ELMO on "Today" Show 9-6-05

JimmyDeanDog

Reaction score
Elmo a Muppet

Certainly after 22 years of doling Elmo, I have the utmost respect for Clash.

However when watching this interview, I just thought he'd AT LEAST mention the Muppets and Jim Henson...who actually IS the creator OF Elmo, right?...

It's like Carol Spinney being on TV and NOT acknowledging the fact of
being with a great duo of Henson and Frank Oz...

In many hearts and minds, Jim Henson 'IS' - and always 'WILL BE' - THEE Muppets -

Really don't give a dang who owns them now....

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
He has mentioned the before in interviews. But Tim's right. certantly Without his talents he would not be where hs is today. That's true about show bisness.

Just out of curiosity, what did he talk about?

wes

Reaction score
I given this a long hard thaught, although most muppet folks hate Elmo (or the red demon as most of us call him) there's really not reason to hate Kevin Clash they guy Is a very good puppeteer and has other charactor besides Elmo( Clifford,Leon, Baby Sinclair, hoots the owl, Ect...)He has been in the business for Way over 20 years, he was even with Captin Kangaroo. Kevin Clash is one of the top muppeteers Beside Jerry, Carroll, Steve and Brain. So I since a little "Puppet Envy", So hate the Game not the Player!!

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I think that is well said.Earing your way up the muppet ranks kinda prove how talented and skilled you are for any of the puppeteers. But Bill is also a very top Primary Muppeteer also.

CoOKiE

Reaction score
Maybe i'm not in the right spot to say somethin... i didn't see the interview, but like what was said, he has been in ALOT of interviews mentioning working with the Muppets. So, for one interview, he doesn't mention them, i'm going to assume the interview was about him this time, more so then his work. If you're having an interview, would you mention the school princibles that hired the teachers that have gotten you where you were today? I know he has a book coming, or is already out, so maybe it was about the book and HIS life.

wes

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
I think that is well said.Earing your way up the muppet ranks kinda prove how talented and skilled you are for any of the puppeteers. But Bill is also a very top Primary Muppeteer also.
Did I miss something Who's Bill, Bill Barretta, if him then yeah he's good but i think Kevin has been their longer

MelissaY1

Reaction score
JimmyDeanDog said:
Certainly after 22 years of doling Elmo, I have the utmost respect for Clash.

However when watching this interview, I just thought he'd AT LEAST mention the Muppets and Jim Henson...who actually IS the creator OF Elmo, right?...

It's like Carol Spinney being on TV and NOT acknowledging the fact of
being with a great duo of Henson and Frank Oz...

In many hearts and minds, Jim Henson 'IS' - and always 'WILL BE' - THEE Muppets -

Really don't give a dang who owns them now....
Jim Henson created the Muppets as an entertainment entity yes, but I don't believe he came up with the original idea for Elmo. If you know your Sesame Street history, Elmo was on the show as a generic monster long before Kevin Clash became his primary performer and made him what he is today. I do believe the puppeteers have some input into what the characters are going to be, but ultimately the writers, producers, etc. come up with characters for the show THEN see what the performer will come up with to enhance that character further.
For example, the recent new addition Abby Cadabby: the WRITERS for Sesame felt the need to add a new female character, not the performer of Abby. I'm sure if Jim Henson were still alive he would have some input into what new characters are added to the show to some extent but he did NOT create every Muppet character up until now.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
wes said:
Did I miss something Who's Bill, Bill Barretta, if him then yeah he's good but i think Kevin has been their longer
Who's Bill Barretta?? Have you been watching any Muppet projects for the past 10 years at least? Bill Barretta started off doing the walkaround/physical performing for Earl Sinclair on the T.V. series Dinosaurs and has since gone on to perform Clueless Morgan and others in the film Muppet Treasure Island, Pepe the King Prawn in Muppets From Space, on Muppets Tonight (where he also performed Bobo the Bear, Johnny Fiama, etc.) He's also done performing work in Kermit's Swamp Years, production work on various mini-series, etc. He's become one of the core group of Muppeteers today.

Check out this link for a full list of Bill's credits:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0057321/

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
wes said:
Tht's the bill I'm talking about. True, kevin has been there longer, but you can't deny just how talented Bill Barretta is, though.

CoOKiE

Reaction score
MelissaY1 said:
Who's Bill Barretta?? Have you been watching any Muppet projects for the past 10 years at least? Bill Barretta started off doing the walkaround/physical performing for Earl Sinclair on the T.V. series Dinosaurs and has since gone on to perform Clueless Morgan and others in the film Muppet Treasure Island, Pepe the King Prawn in Muppets From Space, on Muppets Tonight (where he also performed Bobo the Bear, Johnny Fiama, etc.) He's also done performing work in Kermit's Swamp Years, production work on various mini-series, etc. He's become one of the core group of Muppeteers today.

Check out this link for a full list of Bill's credits:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0057321/

I believe they were asking "who is Bill? Do you mean Bill Barretta?" not "who is Bill Barretta?"