was shown on episode #162.

mikealan

Reaction score
:big_grin:

Here's the transcript of the "Bacon & X" sketch from 1969, episode #2 of Sesame Street starring the early Cookie Monster, yes, "The Monster"!

Bert: Ernie...Ernie, you could write down your x's on your chart, but what we have here for breakfast is bacon and eggs. You know, eggs doesn't start with X, it starts with E.

Ernie: Oh, I'm afraid monsters would eat our breakfast meal. We've gotta get rid of that monster getting ready to eat it!

Monster: RAAAUUGH! I always like to eat bacon and X! (Begins to eat the bacon first and then the letter X. Bert leaves.) ARRRR-yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum!

Ernie: (who is now getting frustrated while writing the X's on the board) STUPID MONSTER! You ate our meal! You ate the letter X! I'm gonna tell Bert that it's his fault! (Monster grunts and nibbles the chalkboard) Go away, you FILTHY BEAST! (Monster roars more and eats the chalkboard and chalk. Ernie begins to cry.) AAAAAAUUUUUGGGGGGHHHHHH! YOU'RE THE WORST MONSTER EVER ON SESAME STREET!!! We'd better make our meal again! (Leaves crying)

Monster: Raaauuggh! (Nibbles chalk and leaves)

Do you think this sketch works?

ssetta

Reaction score
I read in the Unpaved book that he was seen in commercials in movie theaters before he went to SS.

mikealan

Reaction score
Errr, I think here's how it went, and it's not episode #2, it's episode #8:

Bert: Hey Ernie, it's awful. Just awful. The monster ate all of our bacon! We'll never have bacon again for breakfast. Just awful.

Ernie: Gee, that's terrible, Bert. We gotta do something! We gotta get rid of that beast before he ate everything for breakfast. (To Monster) Hey you, monster, why did you ate all of our bacon?

Monster: I always like to eat bacon and X! ARRRRR-har-har-har-har!

Ernie: Stupid monster! You ate all of our bacon! How did you like to eat the letter X? I'm writing x's on board, you know!

Then comes the rest I never recall.

ssetta

Reaction score
Actually, Ernie's words were, "Stupid Monster! He doesn't even know that 'EGGS' begin with 'E!'"

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
ssetta said:
Actually, Ernie's words were, "Stupid Monster! He doesn't even know that 'EGGS' begin with 'E!'"

And has anyone bothered to mention that:

Ernie's shirt and the color of his nose was different in the 1st season that the traditional red and blue sweater that everyone knows and loves today?

Remember 1969.

gbrobeck

Reaction score
By the start of season 2, Cookie was now officially named Cookie. He was referred to as Cookie in two different sketches in the season 2 premiere: the "What's My Part?" sketch, and the Grover scared in the woods sketch.

Greg