Early Reports: Looks like Muppets will be #2 (next to Twilight)

smalltimecrook

Reaction score
If it takes the estimated $50M over the holiday weekend and is only beaten to the number 1 slot by one of the most commercially successful movie franchises in recent cinema history, that is by no extent of the imagination a disappointing opener, but incredibly good news for Muppet fans everywhere.

beaker

Reaction score
If it takes the estimated $50M over the holiday weekend and is only beaten to the number 1 slot by one of the most commercially successful movie franchises in recent cinema history, that is by no extent of the imagination a disappointing opener, but incredibly good news for Muppet fans everywhere.
Well Woody Allen's Midnight In Paris barely made any money the first few weeks...its now gone on to be one of the biggest grossing films of the year.

robodog

Reaction score
The idea of Twilight coming out ahead of the Muppets sickens me. I knew it was a foregone conclusion, but it doesn't make it any less annoying. But I look at it this way. Ten years from now no one will remember Twilight while the Muppets will still be chugging along winning new fans and entertaining old ones.

beaker

Reaction score
The idea of Twilight coming out ahead of the Muppets sickens me. I knew it was a foregone conclusion, but it doesn't make it any less annoying. But I look at it this way. Ten years from now no one will remember Twilight while the Muppets will still be chugging along winning new fans and entertaining old ones.
Shoot, I wouldnt date a girl who liked Twilight. Just rubs me the wrong way (the whole franchise) ...I mean what is the point of it? I mean we know what Harry Potter represents. We know what LOTR represents. What is the nuts and bolts of Twilight? I just dont see the appeal, and I actually sometimes love novels of love, macabre themes and similar stuff

Beauregard

Reaction score
Hmm...Twilight hating is way too easy.

But its a little unfair to say its a lame sex fantasy, when there is literally no sex until the forth movie, and even then its after marriage (something that should be respected from a modern movie in a Hollywood that usually relies of sex-sells).

Don't forget that when the book/movie first came out, it was quite a unique twist on A. Vampire movies and B. Boy-meets-Girl movies. It is only with the subsequent over-saturization of young-adult novels and tv shows filled with vampires, werewolves and inappropriate romances that the premise of the 'original' Twilight was weakened.

Now I sure hate that every shop has something Twilight themed (Packlunch boxes, calendars, t-shirts, posters, etc). My friend and I always buy each other the MOST ridiculous merch from that franchise as a joke.

But the original book, the storylines, and the 'world' of Twilight are still things that I am a fan of. Its an interesting story about restraint, obsession, the meaning of love and finding 'the one'. (Even though I'm a Jacob shipper...)

goldenstate5

Reaction score
http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/

Estimates went down from 7.3 to 6.6, sadly.

Don't panic! It's a Wednesday, and the number was going to be predictably low. (don't listen to idiots at DHD, they have no idea what they're talking about)

Thursday should be on this level, making for 12-13 million. Friday is the telling day, that's when you know whether or not this film sinks or swims. WOM looks to be good, so legs hopefully will show from there.

Puckrox

Reaction score
My friend and I are going to see it tomorrow. I may see it Saturday night again. Anything to help out. <3

beaker

Reaction score
My friend and I are going to see it tomorrow. I may see it Saturday night again. Anything to help out. <3
Same here! Im going to the biggest busiest mall in my whole area with friends, getting as crazy muppet nerd dressed as I can, and seeing it at night there. If anything, I'll get some odd looks and hopefully meet some cool people...and hopefully get to see it with an enthusiastic vocal audience without problem children

bluebomber95

Reaction score
It's already earned more than Muppets From Space. But so most things make more money than MFS.