1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Early Reports: Looks like Muppets will be #2 (next to Twilight)

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by dwmckim, Nov 24, 2011.

1. TripleG

TripleG New Member

I hate Twilight....lol.
    muppetlover123 likes this.
  2. 12Medbe

12Medbe Active Member

I never really got into the series, never read the books or watched the movies.
  3. goldenstate5

goldenstate5 Active Member

To be fair, Twilight would have beaten pretty much anything.
  4. 12Medbe

12Medbe Active Member

Yes, it has quite the fanbase. Is quite an understatement?
  5. muppet maniac

muppet maniac Well-Known Member

I can't decide which is more horrific: the fact that Twi-turd-light made it to #1 at the box office beating The Muppets, or the fact that this poor excuse for a fantasy franchise is what we're getting here in Thailand instead of The Muppets.

At any rate, all I have to say is :eek: and :grouchy:
  6. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

It's popular with an annoying fan base, sure. That's all it needs to be to get that kind of Box Office. The Muppet's TRUE telling of value or worth is if it could come in before Happy Feet, Arthur Christmas, and Hugo. It's a family movie, and it has family movies as competition. Twilight is far too sexual to be a family movie. Maybe something suburban moms take their tweens to, but not younger kids. And let's not forget, Muppets doesn't have an international world wide release just yet. It seems it's going to make budget or slightly better over the weekened. Hopefully the Wednesday spike isn't just from Muppet die hards that wanted to see it on opening day... Something tells me Twilight's only going to get in a couple good weeks because everyone who wants to see it will see it in those two weeks.

Twilight's kinda the reason why Monsters University was bumped from the November 2012 line up... Muppets wouldn't have really fared too well later than the release date it got. It would have been lost in the summer shuffle, if it was released during Christmas, it would've been clobbered by CGI Chipmunks (like Princess and the Frog was). Somehow, the competition seemed stronger in November/December this year than all of Summer... I mean, there was a month or so gap between Kung Fu Panda and Cars, the two most anticipated kid's movie franchises... and even then, they were spaced apart from any of the Super Hero movies. The only kids movies to do poorly were ones that were low key like Judy Moody (who expected that to do well) and some Selena Gomez Prince and the Pauper knockoff. Sadly, also Winnie the Pooh, but that was destined for better things on home video anyway.

So, the movie's doing well, getting great reviews, the small amount of Merchandise is selling sharply... the DVD sales and rest of the international box office will be the judge, but it seems everything's good so far... unless the other bad kiddy flicks get a bump today through Sunday.
    Duke Remington likes this.
  7. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

8. Drtooth

Eh, my sister didn't have one. But the thought of seizures turns me into a hypochondriac and the word seizure triggers my gag reflex. Hopefully that scares some people right into the loving felt embrace of chickens singing "Forget you."

So anyone know if this is still doing strong?
  9. Ruahnna

Ruahnna Well-Known Member

Just a quick point--and I know I don't have to sell anyone here on it:

Most of us will go to see The Muppets more than once. That won't happen with people taking children to kiddie movies. So, don't feel guilty for going more than once--think if it as doing your part to help the economy!
  10. Drtooth

I indeed want to see it again... but I can't decide if I wanna see it again this week, or wait until next. I think I might rather do it next week, ONLY because I get a whole week to digest the film before seeing it again. I'd go every day for the next month if I could, but that's not monetarily possible for me.
  11. robodog

robodog Active Member

My theory is that people are having seizures at Twilight because their brain is rejecting the stupidity they're trying to forcefeed it by watching the thing.
    heralde likes this.
  12. Kelly

Kelly New Member

I think Twilight is just a fad, I don't think it has staying power like The Muppets do as someone else said. I don't think anything could have beat Twilight at this point in time except maybe a Harry Potter movie.
    Puckrox likes this.
  13. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Well folks, let's put it this way....in the world of online critic polling where they take all the professional critic reviews of any given movie and attribute a score to it. Let's see where Twilight vs the Muppets stands:

Twilight: 27%

Muppets: 98%

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/

That means if you take all of the reviews of critics in the world, Twilight only gets a beynd laughable 27%...Muppets gets an Oscar contender, near perfect 98%.

Now look at the faces of people coming out of each movie...and see which ones are more satisfied with spending their $10 bucks. I notice a lot of the Twilight viewer females I saw seeing that movie kind of reflect the cold, un-fun vibe Kristen Stewart provides in spades...whereas people going to see the Muppets when they come out are all animated and Walter like.

Also, who has the front page domination with features, specials, etc on Rotten Tomatoes? The Muppets, with a big Jim Henson retrospective. The other BIG movie site, Aint It Cool News, has exhaustively been covering the Muppets. They refuse to even talk about Twilight.
    Jasonzilla and Bannanasketch like this.
  14. Drtooth

Quality doesn't matter when something's a fad. I think by now everyone who was going to see Twilight saw it by now. It has a fan base that sorta doesn't care the movies suck, or that the acting's wooden, or that Kristen Stewart is just terrible. But let's not forget, there are also those who choose to spend the 10 bucks to see it ironically.

While Twi is slightly cutting into The Muppets' B.O. it's more a question of CGI Christmas claptrap that's holding back the true potential. Twi was going to be number one no matter what (and, again I must stress, Muppets doesn't have nearly the worldwide release Twi has...yet), but it's those other films that families go to that are the strong competition. And so far (unless I hear any different), the Muppets are doing better than those other ones. I forsee TRU spending the next 3 years clearing out Arthur Christmas and Happy Feet 2 toys, like they're the Planet 51 figures that no one wants.

So far, the Muppets have to finish reporting the rest of the Weekend, then the European Box Office, then the DVD sales to show how successful it really is.
  15. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

These big movie franchise fads are always so funny. As soon as the movies are over the fan base will dwindle to a couple of pathetic fan fictions and the occasional "Where Are They Now?'s" in Entertainment Weekly. Always has happened, always will. ;)
  16. 12Medbe

12Medbe Active Member

......(In Animal voice) BEAT Twilight! Beat Twilight!
  17. Drtooth

I think I read that it's official... Muppets opened 2nd, and had over 40 Million. The rest of the kiddy fare didn't even get near that far.
  18. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

Los Angeles Times & Variety are predicting The Muppets to take the #1 spot from Twilight this week.
  19. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Active Member

20. zoebell

zoebell Active Member

yeah, that shocks me actually. it got such a high cinemascore.

i have to say, it must have something to do with the fact that most of the audience last week was adults. family movies need the repeat business that comes from kids.

if it was mostly adults who saw the movie, they won't be repeating much. maybe kids didn't latch on to it like we thought they would