"Edgy" New Muppet Show: What happened?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Krazedmuppet said:
Ok, lets look at the kids show they do have on now, hmm Stupid Anime, more stupid anime, and oh! even more stupid anime (I mean its not even the good stuff, the only 3 "good ones" there was was Salior Moon, Digimon, and Pokemon (no IM not a fan, and wich that show would die, its just one of the better anime)
Personally I hate all three with a vengance. Pokecrud and Digicopy are perhaps the worst shows to come out of there (not to mention Blowblade) and I hate chick flick grade animes almost as much as I hate Megabattel supermonster/card/top/ crap type shows. I don't expect anyone (other than myself) to watch (or like) Kirby (I think it's pretty good. I like video game cartoons) or Ultimate Muscle (the only kids anime show where the characters actually fight each other instead of hiding behind monsters cards or tops... and it's pretty violent anyway, though G! Kinnikuman is leaps and bounds better... trust me on this I know of a place to download the comics, I'll post the address somewhere else. personally I'd much rather watch that a trillion times more than UM, but there is no way to in the US... it's hideously gorey) but they are soooo much better than Pokejunk and Digicrap. Sonic X is the king of the hill IMO. I mean, even the redubb is cool. I personally like Mike Pollick's (sp?) work as Dr. Eggman. He is definately the best Robotnik/Eggman in all the sonic series so far (and I'm a biiiiggg Jim Cummings fan).

But personally, shows like Beyblade, Digimon, Pokemon, and Yugioh need to be (as Barney Fife would say) Nipped in the bud!

Gusworld

Reaction score
Luke said:
The only thing I personally know for sure is that licensee's (like Palisades, Sideshow etc) were definitely told in December 2002 the show had been green-lighted for 13 episodes. Seems like it went downhill shortly after that.
If I were a licensee, that kind of remark would actually make me suspcious. Very few shows these days get a guaranteed run of even 13 episodes -- the networks like to reserve the right to axe things that aren't working very quickly. Successful production houses can get a full season order, but in television terms, I don't think the Muppets brand would have enough clout for that (though I guess the Todd factor needs to be considered as well).

Please note I'm not disputing for a second Luke's claim that this is what people were told (he's got sources, I'm just ruminating) -- just saying that announcing this to licensees was overly enthusiastic.

Cheers
Gus

Luke

Reaction score
Gusworld said:
If I were a licensee, that kind of remark would actually make me suspcious. Very few shows these days get a guaranteed run of even 13 episodes
Nobody told me the word 'guaranteed' had been used, maybe Henson had mentioned they got the green light and hoped to make 13. I do agree it seems a little over-enthusiastic but then we don't know what was going on at the time. The source was actually one of the licensees.

beaker

Reaction score
Luke said:
Nobody told me the word 'guaranteed' had been used, maybe Henson had mentioned they got the green light and hoped to make 13. I do agree it seems a little over-enthusiastic but then we don't know what was going on at the time. The source was actually one of the licensees.
Didnt someone say in another thread that Kermit the Frog hinted there might be a show yet in the works? I think we can all agree that by 2005 there will certainly be a new Muppet show(hopefully in 2004)

Luke

Reaction score
I think Steve hinted but no indication how definite anything is. If the last years have taught us anything it's that you can't predict anything.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Luke said:
I think Steve hinted but no indication how definite anything is. If the last years have taught us anything it's that you can't predict anything.
someone give the man a cookie!

(hope ya know I'm just a playin' with ya!)

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
I've just slaved for HOURS making cookies, and you want to give him a muffin?!?!?!

Whatever

Reaction score
Okay, give him a cookie then. I didn't know you had made cookies, you said "someone give the man a cookie"!

Gonzo

Reaction score
BTW,

At the NYC Barnes & Noble appearance, Steve Whitmire mentioned a TV Series in the works (I'm assuming for ABC now) for 2004-05...