1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Early Reports: Looks like Muppets will be #2 (next to Twilight)

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by dwmckim, Nov 24, 2011.

1. DarthGonzo Member

It also explains why Arthur Christmas is sneaking up so close to it.
  2. zoebell Active Member

yeah, it's the kids. that's the explanation here, guys. adults don't see family movies twice, and if kids didn't have their own connection to it it won't do as well as it could have
  3. Avilos Member

It is too early to worry about it. I doubt many kids see movies on Friday, they were in school unlike last week. Also parents have a say in what kids can see. Kids can not get to a theater alone.
  4. zoebell Active Member

yeah, but they can say what they want to see. and i do think some of the impact of the movie does depend upon knowing and loving the muppets already, so maybe kids didn't connect as much

i mean, when the original muppet movies were coming out (esp the first one), kids knew and were deeply familiar with the muppets already- i'm sure that's what contributed to the huge success of the film. now, they may not have heard of them and going into it, a lot of it's about nostalgia and everything
  5. Muppetfan2011 Member

This week The Muppets will take the number one spot Fer Sure!
  6. Avilos Member

Do kids really see repeat viewing of the same movie much these days? My brother takes my 9 year nephew sometimes. It's his birthday today so they are seeing the Muppets again. But my best friend never would take her 10 and 6 year old daughters to the same thing twice. To save money which I suspect is a factor with most parents these days. Not only is the economy bad but kids have tons of other means of entertainment these days at home, DVDs and video games.
  7. goldenstate5 Active Member

Ughhhhhh no. :(

It won't even hit 90 mil at that rate.

This sucks.
  8. Reevz1977 Well-Known Member

9. beaker Well-Known Member

I dont see the surprise or bad news. As long as it sticks in second. Noone at Disney assumed it would be Twilight.

We have the moral victory. People of all ages light up at the mere sight or mention of Muppets. It's mostly girls with personality defects going to see Twilight, and dragging their hapless boyfriends to see it

I wanted to like Hugo, and I love the love letter to turn of the century cinema...and it is the most amazing use of 3d ive ever seen in a live action film...but it bored me for a lot of its duration.
    heralde likes this.
  10. goldenstate5 Active Member

The "bad news" isn't that Twilight is number one, it's that the Muppets slipped 77% and has proven, despite the modest opening, that it was frontloaded. It will only accumulate a whole of 55 million this weekend, and as the weeks tick on, with Chipmunks (sigh) looming to destroy this picture. However unfortunate it may seem, it looks like The Muppets will only wind up with about 80 million domestic.

Unless it is a gigantic success worldwide, there probably won't be another theatrical film for a long while, as Disney will turn its attention towards the small screen. So, good news, bad news.

Good news: more Muppets!
    Bad news: not in theaters.
  11. heralde Well-Known Member

That's not so important to me. If this movie manages to inspire parents to introduce their kids to more Muppets, then it's done its job.
  12. zoebell Active Member

well, maybe it will be a giant success worldwide. it doesn't open overseas until next year, so it's got some time

i'm disappointed about this though. i really did think it would only have a small decrease this weekend, and would beat twilight for sure. twilight usually falls off a cliff by its third weekend.

plus, i would think a movie that opened to 40 million plus would have no trouble cracking 100 million
  13. heralde Well-Known Member

It really depends on how you look at it. I liked what Entertainment Weekly said:

14. goldenstate5 Active Member

Twilight fell off the cliff, but Muppets fell harder.
  15. heralde Well-Known Member

As the old saying goes, "The wheels of justice grind slow but exceedingly fine." When the Twilight movies are over they will meet a new friend called "movie franchise oblivion." ;)

For The Muppets to get to 2nd at all, especially in front of those other kids movies is an accomplishment.
  16. dwmckim Well-Known Member

The movie basically made its budget back opening weekend...and still has yet to open in several other countries and has yet to be released on home video. Hobo Joe could be the only one to watch the movie next week and Disney would still see it as a success.
  17. beaker Well-Known Member

We won't know til Sunday night if the Muppets literally dropped over 2/3. Everywhere I go when I wear my Kermit shirt people get excited and ask if I saw the movie, but again that might not translate to mass appeal. To me the Twilight thing is a non factor since even if that was out I dont think the Muppet numbers would be any different.

Anyways, Im pretty sure another Muppet film will be greenlit sooner than later. I say they make it a total indie movie and have it under touchstone or something:)
  18. beaker Well-Known Member

Well it beat all four of the major kids movies at the box office. Twilight was not its competition. So that's something to cheer for.

I am a bit stunned in retrospect...I thought all the major buzz and critical acclaim would propel it to do seriously big numbers in its second week

Personally I don't have an emotional investment in the film exceeding box office expectation. Muppet fandom post JH has been underground, below the radar. And like the end of the film, even if they lose what matters is people love them in their hearts. Part of me likes the Muppets being a more exclusive flavor for people

Every middle aged woman in america has disneyana kitch, and every kid has pixar stuff.
    Depending on my mood, I range from "meh" on Disney to not a fan...but then again I have no real emotional tie to classic Disney.
  19. heralde Well-Known Member

It's a lot to cheer for. It beat CGI kids films, that's incredible!

OK, for once I'm surprised at the negativity here, lol. I mean the whole point of the movie was that even if they didn't technically reach their goal, the important thing is that they tried. Plus they still had a ton of fans rooting for them. The same applies to real life I think. :)
  20. goldenstate5 Active Member

The best news is that "The Muppets", no matter how you look at it, is not a flop. So while there may not be any films on the near horizon (or total Muppet overdrive), I forsee a special and other various projects greenlit very soon.

The franchise certainly is not dead.
    heralde likes this.