Early Cookie Monster

ssetta

Reaction score
Yes, that's right! And I also noticed that in that bit, Guy Smiley actually had a TONGUE!

WiGgY

Reaction score
Wow, it sounds like tghese early season 1 Sesame Street episodes had some mean characters. Certianly not as sweet and loving as they are today.

ssetta

Reaction score
I actually liked it when they were mean and crazy and wild. You know, AFAIK, in Season 1, while preschoolers got really scared of the unnamed Cookie Monster, older kids, even in college, thought it was hilarious! They actually used those inserts up until 1992. I think people started to look at things more closely in the later years of the show.

muppet maniac

Reaction score
Ernie: Stupid monster! You ate all of our bacon! How did you like to eat the letter X? I'm writing x's on board, you know!
How dare he say that!Cookie's the man!

CBPuppets

Reaction score
I know Jim Henson Performed Cookie Monster Before Sesame Street. And Frank Oz Performed him When Sesame Street Aired. But I read That Joe Raposo performed him on the ''Everybody Likes Ice Cream'' Sketch.

Tim

Reaction score
Cookie's origin's seem really confused. I'd heard he was created for "The Great Santa Claus Switch", but that's too late. You can see Jim performing him on the Ed Sullivan DVD eating a computer.

There's a story about him in the "Sesame Street Unpaved" book (I think) where one of the writers asked the producer if "Googly-Eyed Monster" (they called him that to distinguish him from the other Sahlin creations) could finally be allowed to talk. They said o.k...just not too much!

CBPuppets

Reaction score
Speaking of Wich Was it season 2 or 3 that Cookie Monster Started to Speak with Simplistic diction? (Ex., ''Me Want Cookie!'')

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
Kuriboh Man said:
Speaking of Wich Was it season 2 or 3 that Cookie Monster Started to Speak with Simplistic diction? (Ex., ''Me Want Cookie!'')

"Monster" remained stupid and barbarian the first two years.

The puppet was modernized and became entirely blue and SMARTER, I might add, (not bluish-green) in the 3rd season premiere 1971, where he eats the letter "M" with Luis (in his first-ever scene too) at the fence next to Big Bird's doors.

"You know what M remind me of? AAAAAHHHHHH-muhmmmmama--(it's good) mmmaaaammmm"