Elmo takes over Sesame Street

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Here's what Sseta says:

I believe they're all set for Seasons 35 and 36, but we don't know what will happen after 36. The show really is in danger of being cancelled, or turning into 100% Elmo's World. Let's just hope for the best. What I have said in the past is that Elmo is pretty much the only character kids like now. They don't like those old characters anymore, because they're too old. Maybe they'll use them occasionally on Elmo's World, like they do now, but that's it.
Honestly, it looks like a posting of 'ideas,' not reality. These would be his/her opinion. First and foremost, because to kids, Cookie, Ernie, and Bert ARE new!! They're old to some of us because we're getting old and have seen them for years, but to a 6 year old, they've only seen them for MAYBE 6 years, but you know kids don't remember the first 2 years.

Secret Squirrel is a member who has the inside scoop of things, and we always value his input!! Here's what he had to say about things:

I can't confirm ssetta's information/speculation. I can confirm that recording is taking place in May/June for new Elmo's World and new Journey To Ernie segments. This is part of the regular schedule. EW and JTE are now always shot separately from the season proper. Sesame recording dates are in the last two to three months of the year.
ssetta goes on to state that his information comes from:
Christopher Cerf from Sesame Street who told me all those things. Because he used to work on the show, he was a major songwriter. He's the one who invented all those rock parodies, and he was Chris of Chris and the Alphabeats, and has sung many times on the show. But they never use his stuff anymore, and he never writes anymore except for kiddy things. That's how he knows about this.
Thus, I beg to question that since our friend Chris doesn't work there, how would he know their plans?

I do not think we have anything to worry about where Elmo is concerned about taking over the street. I think those of us who have been with the show for years and years wouldn't let that happen, and I doubt that Kevin Clash would allow it, either. Besides that, SS has too much invested in those characters to delete them over Elmo, and their money is made from Cookie Monster, Big Bird, Ernie, Bert, and others.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Well, here's what I'm thinking COULD (but most likely won't) happen. If Sesame Street got canceled, with how popular Elmo supposedly is, I don't think he would take over Sesame Street. This could go both ways. If SS got canceled, or if it didn't, I think there's a big possibility Elmo could get a spin-off show. If SS wasn't canceled when this happens, it'd free up SS for other characters to take the spotlight. The Elmo-haters wouldn't have to watch his show, and us Elmo-lovers would watch both. Everyone wins that way.

Oh, to be in charge of the Henson company!

ssetta

Reaction score
The reason why Chris knows this is because he has spoken with the people at Sesame Workshop, and the people at Noggin, like Mary Parker, the woman who made the decision to do away with the old Sesame Street. He knows that Noggin doesn't like Sesame Street anymore, because they have to make room for new and better shows. I know, we don't think they're better, but the majority of Noggin's audience likes their new shows better.

I think the reason why Season 25, which was for preschoolers, wasn't very popular on Noggin because people were actually complaining about the fact that it doesn't have Elmo's World. Instead, it had all these 50 characters who they DON'T have anymore, and kids won't recognize them. I mean, kids of today don't know who Roxy Marie is, or Joey and Davey Monkey, or any of those short-lived characters from the early 90s. Also, I think they spent more time around the corner than they did on the main Sesame Street. And kids of today will have no idea what that place is. And most of all, the show was too complicated, and at the time, it was for an older audience. I mean, I'm sure some 5 - 8-year-olds might like those Season 25 shows, but that's not who it was mainly geared for, and that's not who Noggin is geared for anymore. This might sound amazing, but Sesame Street was never geared for older kids. I'm sure there were a lot of older kids who LIKED it back in the day, but that's not who it was mainly geared for.

In my opinion, I don't know if this is true, I think part of the reason why so many older kids watched Sesame Street is because there weren't that many appropriate shows geared for older kids. Their only other choice was all those violent cartoons. So the parents didn't let their kids watch cartoons, but everyone made fun of them for watching Sesame Street. I think the reason why they came out with more shows for older kids is so that they would have something appropriate to watch that they like without being made fun of. And because of that, Sesame Street doesn't need to be for older kids anymore.

Secret Squirrel

Reaction score
Guys. Totally respect ssetta's information and sources. If planning is taking place for seasons 35 and 36, that's great. It's a lot more security than many shows have, as most are renewed season by season.

Regarding Noggin's interests and requirements. It's my understanding that PBS commissions new episodes of Sesame, not Noggin. If Noggin found a lack of audience for season 25, that in no way affects PBS's order for episodes beyond the current season (34).

sfgirl. "a friend of mine in Australia told me that they have "elmo's world" in the afternoon as a 15min show and SS is 30min in the morning. I guess they cut 15min that they don't like."

A number of overseas markets are now screening Elmo's World separately. I'm told that the trims to the remainder of Sesame Street are for cultural reasons rather than personal preference. For example, Spanish Word of the Day is perhaps less relevant in Australia/New Zealand.

Mikealan, you have nothing to worry about. Nobody at Sesame Workshop wants Elmo to "take over" anything.

secret squirrel

Mr.Penguin

Reaction score
Man, mikealan! What is with you and these Muppet hate threads! You make me mad! :big_grin: .........wait I mean :mad:

ssetta

Reaction score
Actually, I agree with Mikealan about him taking over. He sure has taken over the whole street, and will continue to do so until he ends up with his own show.

Hays

Reaction score
ssetta said:
Actually, I agree with Mikealan about him taking over. He sure has taken over the whole street, and will continue to do so until he ends up with his own show.
Whereupon Sesame Street will return to "normal" I'm all for that!

Dave Thomer

Reaction score
At the risk of being too much the optimist . . .

I have a 5 year old nephew, a 2 year old niece and a 1 year old daughter. They all like Elmo. The character has an undenaible appeal to the show's actual target audience. I think that's great.

I still don't get the whole 'Elmo has taken over/ ruined the show' vibe. With Journey to Ernie, Letter of the Day, Global Gorver and to an extent Number of the Day, a number of older characters get their own solo chunks of the show. Elmo shows up in the Street segments a lot, but so do Oscar, Big Bird, Telly, Zoe, Rosita and Baby Bear. It seems like a fairly healthy mix to me.

I have no idea how well the show is doing nationally or anything like that. The only sample I have to go on is my daughter every day. If she's at all typical, there's still plenty of an audience for the show.

muppet maniac

Reaction score
I still don't get the whole 'Elmo has taken over/ ruined the show' vibe. With Journey to Ernie, Letter of the Day, Global Gorver and to an extent Number of the Day, a number of older characters get their own solo chunks of the show. Elmo shows up in the Street segments a lot, but so do Oscar, Big Bird, Telly, Zoe, Rosita and Baby Bear. It seems like a fairly healthy mix to me.
I agree with you too.

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
Right now, Elmo is the breadwinner for the show, since his face earns more money merchandise-wise than any other Muppet right now.