Easter Banner Menu

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Regarding the use of the name Easter for the day of Jesus' Resurrection from the dead- (pulled this from
http://www.religioustolerance.org/easter1.htm - a site about religions but not necessarily aligned with any particular one- so it's fairly unbiased)

An alternative explanation has been suggested. The name given by the Frankish church to Jesus' resurrection festival included the Latin word "alba" which means "white." (This was a reference to the white robes that were worn during the festival.) "Alba" also has a second meaning: "sunrise." When the name of the festival was translated into German, the "sunrise" meaning was selected in error. This became "ostern" in German. Ostern has been proposed as the origin of the word "Easter". 2

There are two popular beliefs about the origin of the English word "Sunday." It is derived from the name of the Scandinavian sun Goddess Sunna (a.k.a. Sunne, Frau Sonne). 5,6
It is derived from "Sol," the Roman God of the Sun." Their phrase "Dies Solis" means "day of the Sun." The Christian saint Jerome (d. 420) commented "If it is called the day of the sun by the pagans, we willingly accept this name, for on this day the Light of the world arose, on this day the Sun of Justice shone forth." 7

- Essentially St. Jerome's explanation is a similar one to what I imagine would be suggested for Easter. Even if it is originally named after a goddess of fertility, as with Christmas, the Christian church replaced the pagan holiday with the Christ-centered one Christians are familiar with today- and a celebration of fertility still works- because fertility is associated with reproduction and new birth- and that's what Jesus is all about- rebirth in particular. He said that He came to give life abundantly in John 10:10. So I think the name is still apt.

I know the Muppets have been big on Christmas through the years and I'm glad that in at least 2 productions they have depicted the birth of Jesus, as it's the central event of Christmas.
If Sesame Street would ever do an Easter special, then in an effort to really be educational, hopefully it would offer more than just information on the Easter bunny, the rebirth of flowers in spring and pagan gods- but also the reason Christians have the hope of eternal life- through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

In any case, I wasn't necessarily trying to criticize the current Easter banner- I was just saying that I'd like to see the Christian aspect of Easter recognized too.